Coco mania

Just a quick open question to anyone reading........can I run 4 x 600w HPS lights from a single socket if I use a 2500 watt contactor with built in timer? I was planning on wiring a plug and lead into the input side of the contactor/timer and wiring a 4 gang extention into the output side? I'm NO sparky so ALL advice is welcome.

hey Im a qualified electrician by trade and I too, use and have built my own contactor board. your problem wont be with the contactor a you can get contactors up to X amount of amps. but your problem will be with the breaker your socket goes too. lets say you have all x4 600s or even x3 600s switch on at the same time each one (unless digital) will fire 6-7amps at the same time for about 3 minutes or how ever long the lamp takes to be fully powered. so at one time you will have 21 or 24 amps being used in one hit. plus any other electrical equipment for the grow, fans etc usually add up to another 5-7 amps and lets not forget any equipment around the house that shares that breaker. the majority of house hold breakers are 16 amp. the shower about 32 and the cooker ( if electric ) is 64 amp. then there is also the gauge of the wiring your using. a standard twin and earth wire will heat up and eventually burn out using that amount of current. my set up is like this. 80amp Breaker --- 10mm twin and earth (fully insulated) --- 50amp contactor with x10 HID Dedicated sockets running through a grasslin timer then x2 full time sockets for other equipment that doesn't require the timer, I have also ran wiring from the living room breaker to an extension lead for the low powered pumps, that have been wired in parallel so on require one plug :) if your planning on using 3 or 4 600s check the breaker running that part of the house as if its 64 amp the wiring will have been sufficient to handle those loads and you will be fine. if not id look into installing an extra breaker and wiring the grow your self.. il post some pics of my set up.

P.S Contactors are there to switch the timer so you don't blow it that's all, if the current is higher than the rating of the breaker the switch will flip. if the current is higher than the contactor it will flip its switch..

cont_2.jpg

cont.jpg

Hey Zoot. That looks great mate :). Being colour blind (lol) spark were NEVER going to be my strong point :) But I'm a good chipy. I think I'll take Fattys advice and buy a black box capable of the job. I've got 3 x 600 watts at mo but plan on getting another hence the "4" question.

Rhetorical question guys (and girls :) ) but........are you growing "percy" or earning? Me? Well.....I plan to be self sufficient but want to cover the grow n research costs too :)

Zoot mate you'll be popular all grow sights like sparkys I'm not saying there's out wrong with making your own yours looks sound but lime you said your an electrician good job pal

Yeah I imagine I could be haha. and yeah nothing wrong with the shop bought contactors except the high prices, only problem being is that contactors in general don't regulate the amount of amps your using between the power of the lights and equipment, that falls down to the breaker on your fuse board and if the amps out way the breakers capacity it doesn't matter what contacting equipment you own the switch will flip, obviously killing the power to the grow and will continue to do so until the amperage is lowered to that breaker.

Hey Zoot. That looks great mate :). Being colour blind (lol) spark were NEVER going to be my strong point :) But I'm a good chipy. I think I'll take Fattys advice and buy a black box capable of the job. I've got 3 x 600 watts at mo but plan on getting another hence the "4" question.

thing is mate ''the black box'' wont do you much good if the power your trying to use is too much for the breaker in the fuse board. ??

thing is mate ''the black box'' wont do you much good if the power your trying to use is too much for the breaker in the fuse board. ??
I've got 3 double sockets in the room so plan to use 1 socket per light :) My mates tend to go the same way with a max of 2 600w per socket (that said, they grow in houses they rent out lol). Ultimately, my plan is to do 2 grows at home then I'm going to "rent" premises for business AND pleasure lol

I've got 3 double sockets in the room so plan to use 1 socket per light :) My mates tend to go the same way with a max of 2 600w per socket (that said, they grow in houses they rent out lol). Ultimately, my plan is to do 2 grows at home then I'm going to "rent" premises for business AND pleasure lol

simple test.. go to the fuse board look at which breaker runs that room and let me know what amp it is I will tell you if you will be ok!! business n pleasure.. u opening a brothel mate haha

and I get what u mean, I don't live in the place I grow in. used too but thought ahh il move in with the misses and expand the potential, this was near on 7 years ago lol had 2 kids since then. now the place is used for growing and storage, I had the whole place set up for growing about 2 years ago. 20 NFT- GT404s and growing 6 plants per tray :) but decided to tone it down quite a lot and went small scale. I grow now more for the hobby of it than the profit or personal amount..

LMAO.......I'm dyslexic too so I bought a warehouse lol. Well, I guess, ultimately, as I live in my girlfriends house (long story lol) I can't take the pee too much (loads of irony because she's a drug rehab nurse :) ). So, industrial premises are needed where I can be a Chipy and Engineer by day :)
I'll check the fuse board tomorrow buddy and let you know. Really appreciate the heads up :)

Looks great Fatty. I love the way LST works. It really removes the one worry I had.......light height :). Do you get a better yield doing t? When pruning, do you clip off top and bottom leaves or just bottoms? Keep it up dude :) :goodjob:

Looks great Fatty. I love the way LST works. It really removes the one worry I had.......light height :). Do you get a better yield doing t? When pruning, do you clip off top and bottom leaves or just bottoms? Keep it up dude :) :goodjob:

Cheers dude as far as pruning I chop anything that blocks a node I don't normally but this is just the beggining of the biggest plant I've grown so it will have plenty of veg time to recover in my journal you will see what I normally do its the same thing but I don't get them quite as tight because I like to grow more strains at a time so I can't veg aslong if you want to see some good lst have a look at light addict he's aaster and his techniques are top class when this baby is finished she will be under 2 600 watt hps hopefully filling my tent (2.4mx1.2m) which I normally get around 50 oz it's kind of my plant of theonth project for next march maybe there is no rush as my journal grow will last till then anyway yes it does improve yeild because the plant has auxins these tell it the highest point and focuses its energy there so a level canopy the energy is focused all

Thanks buddy. I'll take a look at Light Addicts journals:) Can't wait to see how yours progresses too :)

simple test.. go to the fuse board look at which breaker runs that room and let me know what amp it is I will tell you if you will be ok!! business n pleasure.. u opening a brothel mate haha

and I get what u mean, I don't live in the place I grow in. used too but thought ahh il move in with the misses and expand the potential, this was near on 7 years ago lol had 2 kids since then. now the place is used for growing and storage, I had the whole place set up for growing about 2 years ago. 20 NFT- GT404s and growing 6 plants per tray :) but decided to tone it down quite a lot and went small scale. I grow now more for the hobby of it than the profit or personal amount..

Hey Zoot.
Just checked the fuses and I'm no wiser. A quick heads up......the house is a MASSIVE 3 story Victorian. The whole house was rewired last year so it's up to standard. Each floor has it's own dedicated trip. The one for floor I intend to use has a 63a trip and the "fuse?" (trip) for the sockets has B32 stamped on a blue trip switch. Told you, I'm NOT technical AT ALL when it comes to sparks lol. Hope this info clarifies it a little though
:)

Hey Zoot.
Just checked the fuses and I'm no wiser. A quick heads up......the house is a MASSIVE 3 story Victorian. The whole house was rewired last year so it's up to standard. Each floor has it's own dedicated trip. The one for floor I intend to use has a 63a trip and the "fuse?" (trip) for the sockets has B32 stamped on a blue trip switch. Told you, I'm NOT technical AT ALL when it comes to sparks lol. Hope this info clarifies it a little though
:)

yeah so the sockets on that floor are wired to a 32amp fuse. so providing you don't have any heavy load appliances on the floor like, tumble dryers, kettle, microwaves etc you will be fine to just go ahead and get the plug in contactors :) safety first my friend... after the initial lamp warm up x3 600w ballasts will only be using about 15amps or 20a if using 4.. so yeah your fine. only reason I asked is some places iv wired up had been using 16amp breakers and kept flipping out but your 32 will be fine :)

Hi guys. Just been chatting to my son about nutes and what's best to use. Got some conflicting opinions. I'm defo going to use canna coco with around 30% perlite mixed in as the media. Also going with clay pebbles on the bottom 2-3" of the 5 gallon pots........so, what do you guys recommend? I've checked historical ph values of the water up here and over the last 5 years it varies between 6.8 to 9.7. Love to hear from you :)

yeah so the sockets on that floor are wired to a 32amp fuse. so providing you don't have any heavy load appliances on the floor like, tumble dryers, kettle, microwaves etc you will be fine to just go ahead and get the plug in contactors :) safety first my friend... after the initial lamp warm up x3 600w ballasts will only be using about 15amps or 20a if using 4.. so yeah your fine. only reason I asked is some places iv wired up had been using 16amp breakers and kept flipping out but your 32 will be fine :)

Zoot you're god dude :) My son has a mate who "isolates" rooms for £200 :) If I get it done I'll never pay electric again for that room :) :). Stops inquisitive Electric companies questioning the increased useage too :)

Back
Top Bottom