Controlling heat in grow tent

SouthShore

Hi:
I have a 2 x 4 x 7 foot growtent, running a 600 watt HPS. Have a SunSystem sealed grow hood, hooked to a 6 inch hurricane exhaust fan. Temp in the room the tent is in, is 72 degrees. I have a thermometer hanging 16 inches directly below the the light. With the door to tent closed and all vents open temperature reads 90 degrees, with doors open and fan blowing into tent, and exhaust fan on full, temps drop to around 81. So with all that said. Is it ok to keep those doors open while in light cycle and close doors dureing dark time. Plants are doing well, into 2nd week of flower stage now

If that is what you have to do to make it work it will be fine. Make sure kids and pets are kept away...they break things. Before I would do that though I would experiment with closing some of the vents and creating a negative pressure to pull in that 72° room air and see if that worked better. Where do you have the exhaust vented? Outside? Attic? Room the tent is in?

Hi Rifleman
Thanks for replying, Tent is vented to the outside. And yes I definatly have neg pressure in tent with the door closed, and vents open temp still at 90, so ill just continue leaving door to tent open dureing light hours. LOL running an alarm on my phone to let me know when I have 10 minutes of light left, so I get those doors closed before dark hours, Thanks again.. this is my second grow, sure learning a lot and having a great time.

I don't think negative pressure will help, that's a ton of light (and consequently, heat) for that space. I suspect you will see that temps above your light are lower than below it at the canopy level. I had a friend who had a 4'x4' tent with a dimmable 1000 watt HID in it and with ambient temps around yours he was only able to run his lamp at 75% power regardless of how high he ran his 420 CFM fan.

Could you not have another fan taking air out of the tent aswell as the one cooling the light .
Or if you are running a digital ballast i would run a 400w bulb closer to the plants
Or maybe you could pull colder air in from outside , lights on at night .
Be safe .

Back
Top Bottom