Pot Culture book egregious error

Geodesic

Pot Culture: The A-Z Guide to Stoner Language and Life: Shirley Halperin, Steve Bloom, Tommy Chong

Generally an amusing and entertaining book but on pg. 27 there's an egregious error. "If the police ask to search your car we suppose you have no choice." When dealing with an illegal substance like pot such ignorance of the law is inexcusable. Of course you have a choice. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER cooperate with the law. They are not your friends. They are out to entrap you. NEVER give permission to enter your premises or search your car. If they didn't need your permission they wouldn't ask.

Know your rights.

I'm the co-author of Pot Culture. On p. 27 in the section called "Road Rules," the first sentence reads:

"A car is the most likely place to get busted. Once you're pulled over by the police, you have virtually no rights. Here's how to travel smart on the highway..."

Yes, we do write, "If the police ask you to get out of the car, do not refuse. If they ask to search the car, you really don't have much of a choice, so be polite and hope for the best."

I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the reality. Police don't need a search warrant to search you or your car when you are pulled over. This sucks.

The best thing to do is to not get in this situation. Don't break any laws while driving (no speeding, illegal turns, etc). If you're not stopped on the highway or streets, all of this will not be an issue.

Be safe, not sorry, stoners!

...Generally an amusing and entertaining book but on pg. 27 there's an egregious error. "If the police ask to search your car we suppose you have no choice."...

Totally false.

The only thing an officer is allowed to search for on your person is a weapon. They have no right to search your car or property without permission from you to do so or a valid court ordered search warrant. The warrant must also describe the place to be searched and what items are to be ceased in detail.

However, the use of a drug dog has been deemed as not being in violation of a citizens 4th amendment right. If the drug dog "hits" on your car or your person, this then gives them probable cause to search you further. In addition, it has been ruled that anything left in "plain sight" is fair game.

Those who make it clearly evident that they lack understanding on a particular subject (4th Amendment rights, illegal search and seizure etc.) should not be writing books pertaining to it. :peace:

I think Pot Culture is a great book and a very thorough assembly of the 420 culture.

I don't agree with the one sentence above.

I do agree with those that have made the point that you should not consent, cooperate, or assist. That said, if they are going to search - you don't need to do yourself any further harm or risk possible arrest by interfering with what LEOs going to do. My advice would be to leave your lawyer as much room to defend you as possible by;

- clearing stating you don't consent to search
- asking if you are free to leave or if you are being detained
- asking again if you being detained after traffic stop related activities have been completed
- exercising your right to remain silent and not answering any questions

Back
Top Bottom