Coco vs perlite?

JKB1989

So I added 30% perlite to happy frog from ff on my current grow and about two inches at the bottom of two of my four containers. In tose two containers im showing some some early yellowing on my fan leaves with about 4 weeks left in the grow. I have since read on hear that I needed to rinse the perlite first or it could cause root rot. I didnt rinse it first. Anyhow I talked with a guy at my local grow shop and he said he would use coco instead of perlite as it helps drainage like perlite without it blocking the roots like perlite does. 2 questions. Is coco better to add to my soil tha perlite? Could my yellowing and dying fan leaves be caused by unrinsed perlite?

Answers are

No
and
No

Use grain of salt technology when assessing Hydro-buddie advice.

Problems with Coco are many in a SOIL grow, best to use per-lite. Its benign. Its glass rocks that are baked - it has no affect on soil other than aeration and places for beneficial bacteria to take up residence, both are favorable for soil tilth and plant growth.

I use Perlite for soil mix and in the btm of my containers as I btm water my plants.

Some plants will yellow in flower its sorta part of the whole.

Post some pics of your flowers.

Here's a plant that turns completely yellow before chop. I've ran it for several years. Plants turn colors specially mid to late flower. Could be senescence happening.

I would mix the perlite into the soil, and would never put it at the bottom of the container because that area will always remain wet because of the rock... and could easily be the cause of root rot, not help prevent it. I can't tell you how much I hate hearing this kind of advice coming from a hydro shop. If you want to run a perlite reservoir at the bottom, investigate the hempy method. A layer of rock of any kind in the bottom of a soil container, is just asking for trouble... despite what some may say.

Back
Top Bottom