Closet without outlets?

The Weed

Hello,So if you had a closet with no outlets but has a overhead light w/ 2 100 watt bulbs. Now the safed way to make that light a outlet would be? I thinkin' about just cutting the plug from a power surge outlet strip and wire it in using wire nuts and elec. tape.Since there 2 light bulds in there in can't just unwire one Buld for the outlet? Thanks for your time!:peace: :thanks:

Re: Closet without outlets.?

The safest way is they make a outlet plug that screws into the bulb socket, like a lightbulb, effectively turning it into an outlet, while still giving you use of the other light. You can get them from any hardware or home depot, for pretty cheap. Probably less than $10..

the only draw back is anperage draw, grow rooms should be on a 20 amp dedicated circuit, so everything has enough power to use, without over heating things and causing a fire hazard..more than likely your closet lights are on the same circuit as the room, that contains the closet is, so assuming you are talking about your bedroom, everything in your bedroom is on the same circuit as that light, so be careful, how much you put on this one circuit.
I'd put a circuit breaking power strip, designed to "trip" if amp draw exceeds, 20 amps, so your house breaker box, has some extra insurance...

if your unsure about amperage draw, look on the back of anything electrical you're going to add, and add up the amp numbers, most household breakers are 20 amp breakers, if the number adds up to 20 or more, the breaker will trip, and nothing will work..you must include everything plugged into that circuit, even the stuff, outside of the closet itself, to establish what is on the circuit, turn everything in the area on, radios, lights, computers (just your power strip, shut down the computer properly) find the breaker that shuts off the closet and walk around, checking everything that turned off with the breaker. Now take a peice of paper, and write down amp draw, from everything and add.

an option if your numbers are just under 20 amps but close, is to set your timers, so your closet setup doesn't turn on until late at night, when you've already shut down most of your lights and other things, while the amp draw is low.. Just make sure you have a smoke detector near in case of an unforeseen emergency.

other than that call an electrician, and tell them you need a dedicated circuit for a electronic safe to be put in the closet, they wont question it, and it'll be installed correctly with no doubts as to its amperage.

Great info Tronix :thanks: I have 15 amp fuse for that room w/ a tv and cable box the only other usage,think i can handle 110 watts of flo and a 600 watt hps you? Your right that screw in outlet would be easier then cutting any wires !!! :thanks: :cheer:

Your 600hps will draw almost 6 amps. I definately would advise you to use a hard-wired outlet in place of the light socket if you are gonna run the hps from it...

get an electrician, I can tell you've had no experience and running a dedicated is better left to a qualified tech...like I said, if he asks what the outlet is for, tell him a closet safe, and it'll probably cost you in the neighborhood of $150 maybe less to have it done...unless your panel happens to be close, and you have a very neighborly electrician you may get a deal..alot of sparky's burn, as myself and Hogdady is proof of..lol, so if he suspects this is what you are doing, he may hook you up. :)

Thank guys ! please no fires! I will be moving down to 400 watt. It Just a small bed room...Plus this huge closet but no outet in this closet.Screw in outlet is what i will do. Thanks 4 your time! :peace: :goodjob:

That's not good Hogdady, no ground I may have to rethink this. I like to just connect a extention cord to overhead light . You know maybe hard wire it to one of light sockets? Ugly... but will work. you have a ground that way too. (wire nuts,elec. tape) Thanks everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom