County Given Federal Clearance To Take Patients To Pot Dispensary

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Larimer County, Colorado officials have given the go-ahead for a disabled medical marijuana patient to resume catching a ride to get his medicine at a dispensary in a county-owned vehicle.

The Larimer Lift, a paratransit service for disabled people living outside city limits, will now take clients to medical marijuana dispensaries "and anywhere else they wish to go," according to Gary Darling, director of criminal justice services for the county, reports Kevin Dugan at the Fort Collins Coloradoan.

Larimer Lift officials had previously stopped taking Donnie Hayes, a blind medical marijuana patient, to a dispensary in Fort Collins, blaming their uncertainty over whether doing so could jeopardize federal funding for the program.

Hayes has a state-issued medical marijuana card, but possession of marijuana for any reason remains a federal crime.

After notifying the Federal Transit Authority (FTA) of the potential conflict between federal and state law, the program was given clearance to transport medical marijuana patients, according to Darling.

"We were told we need to follow what the contract says, which is to provide transportation services," he said.

The FTA's direction was that the Larimer Lift program should not "judge the destination" of a person who qualifies for a ride, according to Joe Ferrando, director of Community Corrections, which operates the paratransit service.

Hayes said he's glad the matter is cleared up. He used Larimer Lift last week to visit a dispensary and buy marijuana.

"They'll take me wherever I want to go, no questions asked," he said. "I'm happy with that."

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Toke of the Town - Cannabis news, rumor and humor
Author: Steve Elliott
Copyright: 2010 Village Voice Media Holdings, LLC
Website: Toke of the Town - County Given Federal Clearance To Take Patients To Pot Dispensary

I am seeing a SLOW bend of Federal "acceptance" I like.

Seems whatever every one is doing for the Cause, KEEP doing it!

Ahh, progress,

"Basking in the Sun" sure beats all that 70+ years of rain.

Back
Top Bottom