Cloudy res water and algae...help

jonnygreens

I've been searching around and haven't found anything that fits my situation so I will explain...

I have a DIY Ebb and Flow system 2'x4' with an 18 gal tote as a res with 14 gals of 5.8 pH tap water and I was using the Botanicare Power series but recently switched to Advanced Nutrients Grow Micro Bloom that I have yet to start using. I have pots filled with Hydroton that sit in the tray. Everything was running fine for the first day or two then I got a spike in pH which I promptly corrected then the following day the water was cloudy and the pH shot back up to 8.4
I did some reading and figured it was light getting in so I fastened black plastic on the outside of the res and on the lid, around the tubes where they ran through two holes.
Emptied the res, washed it out, refilled with pH'd water, nutes and started it up again. The next day the pH was at 5.9, the following day, high pH again and also what looked like to be algae blooms floating in the water and on the water line and also all over the airstone. So what I can only deduce is that the light shining on the water INSIDE the flood table is what is causing it. It takes about 8 mins to flood the table and I do an additional 8 mins circulation then drain, so I'd say the water is in contact with the light around 20 mins. I also flood 4 times a day. I'm planning on putting a lid to cover the tray and have the pots filled with hydroton through the lid. And yes, I washed my Hydroton ridiculously well. My question for you guys is whether you think I am correct in assuming that the light contact with the water during the flood is what my weak link is?
Also I have been using distilled white vinegar to lower my pH which I have also stopped using and switched to AN pH Down.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated seeing that doing a 14 gal res change twice a week is quickly becoming a pain. Thanks in advance guys!

Mystery to me but I don't think algae can form in that period of time. Do you use any organic additives? Only way you get true algae is a constant source of light on nuted water. Clean hydrotron and clean lines should lead to a clean tank for the most part. Were your air stones new? Did you reuse anything that may have had some organic material left in it. Maybe and old pump? I'll try to help of go get more help if we can't figure it out.

Hey Jonny,

Its memorial day everyone is out enjoying the fruits of thier labor and honoring the dead. As for yoru situation it sounds like you either have a ligth leak in which you mentioned you contained that or it could be the temp of your water. Any temp over 72 is asking for trouble and thats when algae thrives, so check that. If that is not the case then I can only think of dirty rez/flood table/media. Might have to take out parts and start washing them real good with bleach and such then rinse em out real good then replace. Maybe you will get lucky.

But dont think I am an expert on flood and drain...Im a bubbler man!

Good luck!:peace:

CGs

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't rinse my airstone and pump *smh* everything seems stable and fine right now, i'm almost on the two day mark which on day 3 I started seein it. As of yesterday I doubled up the res tote and still have the lid covered with black plastic... Also pH has stabled at 5.8
I appreciate the feed back and will keep you posted, good or bad
Also one more thing, once roots start growing out the bottom of my pots I should protect them from light correct?

Ok here's the update, Its been over ten days now and I'm algae free!! I did the same double tote res in my flower tent as well and everything is great... thanks for the feedback guys

Back
Top Bottom