Can you and what if?

GoodTimesSlim

Hey everyone,
Long time smoker here. I've made attempts to grow my own in the recent years but something always happens to my plants. Latest mishap involved my cat eating my weed sprouts.
I have a Deep Water Culture priced out and will be getting some OG Kush clones for it in the next couple days.
I'll start a grow journal with pictures.

Anyone know how to infuse taste in the weed?
I love root beer. I want root beer flavored weed. How do I do this?
Make root beer in the same closet as my weed? I read it gives off a lot of Co2 while fermenting and was thinking of doing that. I plan on building a DIY Co2 pump with some bottles, yeast and sugar.
Pour root beer mix in my reservior the last week before harvest?
Put a whole plant into a bucket of root beer a few days before harvest?
Put root beer spices in my reservior?
Flush with diluted water/root beer before harvest?

Also, what about vanilla sticks in your res?
Nice smooth vanilla/root beer smoke.

I'm sure this is all super advanced growing stuff and I should concentrate on getting a plant to just make buds, but I'm a dreamer.

If my plants work out, just for the hell of it, I will soak one in real root beer for it's final week before harvest (if I get that far)

Any tips or advice are welcome.

I'm new to this site, not the internet. Please don't be rude. I'm really really tired of rude people on the internet.
If your advice is "youre stupid, this is stupid, never grow weed ever" just save it.

My DWC and clones should be here in a week or so, so I'll start a journal then.
Also have 10 high THC seeds in the mail from overgrow.ca. No idea the strain. They're giving away free seeds though.
I have some germination experiments I want to try, since I don't have access to rockwool. I'll post those too.

That's it for now.

Hi GoodTimesSlim.

Welcome to 420 Magazine and the community of members that gathers here.

I promise your not the first person here to explore the idea of how to introduce some specific flavor into your plant. I used the search feature some time ago to explore this vary topic, and found a few examples of people suggesting it could be done to a slight degree, but most seemed to suggest attempting to do so would probably do more harm than good.

Some time ago, I had some bag seed growing and decided to dedicate a couple plants to an experiment by attempting to flavor them based on a few of the "I swear this dude I used to know....." kind of stories. Last week or so of harvest, I let the plants get super dry and then watered with regular water flavored with natural mint and strawberry flavoring concentrate about 24 or 36 hours before harvest. I wish I could tell you different, but I personally never could taste or smell any difference. My wife thought she could taske a hint of the mint, but even she would admit that it might have been more the power of suggestion at play.

I'm aware of a couple commercial products out there that claim to influence the flavor, but I have not explored them at all.

Be well and happy growing!

Oh, and again - :welcome:

Hey TanR,
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I've been doing my research and seen a lot of those stories in the threads, which kind of got me thinking about it. Seen some people say "use coke/pepsi" if you're out of nutes cause it has what's needed. A Mexican trick according to some.
Old Mountain man would use molasses on his plants in some way.

Root beer is all natural, which got me thinking about it even more.

Would it harm the plants to have natural herbs and spices floating in the res the whole time?

Like would a few vanilla or cinnamon sticks, REALLY mess up your plant? I can't see it happening, but I know nothing. I've done a couple soil grows that have failed horribly.

I guess it could alter the Ph and stuff.

Thanks for the reply!

Completely understand your questioning of it the topic. I'm afraid I have zero experience in hydro of any kind, so I'm just not qualified to speak to any potential harmful effects.

Upon further research vanilla has a pH of 6.43 and root beer has a pH of 4.03.
I'm sure I can mad scientist up something where everything balances out to the optimum pH for the plants.

I'll build a couple mini bubbler buckets and mess around with some combos.

Maybe even try root beer spices as growing medium.

Should be fun.

Probably way beyond my 0 skill level to get this accomplished.

This is botanist stuff.

I'll make a good effort at pretending I know what I'm doing when I fuck about with my plants.

I was riding with a guy who whipped out some smoke he said he had flushed with a gh rinse product, I think it was banana fusion or something. Maybe a slight banana taste or maybe the power of suggestion? Not my bag,but hey,there was something there :)what about sticking cinnamon sticks in the medium like plant prods?

I'll just throw in my 2 cents.
I don't think the plant will take on the taste/smell of something by putting it in it's feed. Think about the stuff people feed their plants with... manure, fish emulsion, etc... I don't think anyone would use it if it made your plant smell like fish or poo
I have heard of people putting dry orange peels and things like that in their jars when they cure. The possibility of it rotting in the jar seems like it could be a problem... Never tried it myself, but some people say it works. A small jar with a cinnamon stick and a couple of nugs could be a cool experiment. Not sure how to go about trying it with rootbeer though...:hmmmm:

Thanks for the feedback so far members,

Like how did "Lemon Kush" come about?? Was it grown around Lemon Grass? Grown around Lemon trees? Did the root systems suck up citrus oil and then make it part of their genetics? Did it get cross pollinate with lemon trees/grass?

I've smoked some berry strains, that smell and taste a little like berries.

There must be something going on where these smells and tastes are transferred to the marijuana plant.

I don't think I could make weed taste like an exact replica of root beer, but to add hints of it to the smell or taste would be pretty cool.
Same with vanilla or cinnamon.

Ive heard of people using a food colouring dye to alter the colour of ur buds but i am not to sure of success rates but then again could be a myth.Kool idea man ill have to keep an eye out for ur journal champ.All the best

Just an edit for anyone reading this: the website giving away free seeds is overgrowcanada.com not what I have posted in my first entry.

If you're Canadian and want free seeds, check it out.

I would be very careful in what you put in your res. Hydroponics especially deep water culture are very prone to root infections putting organic materials in your res could very well feed pathogens. I would honestly suggest learning in soil. I started my first grow in dwc and it's been a learning experience since day one. Always checking my ph making sure everything is good. I have learned alot but it's hasn't been ez. Your water temps need to be kept cool as well, so those dwc kits come with uninsulated buckets which could a pain to keep your temps down.

I would be very careful in what you put in your res. Hydroponics especially deep water culture are very prone to root infections putting organic materials in your res could very well feed pathogens. I would honestly suggest learning in soil. I started my first grow in dwc and it's been a learning experience since day one. Always checking my ph making sure everything is good. I have learned alot but it's hasn't been ez. Your water temps need to be kept cool as well, so those dwc kits come with uninsulated buckets which could a pain to keep your temps down.

Thanks for the info man. I understand what you're getting at and will keep it in mind. I've screwed up enough plants,so I figure what's the difference if I screw up a few more?

I still gotta buy weed till it's cured and ready, which is like a 6-7 month process. (If I even get my plants to harvest LOL)
Might as well try different shit. I love figuring things out on my own.

Nothing is a waste if you learn something from it, is how I look at things.

Back
Top Bottom