CFL Light Tutorial

Cool setup faderharley. It looks like you can use those clip ons to adjust the lights as the plants grow. A very good solution. Keep your friends close and your CFL lights closer. :slide: I've noticed that the camera "sees" the differences in light level better then my eyes. Its a handy way to see how well the lights are placed.

Very nice looking plants. They all look so happy! How many days into flowering were they when the shots were taken?

Thanks for saying so. Those photos are a few days ago. Right now I'm at 92 days into the grow, 51 days into 14/10 light schedule, saw my first pistil hairs 41 days ago, so 41 days into flowering, got about 3 weeks left. I truly enjoy the grow...trichomes are 90% clear, 10% cloudy, so a ways yet..I take alot of photos, it's a beautiful plant to photo imo, todays photos, day 41 into flowering
PB040023.JPG
PB040015-1.JPG
PB040014-1.JPG
PB040012-1.JPG
PB040007-1.JPG
PB040001-1.JPG
PB010022.JPG

PB040025.JPG

Just recently bought 2 68 watt cfl bulbs equivalent to 300 with light output of 4200 lumen's each soft white 2700K for flowering .but i read in your thread you don't recommend them i though high watt bulb would be better.Why don't you recommend 68 watt bulbs? :nicethread:

I'd think the 68w bulb are around 1/2 the output of the 125w bulbs I have on hand to measure. Based on that, I'd guess that a 68w bulb would need to be within 1-4 inches to be effective. My 125w CFLs are at half strength in sq ft candles at around 8". I'd guess that a plant literally lit like a Christmas tree with 68w lights would do just fine.
I have also measured a standard 30w CFL and they just don't put out enough light. The light level drops below 1000 ft candles within an inch of the bulb. (4' on a 1000w)

Probably a silly question but I'll ask it anyway..

So if I've got the equivalent light/spectrum output in CFL's as I have in my 250W MH, will the CFL's consume less energy than the MH? Will it be cheaper to run electricity wise?

It's clear that HPS leaves less to chance during flower although great results can certainly be had with CFL's in flower. With veg CFL's don't seem that different to me than MH based on all the CFL journals I've been reading.

Makes me think using CFL's is a more "eco-friendly" way to go..if there is less energy consumption for the same light/spectrum output.

Thanks!

i think it will be cheaper to run cfl lights then your mh lamp but i think you will get better results with mh

Based on my research, the returns vs. the cost IN VEG of the cfl's done right vs. the mh are nominal. Would I spend an additional week in veg with cfl's vs. mh?

There are some incredible all cfl grow journals here and I'd be happy for my personal use to get those results.

I will go hps for flower though and mh the last two weeks of flower...thanks for the response :rollit:

why do you use mh for last 2 weeks of flower

I've read that it increases bud yield and the plant is done growing and puts it's energy into reproduction.

The MH puts out more blue spectrum light and this enriches resin production in the final stages of flower.

If I've got that wrong...please let me know but I think I may have read that in this thread on page 1 through 4.

:surf:

I've read that it increases bud yield and the plant is done growing and puts it's energy into reproduction.

The MH puts out more blue spectrum light and this enriches resin production in the final stages of flower.

If I've got that wrong...please let me know but I think I may have read that in this thread on page 1 through 4.

I think what you are talking about is mixing the spectrum during the flowering phase of the grow. I add my 6500kelvin range CFLs whenever I notice the first pistils hair, which is the first day of flowering count btw. The light ratio is 2:1 or 2 2700k to 1 6500k. It not only help w/trichome production, but cola structure and fattening of the colas....

Many growers count flowering at the switch of the light schedule to 12/12, wrong! It's to start at the first sign of pistils hairs, that's day 1 of flowering.

Hope that helped :yahoo:

A little color via growing w/CFLs

PB070021.JPG

PB0700151.JPG

PB070012.JPG

I think what you are talking about is mixing the spectrum during the flowering phase of the grow. I add my 6500kelvin range CFLs whenever I notice the first pistils hair, which is the first day of flowering count btw. The light ratio is 2:1 or 2 2700k to 1 6500k. It not only help w/trichome production, but cola structure and fattening of the colas....

Many growers count flowering at the switch of the light schedule to 12/12, wrong! It's to start at the first sign of pistils hairs, that's day 1 of flowering.

Hope that helped :yahoo:

A little color via growing w/CFLs

PB070021.JPG

PB0700151.JPG

PB070012.JPG

dude...I bow to your growing prowess!!

On page 3 or 4, tulip says to another guy that he wants to mix the 6500 and 2700's 1:1 for veg...is that what you do??

:welldone:

2 to 1 or 2:1 for flowering only. I don't mix spectrums for vegging, just the flower stage and that is when I notice the 1st pistils, not only do I bring in the 6500k CFLs, but drop my light schedule to 14 off/10 on instead of 12/12. Helps w/trichomes production and fattening/filling-in of the colas imo. Btw thanks for the comment. I move my CFLs each day, sometimes 2x/day. Our sun never shines identical each day, why should my CFLs, right? Old school aero-hydro growing gets the very best bud imo....take care, good luck

2 to 1 or 2:1 for flowering only. I don't mix spectrums for vegging, just the flower stage and that is when I notice the 1st pistils, not only do I bring in the 6500k CFLs, but drop my light schedule to 14 off/10 on instead of 12/12. Helps w/trichomes production and fattening/filling-in of the colas imo. Btw thanks for the comment. I move my CFLs each day, sometimes 2x/day. Our sun never shines identical each day, why should my CFLs, right? Old school aero-hydro growing gets the very best bud imo....take care, good luck

That makes sense. :thanks:

The big complaint about cfl's is the lumen quick dissipation as the lights get further away from the plants.

From a spectrum standpoint, there isn't anything much better if there is anything better from what I've read. (other than the non option incandescents)

My question is this: If you're limited vertically and you're lst'ing your plants anyway, aren't cfl's really the best choice from a plant health/quality perspective? If the spectrum is better, wouldn't that make them the best choice predicated on low plant height and therefore lower penetration needs?

I'm the type who wants to go the best route possible. My budget isn't low but I'm practical. I'm also trying to rationalize myself into thinking that cfl's would be a good bet for me over HID, which I already bought but am having trouble managing! LOL

From all the results I see, I think it is.

CFL's or T5 lights may indeed be your best option and perform very well if, as you say, you can keep the plants short and get the lights in close.

I still see a lot of wasted lumens in CFL grows due to not using reflectors or at least having the bulbs oriented the right way and/or hanging at the right depth.

You might be able to use a 150w HID, but that will only cover about 2' x 2', so may not be enough coverage for your area.

CFL's or T5 lights may indeed be your best option and perform very well if, as you say, you can keep the plants short and get the lights in close.

I still see a lot of wasted lumens in CFL grows due to not using reflectors or at least having the bulbs oriented the right way and/or hanging at the right depth.

You might be able to use a 150w HID, but that will only cover about 2' x 2', so may not be enough coverage for your area.

Well, I'm going to go for the cfl's. I purchased all the materials for the fixture today and ordered the bulbs from the site most of us go to..1000 bulbs.

I'll post a diy thread about it. The lumen output has jumped up from 22,000 with my HID setup to over 30,000 initial lumens with the setup I'm building.

All 42watt spirals in an inline "12 pack". It won't be enclosed so do you think I'll have heat issues with those?

Thanks for the hit on the reflector..I agree totally and have a nice one planned..at least it will work.

This will be custom for the box so..can't get more dyi now..lol!

All 42watt spirals in an inline "12 pack". It won't be enclosed so do you think I'll have heat issues with those?

You will still be burning over 500 watts. So yes, you will still need to deal with heat in your box.

But should be easier to manage.

Prairie

You will still be burning over 500 watts. So yes, you will still need to deal with heat in your box.

But should be easier to manage.

Prairie

But hopefully not the same heat as with HID??

:peacetwo:

So here is a question..

The Kelvin rating, 6500K or 2700K, represents the spectrum or color of light emitted from the bulb and lumen represents the brightness of those colors emitted? Do I have that right?

I've read that lumens represent the measure of light the human eye can see but that doesn't sound like brightness but more like color of that light...

If this is a stupid question...sorry...just trying to be able to act like I know what I'm talking about! LOL

:peacetwo:

So here is a question..

The Kelvin rating, 6500K or 2700K, represents the spectrum or color of light emitted from the bulb and lumen represents the brightness of those colors emitted? Do I have that right?

I've read that lumens represent the measure of light the human eye can see but that doesn't sound like brightness but more like color of that light...

If this is a stupid question...sorry...just trying to be able to act like I know what I'm talking about! LOL

I believe you are right regarding the lumens.Somewhere I read that it's all about wattage and lumens. Probably read that in a CFL guide. My grow closet does get warm when the CFLs are on. I just open the door abit each day to keep it at a steady 78-80 degrees, before lights out I shut the door and take another temp. reading in a few hours, around 7:00PM, it's about 73-75 degress.

Yes, but once you get over 300 watts or so, heat does need to be handled.

So here is a question..

From Wikipedia: Lumens
a measure of the power of light perceived by the human eye.

Yes, but once you get over 300 watts or so, heat does need to be handled.

From Wikipedia: Lumens
a measure of the power of light perceived by the human eye.

I read that definition but that doesn't quite explain it so easily. Reason being is that the plant doesn't have human eyes and therefore, with this definition in place, isn't relevant to the growing application. Light spectrum is the important value in plant growth.

Unless "power" means "brightness" in this definition that is. That must be it. Lumen = brightness in this case. (or any case?)

I guess it really doesn't matter. The results with enough lights/lumen is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom