One high wattage CFL's or several lower wattage CFL's?

spikespiegel

So Ive read and read about everyone talking about how many CFL bulbs they are using in their grow. Now its time to start my own, and I am coming to realize that the cost for one high wattage CFL is lower than the bill for multiple bulbs. So, here is my question,

Which is better for a grow of 2 plants:
one 150-200 watt 2700K CFL bulb for flowering, AND one 180-200 watt 5000K CFL bulb for veg
OR
five 55 watt 2700K CFL bulbs for flowering, AND five 55 watt 6500K CFL bulbs for veg

Any insights on this would be much appreciated. Also, if ive got the number of watts/lumens per plant off please dont hesitate to school me:thanks::ganjamon:

Ive been confused on the same topic so much so that I gae in and got HID Kit. GL though I hope to see the see someinsigt from our vets..

Personally, I prefer to have lower wattage bulbs as they put out less heat and thus can be put closer to the plants. I use 7 23 watt bulbs, 4 goofy 13 watts (just because I have the socket space) and 1 43 watt bulb. I've never had any problems with the 23 watt ones, but I have gotten heat stress from the 43 watt bulb being too close to the plant. Also, with having multiple lower wattage bulbs, you can play around with the light spread and if one of those break the cost is far less to replace than a 150-200 watt cfl.

You are right that a bigger bulb is more efficient, however, in the grand scheme of things we're only talking about a handful of watts being saved which isn't much when you look at the big picture.

Personally, I prefer to have lower wattage bulbs as they put out less heat and thus can be put closer to the plants. I use 7 23 watt bulbs, 4 goofy 13 watts (just because I have the socket space) and 1 43 watt bulb. I've never had any problems with the 23 watt ones, but I have gotten heat stress from the 43 watt bulb being too close to the plant. Also, with having multiple lower wattage bulbs, you can play around with the light spread and if one of those break the cost is far less to replace than a 150-200 watt cfl.

You are right that a bigger bulb is more efficient, however, in the grand scheme of things we're only talking about a handful of watts being saved which isn't much when you look at the big picture.

Sweet! Thanks for sharing your experience. I think after reading this I will stick with a number of the lower wattage bulbs for this first grow. Its just stringing them up thats going to be hell haha:peace:

hi spikespiegel, from what I've read on this awesome site, depending on your grow space set-up look into a couple of powerstrips. I thought about them but ended up using a couple of clamp lights they better suited me & my grow closet. I used 2 23w cfls for veg and 2 65w after I flipped to 12/12 but will be adding 2 more 65w either tomorrow or friday at the latest. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom