Cattle Panel Hoop House Is Going Up!

Morda Grown

I am almost done clearing the area for the hoop house. Had to take out some trees and dig up some stumps but, it will well worth it. Got some help coming this weekend to get it all framed in and the mulch floor done. It will be a big help in growing some descent plants in this area I'm in. I will post some pics when I get closer to using it.

Any one else using one for their grows?

Got all the base framing up today and I'll get it all squared up tomorrow then, get some panels. Once I have those I finish the framing on the ends, doors and fans. I will have to order the plastic so I'm thinking roughly 2 more weeks and she'll be ready for use.

Still having trouble getting the time to get the panels. :( Having a lot of stormy weather and other timing issues. I went ahead and laid down all the mulch for the floor and 2 feet out on the sides. I hope to have the panels by Monday, we shall see. *Crosses Fingers

20210621_160853.jpg

Murphy was at my hoop house build and made me redo some things. Got the panels up and the pressure bowed out the sides. Arggg Looked like rockers on a rocking chair. :oops: Took some digging but, got them fixed by extending the center 4x4 down in the ground a couple feet. Just used 2 4 foot 2x4's (1 per side) and dug a 2 foot deep hole to set them in. They still have a slight bow, but, it is only a 1/4 in out not 1/2 a foot per side like they were. I'm sure there are some people laughing but, damn it, I'm a computer guy not a builder. :rofl:

hoophouse04.jpg

hoophouse05.jpg

The bastard. :)

Looking good so far. That's going to give you some nice space to grow stuff. Tomatoes probably, right?
That jerk always shows up uninvited LOL

Oh for sure, it will also be for garden starts and things that need more grow time. I have a short season here so it was needed. It was because of several late frost/freeze events that killed over half my grow this year that prompted the build though. Even covering them did not help because of the freeze. This happened last week of April into May.

Most looked like this:
FrostFreeze-01.jpg

Yeah, I lost a few hot weather starts to the cold. I started some replacements and I think I'm losing some of them now to the heat. :(

That bastard Murphy sure gets around.

Do you have a way to shade them?

I am almost done clearing the area for the hoop house. Had to take out some trees and dig up some stumps but, it will well worth it. Got some help coming this weekend to get it all framed in and the mulch floor done. It will be a big help in growing some descent plants in this area I'm in. I will post some pics when I get closer to using it.

Any one else using one for their grows?
I am.

image.jpg

@Azimuth Maybe this will be a bit of inspiration... This is one my Frost/Freeze survivors:

This was a 2weeks after the frost/freeze
Deck-Seed02-01.jpg

Took this today:

deckpot03.jpg

If you can during hot days give it some shade. Or place it some shade if you can move the pot around.

Awesome! Do you have any advise in growing in one. This will be my first time not growing out in the sun. I know I will need to do some changes and any advice would be welcome! Watering will change back to more of an indoor grow since they won't get the rain water.

That tomato cage is a good idea for small plants. I may have to adopt that strategy.

I stake them too, mostly when they are really small. I use the cage more for LST as they get bigger.

Awesome! Do you have any advise in growing in one. This will be my first time not growing out in the sun. I know I will need to do some changes and any advice would be welcome! Watering will change back to more of an indoor grow since they won't get the rain water.
This is my first outside grow so I haven’t figured it out yet. I do run a box fan to keep temps less then 100 degrees. I’m only a few weeks in. Watering is tricky for me because were in a heat wave. People tell me to start them inside and move them to the greenhouse when their a few weeks old so they are not as fragile.

This is my first outside grow so I haven’t figured it out yet. I do run a box fan to keep temps less then 100 degrees. I’m only a few weeks in. Watering is tricky for me because were in a heat wave. People tell me to start them inside and move them to the greenhouse when their a few weeks old so they are not as fragile.
I have plans for fans in the ends, also the bottom sides will be screened in so I can roll up the plastic to get the air flow. That is not only for air flow but also to help keep mold out. I'm going to set up a spot to start plants in the hoop house. I may start them inside depending on the temps inside the hoop house. Some things will be more of a play-it-by-ear sorta thing. I'm thinking of adding a watering system that I can drain in the winter months. I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with my wicking pots or go with fabric pots. So many options to consider.

I have plans for fans in the ends, also the bottom sides will be screened in so I can roll up the plastic to get the air flow. That is not only for air flow but also to help keep mold out. I'm going to set up a spot to start plants in the hoop house. I may start them inside depending on the temps inside the hoop house. Some things will be more of a play-it-by-ear sorta thing. I'm thinking of adding a watering system that I can drain in the winter months. I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with my wicking pots or go with fabric pots. So many options to consider.
Sounds like you have some great ideas.

Back
Top Bottom