Cleaning my (clay) balls?

barto

hydroton, clay balls.. whatever :)

can I clean and re-use them?

if so, how?

or should I just buy new for each grow?

I have no idea, and just completed my first hydro grow and am about to start batch #2

thanks in advance! :thanks:

Barto

Barto,

I would definitely buy new ones. Rinsing them and using them again is just not worth the cost to worry about any issues like salt buildup/nutrient issues. Buy new is my opinion.

thanks,
that's what I decided to do, once I saw how much root matter was attached when I tried to clean them yesterday afternoon

off to the hydro store for a new bag!

I know many people who clean and re-use them and it can be done effectively with bleach and soap (soak then wash/rinse). Our resident Connoiseur PitViper has done so and will buy new Hydroton when neccessary. I know many members/growers who use a top loading washing machine to do this with excellent results.
It all boils down to what you can afford and how much energy you can devote to this, but it can be done cheaply and effectively eliminating the need to replace the balls.

thanks for the tip, I tossed about 30% or so, these had roots attached (and inside?)
the remainder I put in a bucked with a medium flow out of my garden hose and let them rinse and swirl around for about 24 hours ( I deep soak some of my trees 24 hours at a time)

Ive grown alot of plants in hydroton...buy 3 50 ltr bags at a time. I reuse about 60% of them. I do use an old top load washer...works GREAT. they say that you can have PH flucuations after too many uses...the fix is to rebake them at X degrees and Y time....I just but new at that point.

Yeah, a washing machine works great.

Other thoughts:

Root material? Remove the large easy-to-do stuff and then let everything dry fully. It will be much easier to deal with. A screen with fairly large holes, a few shakes, and a fan might then remove the majority.

Sterilization? A mild bleach/water solution worked decades ago and it still works.

Salt buildup? White vinegar will dissolve most salts, calcium, et cetera. Probably a few rinses with HOT water afterwards to remove any remaining vinegar.

I had not heard that about re-baking in case of pH fluctuations. I had always been under the impression that they were caused by salts (being porous, the clay balls might well have salts in them as well as on the surface). I'll have to give the baking idea a try. If I ever find myself growing. If I ever find myself reusing clay balls. If...

It surely couldn't smell the house up more than boiling vinegar in a very large kettle on the stove, lol.

^^^But STG is not reusable at all...(and its prone to compacting.)

Back
Top Bottom