Costco Security Light?

sjsays

Hi Im a noob grower but I went to costco today and i saw these 8.99 fluorescent flood light security fixtures and i was wondering if i could use them for my closet grow? I got some pics of the light here.

Photo_32.JPG

PHOTO_12.JPG

Photo_22.JPG

Yes you can. They are usually rated @ 6500K which is daylight color good for vegging only. You'll need to find CFLs in a lower K range (2700-3000K appx) for efficient flowering though.

Hey FatJose where could i find that hps for 125 bucks. That's not to bad on pricing. How many of these lights would i need for a 4'L x 2'w x 6'H grow area.

Those lights will work for a entire grow if they are all you have. I've used them and still do for a clone box. I've flowered with them though as well. Just because a certain bulb warmth is ideal for flowering doesn't mean it's the only one that will work. Plenty of growers use day light bulbs to flower with and end up with great resluts. I know a expert grower who swears that HPS bulbs are only good for door stops and that MH bulbs are the ideal bulbs to flower with. I've tried both. The HPS buds were bigger but fluffier as well. The MH buds were slightly smaller but dense as hell! The MH plants were shorter with tighter internodes as well. The HPS plants were stretched out to the max. Each bulb has their advantages but it's not "required" to change out to a flowering bulb or vegging bulb to grow great cannabis. Either one will work in reality.
Word of advice...pull off the clear lens. It traps and hold heat while reducing lumens to the plants.

Thanks man. So I can use these lights for my whole grow? Or do i needa replace them with some kind of other bulbs or something.

Thanks man. So I can use these lights for my whole grow? Or do i needa replace them with some kind of other bulbs or something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[quoted by Racefan]

Those lights will work for a entire grow if they are all you have. I've used them and still do for a clone box. I've flowered with them though as well. Just because a certain bulb warmth is ideal for flowering doesn't mean it's the only one that will work. Plenty of growers use day light bulbs to flower with and end up with great resluts. I know a expert grower who swears that HPS bulbs are only good for door stops and that MH bulbs are the ideal bulbs to flower with. I've tried both. The HPS buds were bigger but fluffier as well. The MH buds were slightly smaller but dense as hell! The MH plants were shorter with tighter internodes as well. The HPS plants were stretched out to the max. Each bulb has their advantages but it's not "required" to change out to a flowering bulb or vegging bulb to grow great cannabis. Either one will work in reality.
Word of advice...pull off the clear lens. It traps and hold heat while reducing lumens to the plants.

Just copied this from the post above yours....

In my security light that i have there can i just replace it with some mh bulbs. If i can do that where can i get bulbs like that and how do I know what to get.

Are there any good hps lights on ebay. I was looking through some of them but i don't know whether to trust them or not. Has ne one bought lights from their before?

ebay is a great place to get some cheap lights. bought a 150w hps from 2 years ago and am still using it. got for only 40 bucks to. the only thing is its a security light so had to wire it up myself, very simple and easy to do and cost a lot less than the 150w grow light.
good luck brotha

Back
Top Bottom