Cannabis Tourism In Maine: Thoughts & Ideas?

I would come and pay to stay at your farm just for the experience and to see how you operate...but I wanna do what you are doing one day so I’m already hooked lol! .. maybe a fall harvest trimming weekend (hard to plan obviously)... but like has been mentioned before, all sorts of artsy/crafts, cannabis related stuff would be a draw for me.... and definitely the goody basket!! Always awkward asking people where to find green in a new place.... have you guys been doing any honey/cannabis mixtures?... maybe have a selection of apparatuses for smoking out of? Obviously things break but can get a decent bong/pipe for pretty cheap... greenhouse tours... it is really going to depend on the individual client what they might be interested in.

I honestly think that for me, the biggest draw would be having somewhere safe to consume my cannabis without fear since I consume fairly heavily.... I could have my morning tokes, go out and tour the coast for the morning, come back for lunch and a bowl and take off for the afternoon... you catch my drift I’m sure..... now I gotta go find my passport and renew it lol thanks blew!

I would come and pay to stay at your farm just for the experience and to see how you operate...but I wanna do what you are doing one day so I’m already hooked lol! .. maybe a fall harvest trimming weekend (hard to plan obviously)... but like has been mentioned before, all sorts of artsy/crafts, cannabis related stuff would be a draw for me.... and definitely the goody basket!! Always awkward asking people where to find green in a new place.... have you guys been doing any honey/cannabis mixtures?... maybe have a selection of apparatuses for smoking out of? Obviously things break but can get a decent bong/pipe for pretty cheap... greenhouse tours... it is really going to depend on the individual client what they might be interested in.

I honestly think that for me, the biggest draw would be having somewhere safe to consume my cannabis without fear since I consume fairly heavily.... I could have my morning tokes, go out and tour the coast for the morning, come back for lunch and a bowl and take off for the afternoon... you catch my drift I’m sure..... now I gotta go find my passport and renew it lol thanks blew!
We already offer a totally cannabis friendly farm...the cottage overlooks a pasture which is fringed by the woods and a beautiful stream. We have a hammock, adirondack chairs (both behind the cottage and down by the stream) and we tell guests to "enjoy smoking outdoors"...a nice way to say smoke up, just not in the cottage. You can get baked and stare at the pigs for hours :)
View media item 1648681View media item 1648680
I think we are already popular because a large % of our seasonal guests are cubicle warriors and to be outside in the green and see (real love!) animals is a big bonus to their trip. We get lots of people that come here with a huge list of things they have to do....but if they ask me I always give them a really simple day (hit the ocean 1/2 mile away, talk a walk, lunch, nap, cocktails/smoke, dinner, bed). That is a full day and involves almost no driving and therefore much less stress. We try to remind people they are supposed to be taking a break, not applying their real-world work habits to maximizing their down time.

Surprisingly, we only had one person inquire about cannabis (in general) last summer...out of 35 separate groups. I was immediately like "yeah, I grow it...come look"...they were super interested and I am always happy to show and tell.

So, this is still getting chewed over in my head. I'd love to add more of that component but need to try a few baby steps first.

I do, however, like the idea of a 420Mag gathering!

I do, however, like the idea of a 420Mag gathering!
I'd do that in a heartbeat...but I would need that goody basket for sure since they don't like it crossing the border yet ;)

Good luck Blew...sounds like a win win for everyone that visits your farm. :thumb:

I'd do that in a heartbeat...but I would need that goody basket for sure since they don't like it crossing the border yet ;) Good luck Blew...sounds like a win win for everyone that visits your farm.
We have a sufficient stash :)

Definitely something I would be interested in as well! And a 420gathering would be extra sweet!

I think if you were to market your farm as a cannabis friendly retreat on somewhere like Instagram you would find a huge client base... that waterfall pic alone... I can see myself with a big doobie right up there hahaha.... my wife would want to bring your pigs home with us though lmao

I'd head up there to play with the pigs.... want to get one of them. Nice idea, I'm a few hours south and willing to travel for good people, food, and ganja ;)

interesting! Learned something new! I haven’t been on Instagram in at least 2years, but for something like you want to offer, Instagram reaches the worldwide audience for cannabis travel destinations. I use to refer to it as weed-stagram.

Perhaps set up an account specifically for your rentals and what you offer and “no DMs, email ___ or call ___ for bookings” that way you wouldn’t need to check it all the time and your clients could post pics of their stay with a hashtag so other prospective clients can see what their stay was like... whoops I’m rambling... medicated my bad :ganjamon:... I think you get my point lol

interesting! Learned something new! I haven’t been on Instagram in at least 2years, but for something like you want to offer, Instagram reaches the worldwide audience for cannabis travel destinations. I use to refer to it as weed-stagram.

Perhaps set up an account specifically for your rentals and what you offer and “no DMs, email ___ or call ___ for bookings” that way you wouldn’t need to check it all the time and your clients could post pics of their stay with a hashtag so other prospective clients can see what their stay was like... whoops I’m rambling... medicated my bad :ganjamon:... I think you get my point lol
All that sounds good, i am just a little stubborn in my ways...I hate navigating on a phone...looking for a # to call is bad enough!

Love the ganja tourism Idea, but I think your most interesting idea is that teaching/classes.. Great way to spend a vacation, in a 420 friendly area, and learn how to better grow, may be a very specific demographic right now but with further legalisation more and more of us are going to start growing.

I think your most interesting idea is that teaching/classes.. Great way to spend a vacation, in a 420 friendly area, and learn how to better grow, may be a very specific demographic right now but with further legalisation more and more of us are going to start growing.
Agreed, plus my personal experience is that those people are generally cooler to be around!

Well, Maine finally got their act together and signed into law the "Adult Use Marijuana Policy" (could they have used a more boring name? :laughtwo:)

Retail spaces are slowly popping up in anticipation for the law to go into effect early 2020. Maine brought in a law firm that has "experience" outlining laws for other states...so now there is a lot more legalese to weed through ;). They basically tripled the # of pages for the "retail recreational" and left the home cultivation pretty much untouched. One major change was that they reduced the number of mature (flowering) plants from 6x to 3x for each adult. There are still provisions which make that a workable number, but the main takeaway is grow bigger plants :cheesygrinsmiley: Clearly the 6x plants was keeping local growers (and their friends) well stocked year round and they are hoping that 3x will maybe run thinning the winter and send locals to"adult use" store...unlikely where I live.

I am still pessimistic that this is a sustainable industry in Maine, for starters we just don't have the year round population (1.3M) and the tourism that we get is seasonal and family-centered. Another major hurdle is there are very few places for visitors to smoke cannabis...the law is pretty tight on that, and generally corrals people onto their own property (and out of sight).

Lastly, I am thinking the cost to the State legislature to administrate and police the system will be more than they expect with a revenue lower than they hope.

I still think small scale offerings at a local level will be popular...the law still allows for up to 2.5 oz to be transferred to another adult "without remuneration", which means no money involved in the direct transaction. I foresee lots of "donation" wording in my area :)

Back
Top Bottom