Compost went anaerobic: question

epsteindrive

420 Member
I was making some compost and didn't pay attention to turning it. Went very anaerobic - bad smell. I see on many gardening forums the answer is to just turn it until the smell goes but is this good enough for my ladies. Do I have to wait a safe length of time so I know all the bad bacteria are gone; or is there some other solution ... or should I just toss it and start again, it's only a small bit but it takes a good while to make so I'd rather keep it.
Thanks

Was the pile covered or open and got rained on,
or was it in a closed bin with no holes for aeration??

If its in a bin with no aeration - turn it and try and find a way to dry it out.

Anaerobic conditions in soil is bad.

You can add it to peat moss and some aeration like perl-lite 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3 and mix in some amendments with rock dust - store in a dryer place and let it come back to aerobic conditions - it wont take long.

Kelp meal
Crustacean meal
Neem cake
Karanja cake

are what I add in as amendments then rock dust and calcium:

Oyster shell flour
Gypsum

Thats the basic mix I use. It works for me. Less is more but my compost is the most important input. I work much more on making compost that growing plants.

Putting your compost straight into a container with plant - wouldn't work well.

Oxygen will kill off the anaerobic microbes - its just too wet/compacted right now.

Whats inputs did you put in your pile??

The problem I really have is that I don't know if turning the compost would get rid of anything harmful to my plants that was created when it went anaerobic

Back
Top Bottom