Daylight or sunlight?

Dolomite

420 Member
Hi all,

I'm growing outside in my garden and my plants are doing well so far. But one thing I am not sure about is whether "light" means direct sunlight or just daylight? I am getting about 7hrs of sunlight but around 14hrs daylight. Is it only direct sunlight that counts or both?

Cheers for any assistance!

It all counts.

Most plants grow best with 8 or more hours of direct sunlight per day. Direct sunlight means sunlight that hits the plant and is not shaded. I have the feeling that you are talking about getting 7 hours of direct sunlight and if so then I would think that you are good to go if you are growing a Marijuana plant.

Then there is shade, heavy shade, dappled sunlight and the sunlight right after dawn and just before sunset. Oh, and there is weak sunlight in 30-45 minutes before the sun rises and the 30-45 minutes after it sets.

Most plants will be OK with 6 hours of direct sunlight and will get by with even less though they will grow slower and not be as productive.

8 hours of direct sunlight on the first day of winter is not as strong as 8 hours on the first day of summer.

And, the number of hours of darkness is important for getting Marijuana to flower.

Thanks man. Well, I'm growing two autos and one photo. The photo has been vegging since April and is huge. It's in a 35L fabric pot. The two autos were planted late June and are doing well. They were all started in a tent but it was just getting too hot in there, and I figured what the hell am I stressing about heat in a tent when I could just use the bloody sun instead! My garden is private so no prying eyes, so I just moved the pots outside

The photo is getting on for over 4ft and the autos a good 3ft. I'm in the UK so from what I've read the photo won't be ready until around Oct...by which time it's gonna be huge. The autos will just so their thing, but I have noticed they are much slower to flower than when I grew then in a tent last time. I guess that's normal as I was using 24/0 indoors. That said, they're definitely much bigger than last time... and in this heat they are seriously thirsty girls

Well they're outside so it'll never be as dark as a tent... But I've read the moonlight is fine. Do you think London light pollution will be ok, or is it worth chucking her in a tent to flower?

Well they're outside so it'll never be as dark as a tent... But I've read the moonlight is fine. Do you think London light pollution will be ok, or is it worth chucking her in a tent to flower?
There are plenty of people growing in big cities so I doubt that the light pollution from London will be a problem.

One guy I know has a parking lot behind his house with those large overhead lights. He gets light from that on his garden and he still harvests several 5 gallon pails every fall. It is not bright light onto his garden like it would be if he had his plants in a parking spot but it is enough light to be noticeable when looking at his plants at night.

Hello mate,
moon light is a reflected light mate, street lights are a different beast, light pollution isn't a street light shining in your backyard keeping you in veg.

No direct sun is not daylight but you are getting enough direct sun at 7 hours.Daylight helps but will not get plants big.And when your photos begin to flower no light at all during the dark nights.:goodluck:
"No direct sun is not daylight..."??

I would have thought that it should read that direct sun is daylight but not all daylight is direct sun.

Thanks for all the help...

Do you think the fewer hours of light is what is making the autos take longer? I thought they were genetically programmed to flower after a certain time regardless...

Sure I'll add a pic. Do I just attach direct or is there some ninja shit I need to do to make sure the metadata is scrubbed?

Pics for your delectation...
20200812_055416.jpg
20200812_055331.jpg

Attachments

• 20200812_055331.jpg
    20200812_055331.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • 20200812_055416.jpg
    20200812_055416.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
Good question... So what happened was that I planted three plants back in April, that I thought were autos. Two were fine and I harvested in June, but one just stayed vegging... So I figured the seed wasn't an auto. So I decided to pot up to a 35L and just let it fly. The one of the left is a Dinafem Gorilla Glue XXL planted late June The one on the right was from some free member seeds from another site. It was a cream caramel cross.

Why do you ask? Do you think it's too far gone for this to be a photo with his level of light still on the UK? At first I thought it was male but I got no seeds so... I'm kinda just leaving it to see what the hell happens

Good question... So what happened was that I planted three plants back in April, that I thought were autos. Two were fine and I harvested in June, but one just stayed vegging... So I figured the seed wasn't an auto. So I decided to pot up to a 35L and just let it fly. The one of the left is a Dinafem Gorilla Glue XXL planted late June The one on the right was from some free member seeds from another site. It was a cream caramel cross.

Why do you ask? Do you think it's too far gone for this to be a photo with his level of light still on the UK? At first I thought it was male but I got no seeds so... I'm kinda just leaving it to see what the hell happens
Oh, they just look pretty far along in flower for photos — that’s good, I prefer an early flower.

I guess you guys already have pretty short days up there too, huh?

Oh, they just look pretty far along in flower for photos — that’s good, I prefer an early flower.

I guess you guys already have pretty short days up there too, huh?

Not really dude...

This is kinda why I was originally asking... I'm actually getting 14hrs daylight, not 12...

Back
Top Bottom