Defoliate?

randall1966

These White Widow fem are 64 days from seed, I've used topping and lst on these and have been able to keep them short and bushy, getting ready to apply scrog and flip to flower, thinking of doing some defoliation ,I did about 30% on two of them yesterday to see how they react and there right back to being perky, just curious how defoliation had worked for you all, thx.

Just my opinion here. I would say open it up a little. Not only does it open up the plant a little to let more light through. It opens it up for better air flow. In most case's all growth will go to the branches that are left increasing their size. Basically less branches bigger buds. It also helps a lot come time to manicure. As long as it is done before flower the plant should adjust if given a week or so before dropping lights back.

Just my opinion here. I would say open it up a little. Not only does it open up the plant a little to let more light through. It opens it up for better air flow. In most case's all growth will go to the branches that are left increasing their size. Basically less branches bigger buds. It also helps a lot come time to manicure. As long as it is done before flower the plant should adjust if given a week or so before dropping lights back.
Thank for your thoughts on this, I think I got them where they need to be, good light Penetration and air flow, I know in the last 36 hrs they've jumped up and taken off, getting scrog up tomorrow night. Thx again.

Book is still open for me on this subject. When you think about the leafs being solar panels to process the food for growth, or being a food storage unit, Youd think why would you just cut off the food supply, or the energy generators used for growth?

Odd.

To get tighter nodes, Clip off the top 2 leafs. Why? It slows the growth at the top, and helps growth below. If you clip the second from the tops leafs, it slows the growth there, and helps growth below that node. So, like topping, it stunts growth, to help below growth, but of course, topping also splits into others, still stunts growth.

Now, when you strip it, it all stunts, then focuses on producing more Leafs, to harness the light once again. So, why does it stunt you ask?? Because you cut the power station down almost completely.

BUT, defoliation helps build other sites below that needed light stimulation to get hormones working for that flower site.

When you defoliate, YOU are now the main source for food. If you mess up timing, it harms the growth.

When i defoliate, i clip the leaf, and leave the stem. It seems to make it less stressful. I dont do it all at once. I start at the bottom, and work the way up over a few days.

The stems will continue to ween off. If you plant is thirsty alot, it will suck the stems dry, fairly quickly. If they take a week, it tells me its not drinking alot, and not needing the stems nutrition. Eventually, you can pick them off, and also doesnt leave any stem to the cola, which is cool for not having to dig and harm the final fruit.

Back
Top Bottom