What type of outlet is this

GuerillaGRO

420 Member
Oops The tile was supposed to be "what type of outlet is this?" Hopefully i still can get some help
Does anyone know what typle of outlet this is i found it in my attic. I was hoping it is a 240 out let. It looks like my thousand watt HPS would plug into it but it does match exactly. I am going to try to find out more before i would try to plug it in i was thinking maybe someone had it wired that was growing there. The rest of my room is 120 but this ballast i picked up used is 240 i think. Im pretty sure that i could just put a 120 cord on the ballast and switch the black wire but it would be nice if i could just use this outlet. the cord on my sunlight supply ballast looks like this -.- and looks like it would go right in. also is there any insite on rewiring this ballast for 120 i read MMs post "how can i wire my own HPS" but my ballast isnt wire exactly the same.
outlet.jpg

Re: what typle

The way to understand convenience outlets is to consider the NEMA classification. This is described as a 2-pole 3-wire grounding outlet. Here's (one manufacturer) Leviton's version of that configuration:

Features:

• 30Amp
  • 125V
  • NEMA 5-30R
  • 2P, 3W
  • Straight blade
  • Industrial grade
  • Self grounding
  • Side wired
  • Steel strap
Unless your plug is configured exactly like that, it's probably not safe to use. The good news is you may be able to swap out the outlet to one that matches your plug and use the existing wires and circuit breaker.

The important things are the circuit breaker is sized for the use, the wires are sized for the potential load, and the outlet and plug are compatible.

But yeah...looks like either the previous occupant had a little grow op going on, or maybe there was some sort of electric furnace up there.

Thanks for the quick responce FN. You are probably right, probably was a heater...or Air Conditioner cuz the heating and cooling duct that runs up there gets very little flow. I love the idea of switching the outlet! How would i test to make sure that it is actually hooked up and figure out how much power would be running through it. I have a AC/DC OHM meter but it has a dial with a bunch of settings and im not sure how to use it. Im good with car audio but i havent messed much with house wiring.

There's a little green paperback book that Home Depot sells in the electrical department about wiring and electricity. You need that, at least, before you try to do this stuff on your own. I'm not a professional, but after reading and re-reading sections of that book I've been able to add panels, circuits, and outlets without problems.

You need to look at the circuit breaker for that outlet in the electrical panel. It may not even be hooked up. The breaker will be 2 wide (2-pole), and may be 30 amp. If it's hooked up and wired to the outlet, it will be flowing 240 volts.

For testing...I haven't done it in awhile. Either the multimeter has instructions or you can search on the internet for the brand and model and hopefully find them. I did a quick Google search for "testing 240 volt outlet with multimeter" and found a good WikiHow article right at the top.

The book is called "Wiring Simplified".

There's a little green paperback book that Home Depot sells in the electrical department about wiring and electricity. You need that, at least, before you try to do this stuff on your own. I'm not a professional, but after reading and re-reading sections of that book I've been able to add panels, circuits, and outlets without problems.

You need to look at the circuit breaker for that outlet in the electrical panel. It may not even be hooked up. The breaker will be 2 wide (2-pole), and may be 30 amp. If it's hooked up and wired to the outlet, it will be flowing 240 volts.

For testing...I haven't done it in awhile. Either the multimeter has instructions or you can search on the internet for the brand and model and hopefully find them. I did a quick Google search for "testing 240 volt outlet with multimeter" and found a good WikiHow article right at the top.
that's 220 unless in Europe, I never used 220 on any electrical appliance unless it's needed , no grow light would use 220 but it goes into another socket to take 220 like mine , but mines on 110, this is us' electric standards

handy little graphic

full

have a similar chart in the shop. confirms the plug in question is rated for 30A and 125V

Here comes @Bill284

NTH

considered dropping that graphic in his fire safety thread. i've had to build power distros before and have used many of those plugs. i've also built adapters from different plugs for welders, air compressors etc.

Oh yea that’s a great graphic. But I was giving you grief before Bill comes in here to tell you that’s a thread from 2009.

All in good humor Bluter. Peace.

NTH

i didn't have the heart to drop sshortguy in it as he brought it back with wrong info. i dropped the graphic so anyone else drifting across the thread would have a useful reference

no if you worked on stoves and dryers you would see those receptacles on there, it's right there , i seen them enough times to know the difference between 110 & 220, we're in the us , those that are on there are 220 volts receptacles, you're going to tell me they're 110 ? ,lol

i didn't have the heart to drop sshortguy in it as he brought it back with wrong info. i dropped the graphic so anyone else drifting across the thread would have a useful reference
You are a gentleman and a scholar. And that diagram seriously is screenshot material for me. Many thanks.

NTH
You are both Gentlemen @Nine Toed Hippie and @bluter also aren't we all scholars :rofl:
That's a handy chart bluter when you get a minute can you drop it in the fire safety thread. :thanks:
Edit: BTW @Nine Toed Hippie I was two threads down the rd still giggling.
I had to come back and tell you.
That was a good one :laugh:

Stay safe
Bill

no if you worked on stoves and dryers you would see those receptacles on there, it's right there , i seen them enough times to know the difference between 110 & 220, we're in the us , those that are on there are 220 volts receptacles, you're going to tell me they're 110 ? ,lol
I was wrong on that , , a friend seen it & said that receptacle must be an old house I'm 50 yrs old & never seen a receptacle like that in my life, it looked like a 220 to me, this is on modern receptacles, my appoligies

no worries at all.
i'm not telling you anything. i've seen those plugs adapted for all sorts and i'm guilty myself. you also have to confirm the number of wires, gauge, and the size of the breaker to be certain.

no one wanted to run you over.

Go to the hardware store, get a voltage tester, (they're cheap) and test it. If a prior occupant was monkeying with the plugs/wiring, you have no idea what they did. Could of used the wrong plug. When I worked for a college we had a contractor put in a row of street lights, he tapped in from a nearby buried power line. Lights worked great for a week then started failing. I opened one up and found the ballast (220V) was a burnt and oily mess. I tested the power feed, they had hooked up to a 440V power line! Test, test, test!

Back
Top Bottom