Cloning After Flowering

MadNotAngry

Greetings Good People.

Grew for many years in soil back in the '70s, then took thirty years off for a career in the public health sector. Now since retired, have a few indoor grows under my belt.

Found a delightful strain to overgrow my cabinet. Thinking about planting 5 beans from a seedbank, germinate them a month under CFL, veg them under HPS for another month, then flower them a week or two to sex them. After killing the boys, will take cuttings from girls and germinate them.

Questions:

#1 Once the girls are known, should they be placed back in veg for a period, then clone; or clone them right away?

#2 Is it harder to clone from flowered mom's? Does it take longer for them to root, or are there other considerations?

#3 How many cutting can one plant tolerate? If only one plant is female, waht would be a high number of clones to harvest?

Thanks for any help, friends.

MNA

I'm new to this indoor stuff myself so I know little, even less on cloning, I have heard of people sexing the plants like this and then putting them back in veg, but I'm not sure about when to clone. One thing to think of though is this, if you got a male seed from a seed bank, of say White Rhino, and had two ladies why not move the boy and one girl out of the flower tent, into a veg room, not sure if other plants can be there or not, if their in veg I'd think it'd be safe, but check with someone to be sure, then you could either collect pollen and place some on a few buds of one of the females or let just let the female sit close to the pollinating male, I have heard of surrounding the female with males but if you only have one.... This way you could do clones and have seeds to forever keep that strain going, clones can do that, but if you have to tear down for some reason and lose all your plants, you got the seeds! just a thought, I'm new but I already know there are 100's of ways of doing this and being very happy, and thats what counts, have fun and safely treat your ills, does it get any better?

yes you can collect pollen from males just make sure to do so in far away from any females, in a separate tent/room that is vented outside

Thanks Bike, let me ask...does the room I pollinate in really have to vent outside, if its in another room? I only ask because when I set up I may have to have one tent in one room and one in the other until I can afford to do something with my electric, there is only one circuit for the whole room and you shouldn't run more than 13 amps total for the whole room. The veg tent will have an air cooled 400W MH in a 5X5 for now, and I'm hoping I don't have to buy 2 carbon filters and blowers, right now the plan is to only carbon filter the flower tent, from what I hear veg plants don't smell very strong and that is where I plan on doing the pollen thing. Thanks for any help brother!

Doesn't HAVE to vent outside, but the crucial thing is to keep the boys and girls well segregated, especially air-wise. Reefer is a wind-pollenated plant. That is, the pollen is dropped out of the male flowers and drifts around till (hopefully) landing on a nice receptive female flower part. It can and will travel a long way through the air.

One strategy is to grow together, but remain vigilant about the male flower development. The flowers will actually start to open before pollen is released. Wait till they are pretty mature then remove from the common grow area. Anywhere is fine- as long as the plant stays alive, the flowers will open, and allow you to collect the pollen. You can even mostly chop down the male (once you know its the one you desire) to keep most of the light and space for the ladies. Opening flowers can even be cut from the male, if they are relatively mature, and they'll finish opening off of the plant.

Once you have a flowering male, you'll understand this a bit better. There are threads here with pics, etc., so look to them for more pointers.

-N

what you should do is label eaach plant "Plant 1,Plant 2, etc." and while they are still in veg take a clone from each plant, then label the clones accordingly, "Clone 1 = plant 1 and so on".
then put the clones into flower and once you see signs of sex you will know which plants to keep and which ones to destroy

Wow I will do it! Great idea :thanks:

Greetings;

Back to my original questions:

Questions:

#1 Once the girls are known, should they be placed back in veg for a period, then clone; or clone them right away?

Straight forward question. Does one wait after determining gender and veg first, or clone right away.

#2 Is it harder to clone from flowered mom's? Does it take longer for them to root, or are there other considerations?

I understand the idea of taking clones first, then flowering them, and killing off the males and clones from males - I am asking if it is any harder to wait till after gender is known to collect clones.

#3 How many cutting can one plant tolerate? If only one plant is female, what would be a high number of clones to harvest?

Seriously? Not one suggestion?

Hey Mad: Yeah you can do it either way, take the clone and leave the plant in flowering or if its just been a week or two in flowering, you can put her back in veg. If it's been more than a couple weeks, then take all the top and mid buds off, and leave the lower buds on before it goes back to vegging.
If you take a clone in flowering the clone will just take longer to form roots than if you cloned during vegging and it's no harder than knowing the sex when cloning than not knowing. If you decide to leave the plant in flowering after taking clones, and then see its a male, just throw the clones out. It will respond back to vegging but be less stressed if you keep it at low lites til you see new sprouts.
From what I've read you can take as many clones from one plant (aka Mother plant) as you want but taking a clone from a clone will loss it's potency after the 3rd cloning from a clone. Most people keep a mother plant and keep repotting her as she forms new roots; I just hope for 1 male from a good strain to pollen a few buds for seeds. Good Growing to ya. P.S. you can also sex out one node while vegging by covering that one branch for 12 hours; takes about 2 weeks.

Greetings;

Back to my original questions:

Straight forward question. Does one wait after determining gender and veg first, or clone right away.

I understand the idea of taking clones first, then flowering them, and killing off the males and clones from males - I am asking if it is any harder to wait till after gender is known to collect clones.

Seriously? Not one suggestion?

#1 Once the girls are known, should they be placed back in veg for a period, then clone; or clone them right away? Not sure

#2 Is it harder to clone from flowered mom's? Does it take longer for them to root, or are there other considerations? not sure

#3 How many cutting can one plant tolerate? If only one plant is female, waht would be a high number of clones to harvest? Depends on how big the mother is an how many branches there are on it.

There yo go i answered them to the best of my ability

Back
Top Bottom