Dirty dirt?

Kotter

I have been gardening vegetables for years. Just started growing pot last year. I try to keep it organic. I mix my own potting soil. Cow manure, goat manure, chicken manure, green sand, perlite, peat moss, garden soil and suffer. This works well for spouting my vegetables, and I have been using the mix for my reefer. So far I have had 100% germination with 26 marijuana plants. I did lose one due to transplant shock, I assume, because I dropped it while turning it over into the new pot. Last year I grow my marijuana plants in the garden mixed in with the tomato plants. I had one over seven foot tall. I cut a foot off the top twice because I was paranoid. This winter I move my marijuana inside.
The problem is I have had an infestation of spider mites, got rid of them by washing down the plants with dawn.
Now I have a new seedling that had signs of leaf miner on one leaf. I removed the leaf and flush it. I have not seen any of the mature insects. I did not have these problems with the plants I grew outside.
I am wondering if the soil I add to the mix is where the contaminations of insects are coming from. When I mix up my potting soil I do it outside on plywood. I leave the pile setting there for months at a time using as needed.
Is there something I need to do different?

The insects have no natural predators inside the house really so they breed much more successfully. It's possible that you are working in your outdoor garden then coming in to work on your plants inside, that's when the bugs get inside. Also your soil might have things living in it too.

I live in a fairly cold climate so spider mites don't naturally survive here in the wild so to speak. I got them in my grow from some clones a friend gave me. The mites can really thrive in an indoor grow. Which they did. Then they got in my garden greenhouse as well. They can spend a lot of time lurking or dormant and in the greenhouse I would rarely ever see them except in the hottest part of summer. But they were there and they became an invisible source that caused my grow room to become re-infested several times. I know they (or their eggs) can be lying dormant in the soil because-
After completely gutting my grow, bleaching, repainting everything, and starting fresh from seed, I hadn't seen a mite in about 4 months. I needed a couple pots so I broke the quarantine and got them from the garden shed in the back of the greenhouse. It was winter time- everything was frozen solid. The pots looked clean- maybe a few specks of dirt here and there. Normally I would have washed and sterilized them first but the garden water supply was turned off and everything was frozen so it was hard to imagine bugs at that moment. But the mites reappeared not long after that and I know the source was those pots.
Eventually I got them out of the greenhouse too thankfully.

Could be very possible that some insects over winter as eggs/larva etc in the soil & just wait for ideal conditions to come to life so to speak.

I'm not to sure on individual species of insect life cycle tho ?

It may mean having to sterilize the home mix compost before using indoors normally done by a heat process but could be a smelly job with those manures used.

Natural decomposing of organic material aka manures, plant matter etc generate heat in the process this kills of soil/manure based pathogens a long with most insects eggs etc.

The only thing i can think of is using a black plastic dustbin, black plastic absorbs heat leave the bin a sunny place in the garden mixing ya compost together stick it the bin at let cook for a few months or more :thumb:

I was just checking out some stuff on Soil Sterilizing Equipment ye type that into your internet search... :thumb:

Agriculture/Horticultural steam sterilization equipment i'm pretty sure after a little research you could improvise such a method.

Other methods & equipment also !

Back
Top Bottom