Cob LED

Lots of heat without the PAR to go with it. Looked promising at first but real world tests haven't shown anything to get super excited about. Still better off going with a high PAR emitting, complete spectrum 3w based light..

:ganjamon:

Lots of heat without the PAR to go with it. Looked promising at first but real world tests haven't shown anything to get super excited about. Still better off going with a high PAR emitting, complete spectrum 3w based light..

:ganjamon:

Thats an interesting point of view Platinum.

I have also been investigating the prospect of growing with a COB LED, and my research comes up with a different view. The COB LEDs that I've contemplated buying have equivalent and often greater PAR Values compared to identical Wattage LEDs.

The operating temperatures advertised by manufacturers of COB LEDs have been consistently lower than equivalent LEDs. So when you refer to "lots of heat", can you be a little more explicit? "Lots of heat" compared to standard LEDs?? Can you elaborate...?

And will you post a link to any of the the "real world tests" you refer to, because I'm eager to peruse any evidence that confirms OR refutes popular opinion.

I priced 100w full spectrum Cobs yesterday , I can pick one up for $25.
The fan/heatsink designed for the 100 , 150 and 200w Cobs cost $20 and a power supply is $15

I have Some panels but I am thinking about making a 6 inch x 4ft Cob fixture to use against the back wall of my grow cabinet.

If the cobs are inefficient or otherwise not up to the task they sell 60w 20x 3w cree multi chips $25

These would be useful for custom applications , such as a long narrow fixture that I want.

Cree_60w_grow_light_multichip.JPG

I priced 100w full spectrum Cobs yesterday , I can pick one up for $25.
The fan/heatsink designed for the 100 , 150 and 200w Cobs cost $20 and a power supply is $15

I have Some panels but I am thinking about making a 6 inch x 4ft Cob fixture to use against the back wall of my grow cabinet.

If the cobs are inefficient or otherwise not up to the task they sell 60w 20x 3w cree multi chips $25

These would be useful for custom applications , such as a long narrow fixture that I want.

Cree_60w_grow_light_multichip.JPG

Please do share your build if you make this happen. Then please share the grow. Then, please share the bud!

Update after more searching I found a 100w 30 LED Red / Blue Cree XPE Multichip for $40

I am going to use a 200w heatsink/fan for its cooler and a adjustable power supply to control/power it.

The 100w multi chip probably runs on more like 60 to 70w with 100w being its max theoretical power.

I am making a single chip light for starters, I ordered the parts now its just a wait for the slow boat from china.

I expect it to take around 30 days & will start the thread when its together.

cost $77 can. The adjustable Step up driver is rated for 600 watts max , leaving room for expansion.
If I use it with 4 multi chips the draw will be 280w @ 70w each.

I will add a link back here.

Sharing is caring !

Was excited to read this until I saw this thread is over 10 months old. :laughtwo:
I would love to build my own cobb style led but the learning curve exceeded timeline for meds.
@Taihara, Hope you had a chance to use your light to get buds and haven't suffered as case of analysis paralysis.
After all, aren't potent buds your objective?
Would love to see your progress.:smokin:

The thread was resurrected for more duty ! whip whip

I am curious how the SMD Cob compare to the cree multi chip so after I build my first Cree multichip I will buy a 100w SMD full spectrum grow light / heatsink and compare the 2 designs.

My prediction is that they both will grow well but the SMD will penetrate about 1/2 as deep. I have a good light meter not designed for LED's but it will still be possible to compare the intensity.

The 100w SMD grow light costs around 1/2 as much as the cree multichip.

Back
Top Bottom