Cheap bulk carbon

T0aster

I've read threads where people can't find cheap carbon.
The best place is a garden shop that has pond supplies. 2'nd best is a pet or specifically fish store with pond supplies. 3'rd will be any other pet store. Beyond that use non clumping kitty litter instead. It's not nearly as effective but still works.
Carbon is cheaper than it appears. A gallon will run $20 - $30 on the auction site. That's 231 cubic inches. You don't completely fill the can, you only need a layer of 1/2" to 1". A gallon is enough for a 1/2" layer on a 36" long can with 4" sides.
It can also be reactivated. Rinse the carbon in warm filtered water. After it dries, soak it in cheap unscented rubbing alcohol until it evaporates completely.
Hope this helps.

water stuff is no good wont last the stuff for filters is air charcoal. tried it already and learnt the hard way
Don't use "charcoal", it's not the same thing. Carbon is carbon. It's an element. The only difference is the shape of the pieces.

i think your misinterpreting the whole water and air comparison. It doesn't last as long when being used to filter water It will deactivate and erode quicker than when only having air flow through it.

I've read threads where people can't find cheap carbon.
The best place is a garden shop that has pond supplies. 2'nd best is a pet or specifically fish store with pond supplies. 3'rd will be any other pet store. Beyond that use non clumping kitty litter instead. It's not nearly as effective but still works.
Carbon is cheaper than it appears. A gallon will run $20 - $30 on the auction site. That's 231 cubic inches. You don't completely fill the can, you only need a layer of 1/2" to 1". A gallon is enough for a 1/2" layer on a 36" long can with 4" sides.
It can also be reactivated. Rinse the carbon in warm filtered water. After it dries, soak it in cheap unscented rubbing alcohol until it evaporates completely.
Hope this helps.

I echo the cleaning and reuse of Activated Carbon. Much research has been dedicated to this subject as it relates to both air and water purification. As it relates here to air filtration, good activated carbon can boiled for 30 minutes, sun dried, and then ground up some (I crush it a little in a few plastic bags with a piece of wood and a hammer) to expose additional cavities required to capture the undesired particles. Don't pulverize it all to dust, but do crack the larger pieces into smaller pieces. A cheap alcohol rinse doesn't hurt for the non-water soluble particles that are captured in the medium. Carbon used to filter water requires cleaning more often, it is usually saturated in less than a week. Carbon used to purify air molecules seems to last about 3 months. Both numbers are general averages based on typical smaller volumes of filtered water or air.

I did a lot of googling at times of the research on cleaning carbon. The answer I came up with through the articles I read,though not the one I wanted to hear, was - no, it needs to be cleaned by cooking it at very high temps and can't be done at home effectively. Maybe I'll just have to try it to find out.

If you try enough search engines, it's possible to "learn" that smart folks with doctrines in chemistry determined and agree that drinking water is a bad idea for humans and it is hazardous to our health. I'm a hands on kinda guy, and perhaps a little challenged when I am told that something can't be done. Profit and money drives most research, and most researchers are trying to keep their jobs or grants. Just look at the Pharmaceutical Industry ...
My motivation was money as well, but I was spending too much of it on Activated Carbon! SO I tried a few "home remedies" that other hobbyist people had suggested. Eventually, after several big messes to cleanup, I found a method that allows me to reuse AC 3 or 4 times before it's all turned into powder. I do suggest boiling the Carbon outdoors on a propane cooker and not in your wife's kitchen!

I'm definitely on the same page when it comes to anything DIY. Which is why I looked so long to find a glimmer of hope that I could recycle this stuff. Last year I was about to try broiling a bunch in a propane oven outdoors for an hour or two, but read a few more articles that convinced me I was wasting my time. I have a hundred pounds of used stuff kicking around - I'll try a batch. Thanks! :thumb:

A question- as it's boiling can you smell 3 months worth of odors wafting out?

I'll try to post on it then. It'll be a while before I get around to it. Like - I'll get around to it roughly 1.3 seconds after a spine chilling smell comes wafting through my yard when I least expect it!
Unless my old carbon is completely worn out though, which is never is, it's not necessarily going to be a real clear difference - I usually change it whenever I get very faint whiffs coming out.
How about that smell I was asking about in my edit?

Ok JB, I'm going to make some attempt at boiling and recycling some used carbon today. I have a lot of it. I do have a fairly large pot and I'll put it outside over a fire to make the boiling more practical. The sun drying and pellet crushing may be more difficult but I'll see what I can do.

Back
Top Bottom