Cannabidiol Enhances The Inhibitory Effects Of THC On Human Glioblastoma Cell

Julie Gardener

Cannabidiol Enhances the Inhibitory Effects of Δ 9 -Tetrahydrocannabinol on Human Glioblastoma Cell Proliferation and Survival
Abstract

The cannabinoid 1 (CB1) and cannabinoid 2 (CB2) receptor agonist Δ 9 -tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) has been shown to be a broad-range inhibitor of cancer in culture and in vivo, and is currently being used in a clinical trial for the treatment of glioblastoma. It has been suggested that other plant-derived cannabinoids, which do not interact efficiently with CB1 and CB2 receptors, can modulate the actions of Δ 9 -THC. There are conflicting reports, however, as to what extent other cannabinoids can modulate Δ 9 -THC activity, and most importantly, it is not clear whether other cannabinoid compounds can either potentiate or inhibit the actions of Δ 9 -THC. We therefore tested cannabidiol, the second most abundant plant-derived cannabinoid, in combination with Δ 9 -THC. In the U251 and SF126 glioblastoma cell lines, Δ 9 -THC and cannabidiol acted synergistically to inhibit cell proliferation. The treatment of glioblastoma cells with both compounds led to significant modulations of the cell cycle and induction of reactive oxygen species and apoptosis as well as specific modulations of extracellular signal-regulated kinase and caspase activities. These specific changes were not observed with either compound individually, indicating that the signal transduction pathways affected by the combination treatment were unique. Our results suggest that the addition of cannabidiol to Δ 9 -THC may improve the overall effectiveness of Δ 9 -THC in the treatment of glioblastoma in cancer patients. Mol Cancer Ther; 9(1); 180–9. ©2010 AACR.

Source with Charts and Graphs: Cannabidiol Enhances The Inhibitory Effects Of THC On Human Glioblastoma Cell

I am a firm m believer in consuming all parts of the plant and not just thc , not just cbd cbn etc.

Is my belief that the mixture of compounds in the plant work as a whole to adjust the physical body / mind
in more then the narrow way that one compound of the plant will.

I referring to preventative medicine and I *believe* the Doctors do not want that but prefer to pin point its use.

Once Pharmacies get a hold of something they pervert it to make as money as they can whilst keeping you coming back for as long as possible.

That being said I am impressed that cannabis is finding its place in Doctor offices.

Amazing what it does for children who suffer from seizers for instance , I could go on. ;) and on..

Back
Top Bottom