Cloning Help

shogan163

Hey guys, first attempt at cloning...

2 Questions.

1st Question:

I have grown 6 beauties from seed... and from the info I have read, have taken 1 clipping from the plants to root and then determine which are males and females... however I used the very top of all the plants.

Just curious if the top is ok for cloning... or if you must use a clipping from a lower "new shoots" at the nodes?

2nd Question:

Is it ok to change light cycle to 12/12 to see which flowers plants are producing and as soon as it is clear switch it back to 24/0 to switch them back to vegging?

Hope this was clear..

Cheers.

2 Questions.

1st Question:

I have grown 6 beauties from seed... and from the info I have read, have taken 1 clipping from the plants to root and then determine which are males and females... however I used the very top of all the plants.

Just curious if the top is ok for cloning... or if you must use a clipping from a lower "new shoots" at the nodes?

2nd Question:

Is it ok to change light cycle to 12/12 to see which flowers plants are producing and as soon as it is clear switch it back to 24/0 to switch them back to vegging?

Hope this was clear..

Cheers.

I'll try to help you out. Hopefully I understand. You are saying that you grew 6 plants from seed and cut all or one (?) of the tops off to try to clone these top(s). Before you cloned these top(s), you did not know the sex of the original 6?

1. I have never heard or attemted cloning a top. I do not believe it's going to work. I guess it depends on how old the original seed plant is. I usually top my plants when the fourth set of leaves appear after germination. The top is just sun leaves. I would use side branching much later from a bushy plant as my cloning selection.

2. Kind of tying these together. I would have cut back the lights on the seed stock plants to 12/12. After determining their sex and getting rid of the males, I would then take cuttings from the females only. I would also put the females back to veg state/or keep them flowering. I have only cloned a male plant one time. A friend want the genetics.

Hopefully this helps and good luck.

2 Questions.

1st Question:

2nd Question:

Hope this was clear..

Cheers.

High shogan163

I don't want to step on anyone's toes but a cutting from the tip is the same as one from the branches. The tip is not normally used as it is tougher and harder to root. A very small side branch will grow into the same plant as the mother as will the larger tip.

You might be best to put the clones under 12/12 while vegging the mothers for now as it can take a month or more to get them back to veg once flowering has started. Once the clones show sex, get rid of the males unless you want to get pollen for breeding. Then take some clones off the females to start new plants. Now that you've topped them they will start putting out side branches and you can take new cuttings from them. You could plant the clones that are females and put them into the veg area and let them reveg and grow for another harvest.

Good luck! :peace:

I'll try to help you out. Hopefully I understand. You are saying that you grew 6 plants from seed and cut all or one (?) of the tops off to try to clone these top(s). Before you cloned these top(s), you did not know the sex of the original 6?

1. I have never heard or attemted cloning a top. I do not believe it's going to work. I guess it depends on how old the original seed plant is. I usually top my plants when the fourth set of leaves appear after germination. The top is just sun leaves. I would use side branching much later from a bushy plant as my cloning selection.

2. Kind of tying these together. I would have cut back the lights on the seed stock plants to 12/12. After determining their sex and getting rid of the males, I would then take cuttings from the females only. I would also put the females back to veg state/or keep them flowering. I have only cloned a male plant one time. A friend want the genetics.

Hopefully this helps and good luck.

I have found that when you clone the tops they root faster and stronger. I have 100% success when cloning the tops. its hard for me to get the smaller ones to root... they just dont have enough in em... although if you have a mystic cloner or something like that, you'll be fine with small clones... the larger the better really...

also... dont re- veg unless you have to for some reason...

I would never put a plant back to veg once it starts to flower ,I have tried this but it seems to screw the genetics up. As for cloning from the top ,well if its a plant I want to keep for a mother and not flower I will do it but for a plant I want to flower I don't do it but I like to basicly just grow the main cola...

Revegging is great. I gor 4 crops out of a bubbler tub and ony stopped cause thrips wiped me out. Every time they flowered the buds were just as big and tasty. After a month under low 24hr light they start putting out single bladed leaves then three blades etc until they look normal. I chopped out most of the roots after each harvest and new ones grow back fine. Saves a lot of work too and that's a big plus for me. I plan to regen one of my tubs so I can clone a couple of top performers.

L8r all. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom