Cannibus oil for milky eye in an old dog

garybo

Hi all, have been told by a relative that Tractor Supply sells an oil that will clear an old dogs (my dog of course) milky eye.
If someone has a review on this subject, I would love to hear from you.
Thankx
garybo

Kinda depends on what you mean by "Milky Eye". Your first stop should be at the vets office, there are numerous conditions that can cause milky eye (cataracts, lenticular sclerosis, glaucoma, dry eyes, etc.), some are treatable, some are not, some can cause vision issues, others do not. The thing with eye issues is, the earlier you get them diagnosed the better the treatment outcome will be. What I'm saying is don't self diagnose or self treat your dog, until you know the cause. Delaying veterinary diagnosis/treatment could cause irrepairable eye damage to your dog.

@Phytoplankton , good advice. Doesn't help though in this case. The dog is a 17 yr old shih tzu and during her last yearly checkup the vet suggested we need to think about euthanizing her in the near future. The white is because she is going blind in that one eye.

I don't euthanize my animals, they die naturally here on the farm. It is cruel to take your pet to the vet and leave her/him there alone to die, they have feelings and like humans, they are scared and do not want to be left alone when mother nature takes them home.

@Phytoplankton , good advice. Doesn't help though in this case. The dog is a 17 yr old shih tzu and during her last yearly checkup the vet suggested we need to think about euthanizing her in the near future. The white is because is going blind in that one eye.

I don't euthanize my animals, they die naturally here on the farm. It is cruel to take your pet to the vet and leave her/him there alone to die, they have feelings and like humans, they are scared when mother nature takes them home.

My vet makes house calls, all done in their familiar surroundings. Very peaceful. Sorry to hear of your dog's situation.

@Raffy2525 , thanks for this information.
I noticed you are sort of new here at 420 and I want to welcome you to the "watering-hole".
Take care and be safe.

@Raffy2525 , thanks for this information.
I noticed you are sort of new here at 420 and I want to welcome you to the "watering-hole".
Take care and be safe.

Interesting. This Raffy person seems to have already gotten themselves banned or deleted their profile.

On topic.. we lost our first/oldest dog in November. He went blind and had a bit of dog dementia occurring. His last few days were a real struggle and I wonder if it wouldn’t have been better to euthanize.

One day he started vomiting and didn’t stop. He was still able to eat and drink but had very low energy. Every time he ate he threw up. A day or two later he stopped eating and would only drink. A day or two after that he stopped drinking. In between stopping eating and stopping drinking he kept getting up and would just stand there wobbling back and forth. We would put him back in his bed and pet him until he fell asleep.

Once he stopped drinking he wouldn’t stay still. He would get up and couldn’t be soothed back down, so he would just stand there wobbling back and forth until his energy gave out and he slunk to the floor. He would essentially pass out for a little bit but then would get right back up and stand there. You could hear his breathing become labored. I couldn’t even force water into him. I would try to put it in the back of his jaw like with medicine and the water would just pour out of his mouth. It was like his throat was closed off.

I took him to the vet and she gave him fluids and recommended we think about euthanasia. He was 15 and had deteriorated quickly. My wife was out of town and she was his person so I didn’t want to put him down until she got back.

After the vet visit he lasted about 72 hours more. Those last 72 hours were filled with him doing the standing up wobbling until he slunk down to the ground. He started pooping himself the last 24 hours and no longer could get up at all. He just laid there with labored breath and the smell of death started filling the house. He struggled like hell to try to stand up but just couldn’t.

He never liked water or the bath so I didn’t want to bathe him and stress him out even though he was pretty much pooping on himself. I just kept him wrapped in a blanket and towel and would change them out for fresh ones every time he soiled himself.

On that final day my wife and kids got home. She cradled him in her arms while I pet him and hummed to him. My sons pet him one last time and told him they loved him and he passed away with us all around him. They had been home for maybe 15 minutes total when he finally gave up.

I am absolutely convinced he was waiting for my wife to come home before he died. The same thing happened with my cousin. She held on just long enough for me to get home from Afghanistan and say goodbye. Within the hour she was gone.

I’ll always wonder if we should’ve euthanized him together so he didn’t have to struggle so hard. My vet allows you to be there for it or not, it’s your call. Those last few days were really brutal and scarred me a bit, which is interesting because I’ve seen humans torn apart in front of me and that was nothing compared to watching my dog die.

That story was much harder to tell than I anticipated. That probably explains the heightened anxiety I’ve been feeling for the past 6 months, although I do feel better having said it (typed) out loud

@Keffka. Your homage for your pet is both remarkable and touching as well.

