Cfl bulb question

Patsbrady0345

So I have the option of 2 300 equivalent bulbs which are actual wattage of 68 or I can get 42 watt bulbs which are equal to 150 watts.Is it worth it to get the bigger bulbs? About 7 bucks more a bulb and a little more in yearly cost to run them.Grow area is not huge.Im planning of running the 2 bigger bulbs in a y splitter off of my one clip on lamp. Then I have a second y split light that's only running 2 small bulbs equalling to 45 watts.

this is the way that I figure out if I am getting the most bang for my buck;

divide the lumen by the watts to see how effective the bulb is verses wattage used.

1600 lumen divided by 23watts = 69.56...cost effective is the higher number...
I have 24 bulbs in my flower room, half 2700k and half 6500k, and in the vegging room I have 8 6500k and I will increase and the plants get larger.

2800 lumen divided by 42watts = 66.66

4200 lumen divided by 68watts = 61.76

That's correct knot, that is exactly what I was referring to when I mentioned that 23 watt bulbs are the most efficient. There is also a variance in judging Kelvin ratings against each other, but that is almost completely due to the skewing of lumens to the human eye and not the actual number of photons released.

Don't forget, only one day left in this months contest for plant, nugget, and member of the month. Link in my signature for easy access.

I saw your answer about multiple bulbs, and thought I would ask you a question or too. First time grower, trying to make as few mistakes buying things...money tight on a fixed income. I have a grow tent 4x2x6. I wanted to grow 3 or 4 plants in 3 gal. Smart pots, using round clamp work lights with reflector, with 3 Y light socket splitters on each, 5 in total which equals 20 bulbs. Are the 23w, 6500k bulbs the only ones I should use? The cheapest place I can find for 20 bulbs is $75.00 plus shipping and tax. Can find less expensive bulbs that say "daylight" but are only 5000k. Can I use a mixture of both to save a little cash, or do you know another way to go. Thanks in advance for any help.

Back
Top Bottom