Director's Review: Pot Culture - The Intersection Of Cannabis, Commerce and Entertain

Jimbo

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 00:01:59 By: Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director

One's very first impressions of Steve Bloom's and Shirley Halperin's Pot Culture, An A to Z Guide to Stoner Language and Life are of extremely high quality publishing, immense and comprehensive review of pot culture and a passion for cannabis.Said with a degree of cocksureness, there are not too many people in the world the director of NORML would fear in a 'pot culture' quiz, however, I quiver at the prospect of facing Bloom and Halperin in such a contest! I'd be hard pressed to identify a better written and published pro-cannabis polemical, especially its ability to chronicle pot culture through the lens of pop culture, notably the entertainment industry.
The expansive photos, nifty graphics, along with Steve Marcus' eye-catching cartoon art are of immense high quality, reflect the authors' mastery of subject matter and demonstrate genuinely hard publishing work (the photo credit work alone appeared to be a full time job). Abrams Image, the book's publisher, has produced a publication equal to the authors' passions.
One of the book's features I particularly like are the numerous celebrity guest contributions and commentaries, among the many:
-Adrianne Curry writes about 'How to hide the smell'
-Kal Penn opines on 'Playing a movie stoner'
-Melissa Etheridge on 'Medical Marijuana'
-Tommy Chong writes the book's introduction
-Jonah Hall demonstrates 'How to make apple pipe'
-Redman teaches 'How to roll a blunt'
-Matthew McConaughey 'Talking Dazed'
Written in an easy to read A to Z format, there are virtually no 'stoner' questions left unanswered, from 'when did 4:20 start?' to 'what are the most stoner-friendly movies and TV shows?' Pot Culture ably melds pop culture, politics and activism into a very informative and entertaining mix–not usually an easy task for a polemical, but Bloom and Halperin pull it off well.
Steve is a lifetime member of NORML and a frequent contributor to NORML's daily podcast, Daily AudioStash.
Upon completing Pot Culture I came to a familiar affirmation regarding cannabis prohibition: The more the government prohibits cannabis, rejects law reform efforts, spends tax dollars on enforcement and tries to suppress pot culture, the more the pot subculture (and economy) flourishes, expands effectively unabated and is ever-increasingly being embraced by mainstream media and culture.
Along with a pleasant, informative and comprehensive tour de force of the intersection of cannabis and commerce, Bloom & Halperin's Pot Culture profoundly demonstrates the resiliency of cannabis consumers in the face of a historically alcohol-dominant culture and so-called stoners' abilities to create a nurturing and sustained pot culture.
NORML Blog Blog Archive Director's Review: Pot Culture - The Intersection Of Cannabis, Commerce and Entertainment

Back
Top Bottom