CBD recommendations for formerly feral cat?

kayakiit

420 Member
Hey everybody!

My sister took in a friend's kitten two years ago, who was a few months old at the time and had spent most of his life alone outdoors. Fending for himself for months with no model for socialization seriously shaped his temperament. He's extremely aggressive and anxious. Her arms and legs are consistently covered in deep cuts because even when she's sleeping or sitting on the couch he'll just lunge at her (literally 20-30+ times a day). He can't be pet for more than a second or two without attacking someone's hand or sprinting away in terror. She's done everything she can think of, including walking him for an hour or more (on a leash around apartments) each day and it doesn't help. As much as she loves him, she's at her wit's end, and the poor guy does deserve a break from the constant flight-or-flight hypervigilance.

She's considering CBD if there's an option that's safe and ideally isn't too pricey. He's very slender with an average sized frame at best (roughly 5-6 pounds). Does anyone have any advice/recommendations of CBD products and/or dosages for cats? Anyone else tried CBD for these types of issues (with pets of any species)? Any input that I could pass along would be very much appreciated!

Never tried it on a cat but have successfully used cbd for health issues on dogs. We put 8 drops on a 2 crackers and allowed it to soak, made peanut butter cracker sandwich and fed it to the dog. After 7 days she started to regain weight and her coat changed to look much better. In my mind it helps to treat them long term like 30 to 60 days steady to see if there are improvements... wish I had more info. Go with lower mg dose

conjecture on my part but cats are more reserved and being that the cat wasn’t socialized it’s prob best to not force the interaction but wait for the cat to come to the human. Use high value cat food for this.... open a can of smelly fish based meat and set it nearby maybe in your lap, allow the cat to feed but don’t try to pet a timid feline.... repeat process for weeks on end. She is violating the cats turf by trying to pet him so it responds with fight or flight impulses

old quote about the difference between cats & dogs. Sure dogs come when you call them but cats will take a message and get back to you.

^ what 013 said.
Avoid catnip and silver vine for now, as well.

My cats tend to crowd around us when we're smoking and they obviously get secondary effects from our exhaled smoke. I have a half feral little jerk cat and even she comes to momma when momma's puffing. That said I've always believed cats and dogs are vastly different in their metabolism of drugs so keep doing research and hopefully someone with good solid info will chime in here in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom