Disadvantages of transplanting?

old_skool

Hi,
I have a question about transplanting, in all the grows I had ever done (30 years ago) I always planted in enough soil medium to grow from start to finish without transplanting because I studied it caused very high stress, enough to kill the plant. I am experiencing this with my <a href="1st Grow in 30 yrs 12/12 HPS from Seed">current grow</a>

I had to transplant 7 seedlings from the peatpot's into a long/deep flowering box and you can tell they went into SHOCK :thedoubletake: no growth for 24 hours and after 48 hours you can tell they are still suffering because they only produced 1/8 to 1/4" growth on average :yikes: This is not good especially since even though the peatpot's were drying out fast the plants were growing 1/4 to 1/2" per day.

So my question is why transplant when the obvious results are shock and stunned growth wouldn't it be best to always plant in a enough soil medium so it can grow uninhibited??

Old Skool

Re: Disadvantages of transplanting!?!

I usually transplant several times each grow. By using a smallish container you speed the wet-dry cycle up. When I germinate seeds, I use a small yogurt container. At 7 - 10 days I transplant into either a party cup or a 1 gallon pot. Before flowering, I transplant into a 5 gallon container.

Personally, I do not see any stress following transplanting. You should handle the plant and rootball gently, and ideally transplant when the plant is just becoming rootbound.

Back
Top Bottom