Canoeing shiny waxy leaves

420Vineyards

Problem: I see my leaves on multiple strains in a vegetative state look waxy, they are shiny, they are canoeing, and they are clawing down.

Environment: I had a low temp running around 59 degrees in the dark and mid 60's when the lights were on. The humidity was around 29%. I got a humidifier and a space heater and got that up to around 74 degrees and 55% humidity.

Lights: 2 X 1000 watt AgroMax double ended metal halide bulbs. The ballasts are turned down to 50% so in theory each light should be kicking at around 500 watts. The plants are anywhere from 3 feet to 1.5 feet from the light.

Strains: Alpine OG, Gorilla Glue, Purple Cheddar, and Purple Snow Bubba. I see the same issues on every plant.

Medium: Organic Soil (Midwest local). I have seen this issue in hydro and soil.

Nutes: Roots Organic
Nute add up
NPK
7.1-.30-2.75
Buddha Grow 2-0.25-1.5
Amino Aide 5-0-1
Trinity .01-.05-0.25

I believe my nitrogen is high. I plan to cut out the Amino Aide in the next feeding since it's so high in Nitrogen.

I thought maybe I had nitrogen toxicity but I don't believe when I did this in hydro that I had a N issue but I still saw the same results.

Question: Any idea what would lead to canoeing, shiny waxy leaves? I do not believe I am over watering. The soil I am using holds water so I apply water every 2-3 days at 1000 to 1500 ML. The fact that I have seen this in 2 different mediums leads me to believe it's the lights, but I am not sure on that one. The lights are the only common denominator.
420-magazine-mobile1376761619.jpg
420-magazine-mobile662812070.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I'm not even remotely close to a professional. However I did read a lot about pest infestations while trying to learn what I can. Microscopic bugs called Broad mites supposedly​ cause those characteristics and some others to plants.

Sent from my Pixel using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Problem: I see my leaves on multiple strains in a vegetative state look waxy, they are shiny, they are canoeing, and they are clawing down.

Environment: I had a low temp running around 59 degrees in the dark and mid 60's when the lights were on. The humidity was around 29%. I got a humidifier and a space heater and got that up to around 74 degrees and 55% humidity.

Lights: 2 X 1000 watt AgroMax double ended metal halide bulbs. The ballasts are turned down to 50% so in theory each light should be kicking at around 500 watts. The plants are anywhere from 3 feet to 1.5 feet from the light.

Strains: Alpine OG, Gorilla Glue, Purple Cheddar, and Purple Snow Bubba. I see the same issues on every plant.

Medium: Organic Soil (Midwest local). I have seen this issue in hydro and soil.

Nutes: Roots Organic
Nute add up
NPK
7.1-.30-2.75
Buddha Grow 2-0.25-1.5
Amino Aide 5-0-1
Trinity .01-.05-0.25

I believe my nitrogen is high. I plan to cut out the Amino Aide in the next feeding since it's so high in Nitrogen.

I thought maybe I had nitrogen toxicity but I don't believe when I did this in hydro that I had a N issue but I still saw the same results.

Question: Any idea what would lead to canoeing, shiny waxy leaves? I do not believe I am over watering. The soil I am using holds water so I apply water every 2-3 days at 1000 to 1500 ML. The fact that I have seen this in 2 different mediums leads me to believe it's the lights, but I am not sure on that one. The lights are the only common denominator.
420-magazine-mobile1376761619.jpg
420-magazine-mobile662812070.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App
Heat and light stress both alone or together cause canooing. If it is heat put some ice on the soil above cool water if they need watering, not too much mind, one extreme to the other in minutes is a bad thing, but get those roots cooled off. If light stress, leaves should be trying to twist and turn away from the light not be praying to the light like they will if everything is in balance and the lights are right. This can also flush colour on the top of the canope and crisp or burn leaves, then they crisp up and die if the light is too intense. Hold your hand palm down and hold it so it is level with the canopy for awhile, if your hand gets uncomfortable your plants will not be happy, they like the same conditions we do it seems so your own comfort in the grow area is a great baromitor when a person figures out how to use it properly. If it is nute burn the edges where they are curling will brown and go necrotic next. Not seeing any deficiencies. No yellowing lower leaves, that would indicate a N deficiency. Check for mites too I see a few small circular bumps on the leaves. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom