CO2 collecting

BrokrnEyes

Is it possible to safely collect the co2 from a yeast sugar water method during the night hours? I was thinking of a 5 gallon jug with a balloon attached to the top would be the best DIY container for the job, but obviously I'm somewhat concerned so I would like to hear from others what they think. Would a yeast sugar water method generate enough PS I to be dangerous in the first place let alone in a space of 12 hours at best??

FYI I have about 6 cups of sugar sitting in 3 gallons with 1 tablespoon of yeast in a 5 gallon jug being oxygenated buy an air stone and warmed with a aquarium heater. So far my sensor has said that I can generate at least 1800 people in a 98 ft.² closet.

The process of fermentation should be an anaerobic process meaning no oxygen. Oxygen stalls the process of fermentation which is where you get your co2. Your best bet is to go online and get a double bubble air lock for a few bucks and figure out a way to seal that to your jug. The air lock works like the p trap on your sink. It let's the co2 pressure out without letting oxygen back in.

There's no danger in CO2 generation from ferments short of pressure. You have a higher chance of putting your eye out. :laughtwo:

But, why ferment useless crud when you could be fermenting your own fertilizers/supplements? Food or beverages?

I'm not a fan of buckets, bubblers and heaters. Typically stinky. Too much work lol. Wide mouth quart or half gallon canning jars with Pickle Pipe lids are much easier to manage even if the batches are smaller.

Here's my bloom sup ferments in process :)

Bloom_Ferments1.jpg

:Namaste:

It's funny that you would mention beverages, I'm actually planning on eventually trying to brew my own Sake (rice wine) but right using sugar water is more of a proof of concept approach until I can get the materials together to properly do this. From what I've read the biggest thing I'm going to need to get a hold of is a glass carboy, looks like a lot of people just don't approve of the plastic ones both for quality and taste of the final product and I want to do it right.

But back to my question, with a PS IP something I should be concerned about if I'm trying to store co2 in the above described method?

It's funny that you would mention beverages, I'm actually planning on eventually trying to brew my own Sake (rice wine) but right using sugar water is more of a proof of concept approach until I can get the materials together to properly do this. From what I've read the biggest thing I'm going to need to get a hold of is a glass carboy, looks like a lot of people just don't approve of the plastic ones both for quality and taste of the final product and I want to do it right.

But back to my question, with a PS IP something I should be concerned about if I'm trying to store co2 in the above described method?
Try williamsbrewing.com for the fermenting products. You'd be surprised how much the different varieties of yeast affect the flavor as well and they sell all of that all the way from the yeast to the car boys and the airlocks

Back
Top Bottom