Presently we have a 19 yr old Shih Tzu that is still hanging on, she is totally blind in one eye, the other one is not too good. Her hearing is probably around 50% gone; we have to raise our voice so she can hear us. Both of her bowel and bladder movements are normal, so far. No unusual pain we can see, she sleeps all of the time and my wife and I take her on walks daily. Overall she is still handing on.

Last year we lost our Boston terrier to age, he went out without too much discomfort. He died with my wife and me at his side touching and talking to him.

We (wife and I) have had 14 dogs during our 55 yrs of marriage. All have died at home. Besides the Shih Tzu, we have a 4 yr old pit bull. He may outlive us and I’ve discussed this with our oldest son who lives adjacent to our property and he will take care of him if we go before he does.

Great narrative you wrote and I hope you find another puppy to love, your local rescue dogs for adoption agency would be a good place to look.

Take care and thanks for sharing your story.

@Keffka. Your homage for your pet is both remarkable and touching as well.

Presently we have a 19 yr old Shih Tzu that is still hanging on, she is totally blind in one eye, the other one is not too good. Her hearing is probably around 50% gone; we have to raise our voice so she can hear us. Both of her bowel and bladder movements are normal, so far. No unusual pain we can see, she sleeps all of the time and my wife and I take her on walks daily. Overall she is still handing on.

Last year we lost our Boston terrier to age, he went out without too much discomfort. He died with my wife and me at his side touching and talking to him.

We (wife and I) have had 14 dogs during our 55 yrs of marriage. All have died at home. Besides the Shih Tzu, we have a 4 yr old pit bull. He may outlive us and I’ve discussed this with our oldest son who lives adjacent to our property and he will take care of him if we go before he does.

Great narrative you wrote and I hope you find another puppy to love, your local rescue dogs for adoption agency would be a good place to look.

Take care and thanks for sharing your story.

Thank you for your kind words, it means a lot. Our first dog was actually from South Korea. I was stationed there in my early 20s and had my wife come over so we could live together. We got him from a local pet store when he was still way too young to be separated (we didn’t realize this until we started taking the dog to the American vet clinic on base) from his pack, and he was one of the only dogs to survive being purchased by an American. He was basically our first kid just with fur lol. I’ve had a lifetime of experience with dogs so I knew pretty quickly he was gonna need a specific diet and regimen to survive.

His passing was one of those reminders of how short life is. My human kids are now 13 and soon to be 9 so when he passed they were old enough to experience the pain.

They also were old and young enough that we decided one more puppy would be good for all of us. They’re at a perfect age where they can love and respect a dogs personal space while also having the energy and discipline to keep up with a puppy. My wife and I are rounding the corner on young/babies/puppies and felt like we were at the perfect maturity to have the patience and understanding necessary to raise a puppy with positive and food reinforcements. Plus my boys only remember an old man dog. They don’t remember what having a puppy with tons of energy and playfulness is like.

So we decided to let the boys experience a puppy.

I knew there would be plenty of options available at rescues as soon as I saw people buying dogs for quarantine. I knew the moment life became sort of normal again the rescues and pounds would be overrun, and sure enough they were. We wound up rescuing a terrier mix puppy.

After the Korean pet store experience, age, and the pandemic, I’ll only ever rescue dogs again. I’ll never go to another pet store or breeder for a dog (unless for some wild reason I need a specific breed which doesn’t sound very feasible). There’s an almost unlimited number of dogs of all kinds available for rescue and once you’ve cleared the hurdle of rescuing your first dog, it becomes infinitely easier to do it going forward.

The puppy was a good idea for the kids, it helped them a lot. My wife struggled for a little while because she forgot how much of a hell raiser our first dog was as a puppy. She could only remember him as a well mannered adult dog. Tank the puppy has grown on her since then and she spoils him all the time now. I took the guilt and bad feelings I had about our first dog (all the wish I would’ve done this with him or done this differently stuff) and have used it to give the puppy an even better life.

Going forward I most likely will only rescue dogs that are out of the puppy stage, or at the very least are a year or two old. Having a puppy requires a state of vigilance, and older dogs need love too.

Dogs are amazing. They can teach so many lessons just by existing, never mind their individual personalities and all the ways they make us smile. I’ll always remember our first dog, and if my puppy could understand I’d explain to him his life is so good now because of our first dog.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this. I know it can get a bit heavy, especially for a cannabis growing forum lol.

@Keffka, thank you for your service to our country.

I'm sure the other folks here at 420 will overlook our "off the record" discussion about our pets. So, getting back on track, I'll do something I've never done before and that is to share a pic of my ladies that are growing out behind my barn, on the south side elevation which is hidded from any visitors.

Take care and stay in touch.

stand alone.jpg

Back
Top Bottom