More effective CO2 producer

thinkerr

ive been looking at some crude co2 devices using .5 liter water bottles on these forums. here is a cheap and more effective way.

1 gallon carboy 4.25
#6 rubber stopper 0.60
1 air lock s-bubble type 1.00

1-gallon-glass-jug.jpg
airlock-s-bubble-type.jpg

this will cancel the need for multiple bottles and rubber hosing. the water in the s-bubble prevents the yeast and bacteria in the water to escape into the atmosphere which can endanger your crops.

people have also been complaining about the cost of yeast. i have a walmart type grocery store called sams club some people have costco (cosco?) and i bought 1 pound of yeast for 7 dollars. i just refridgerate it after opening in a ziploc.

i feel this method is just as productive as a CO2 tank at a fraction of the pain.

correction it was two packages each weighing a pound for 7 dollars (for both).

another reason this is more efficient than a plastic water bottle is the volume involved.

sugar can dissolve in water at a 1:1 ratio --- 1 cup sugar dissovles in 1 cup water.

so what you do is put a gallon of water in the carboy with 2 cups of sugar and 2 teaspoons of yeast.

sugar is the limiting reagent --- meaning the yeast will continue to reproduce and create co2 as long as there is a sugar source. so every two weeks or so you add another two cups of sugar and let the fermentation continue. you shouldnt have to add more yeast until you supersaturate the water with sugar and have to empty and start over.

I brew mead at home from time to time, now for those of you in the growing and brewing business at the same time, an interesting thing to note is that fermentation releases CO2, so might as well put those jugs with sweet honey nectar/beer in the grow room :)

A friend of mine is already doing this and he is noticing a substantial increase in yield.

Add a large fishtank to supply your plants with nutrient rich water, all organic to boot too, and you have the groundwork for a fully green eco-friendly grow-op :D

I'm looking into getting a mini brew going for mead I've been looking for recipes but i cant find any comments about how they turned out.

I'm going to mix 5 gallons mead mix in a 6 gallon bucket then put 1 gallon into each of 5 carboys. I'm using orange blossom honey. if you can give me some recipes for each carboy id appreciate it. thanks.

ive been looking at some crude co2 devices using .5 liter water bottles on these forums. here is a cheap and more effective way.

1 gallon carboy 4.25
#6 rubber stopper 0.60
1 air lock s-bubble type 1.00

1-gallon-glass-jug.jpg
airlock-s-bubble-type.jpg

this will cancel the need for multiple bottles and rubber hosing. the water in the s-bubble prevents the yeast and bacteria in the water to escape into the atmosphere which can endanger your crops.

people have also been complaining about the cost of yeast. i have a walmart type grocery store called sams club some people have costco (cosco?) and i bought 1 pound of yeast for 7 dollars. i just refridgerate it after opening in a ziploc.

i feel this method is just as productive as a CO2 tank at a fraction of the pain.

A couple questions (embarrassingly new, please bear with me:) ): What is a carboy?
Where can you buy the rubber stopper, I'm assuming h depot, and where can you buy the s tube?

My box will be 3'wide x 2' deep x 3' tall -- do you think that C02 is important to my yield in such a small space?

:thanks:

the smaller the space the more efficient this system will be.

a carboy is a glass jug used to ferment in beer, wine, and mead making.
1-gallon-glass-jug.jpg

if you search google for wine making equipment you will find all this or if you have a hobby store in your town/city sometimes they carry them.

Sweet, thanks! Would I be able to use a smaller carboy for my smaller space? How often do you need to change the sugar/yeast mix?

Thanks for the reply!

GF

they have half gallon carboys that might be better for your space.

get the s-shaped air lock. you fill it with water so it goes about 1/3 up both sides of the bulbous parts of the air lock.

the water will bubble within a couple hours of putting the yeast/sugar together. this bubbling is the co2 escaping from the bottle. when that bubbling stops or slows down (about a 3 weeks-month) add more sugar and the bubbling should continue.

Perfect! Thanks again for the info.

The rubber stopper goes on top of the carboy and the s tube feeds down into it? The co2 is released naturally into the area as it happens with the little red cap off the s tube?

Sorry if I seem dense! :) Just a little birth defect I've got!

Here is a link to the air lock s double bubble tube for those who might be interested. Comes with the stopper. ;-)

https://compare.ebay.com/like/26068...c617620&itemid=260685360940&ff4=263602_304662

exactly right. you're not dense i wouldn't expect anyone who has no experience in fermenting anything to know what these things are. i didn't before i started researching it.

exactly right. you're not dense i wouldn't expect anyone who has no experience in fermenting anything to know what these things are. i didn't before i started researching it.

Thanks for taking the time to respond..I really appreciate it. I don't see the sense really in spending a great deal of money on a co2 system. This is "organic" and should do just fine for my grow space...

If I'm going to spend money, and it's look like I'll be spending more than I had originally thought, it's going into lighting and box construction.

Everything else seems really reasonable price wise...

I'm going to mix 5 gallons mead mix in a 6 gallon bucket then put 1 gallon into each of 5 carboys. I'm using orange blossom honey. if you can give me some recipes for each carboy id appreciate it. thanks.

Thats great man! Well I'm the type that don't follow recipes much, I just stick with the basic needed to get a good fermentation going and as far as flavor is concerned I go by taste.

Right now I'm waiting on a batch that I made with some dried orange peels, a few sticks of cinammon and a couple of handfulls of sultanas and dried raisins :) I'm aiming for the old spicy, woody old taste ^^ I tried this combination before and it worked for me even with bottom of the shelf commercial honey...

Just go with what feels right :)

where is the best location for the bottle? CO2 is heavier than air so do you put the bottle above the plants with the hose dangling down? or do you put the bottles below the plants and have the hoses going up to the plants?

awesome bassplayer looks like you can save even more money buy skimping on the carboy and using a large Hi-C container or big apple juice bottle. sweet diy. looks like the plant enjoyed it too.

Hey giantsfan...its just a 6mm airline with a sprinkler atactment from my cloner on the end. It hangs inside the canopy but I try not to let it touch on the leaves or buds.
Im sure theres some pics in my gallery or journal somewhere showing the output end.
:peacetwo:bp
Medijuana - DIY Cabinet, Perpetual Grow, Airpots, Soil w/LST

So the co2 just oozes out or does it actually spray?? LOL this has to be the dumbest question ever!

Sorry!

:bong:

Also the co2 is just for the flowering stage? How long does each jug of sugar, water & yeast last?

Back
Top Bottom