Distilling for extracts

Cannabotanist

Anyone interested in distilling your own ethanol? I know a lot of people don't have access to Everclear, or are looking for a cost-effective way to get high proof alcohol for tinctures or extracts like shatter and honey oil. It takes a little time, but it's a cheap way to get a safer solvent than butane or denatured spirits. You can start with apple juice and yeast, or cheap vodka or wine if you're in a hurry.

I can type up instructions if anyone wants to know. Keep in mind that distilling alcohol without a license isn't legal in the US - but then again, neither is marijuana.

I built a small counter top still last year that can handle about 500 ml of liquid because I got sick and tired of throwing away perfectly good food grade ethanol. It works pretty well. I recover about 75% of the grain alcohol I use for extractions. Cost about $100 which includes a pretty good hot plate. Sets up and tears down in about ten minutes. I've tried it with vodka and wine and it works okay for that but I prefer using the already distilled stuff. I don't want to hassle with brewing it up from scratch. Making it from apples or whatever will leave a taste that may not be too good. Reclaiming saves a lot of money on ethanol.

I'm trying to piece together how to do it in an effective DIY manner, without compromising safety. I was planning on using the end result of a DIY yeast-CO2 generator and don't care too much about it being consumable, altho that would be a nice aid in making Limoncello :) (or consumable tinctures)

So yeah, it would be very much appreciated by at least me!

The CO2 generator is definitely safe. The still has been safe for me so far, but some people have difficulties because the ethanol is flammable, and it's easy to be careless and cause unpleasant, fiery problems for yourself. Distilling requires a stove or a hotplate, but a hotplate is certainly safer, like what oldchuck says he uses.

I built my still based on this video out of an old 1 gallon pressure cooker from a thrift store, a length of 8 mm copper tubing, a brass fitting from the hardware store, a bucket, and waterproof glue. Cost about $17. I used to distill on a gas stove and watch it very, very carefully, but it drove my gas bill up too much, so I bought a electric single burner on Amazon for $15. Oldchuck may have a better way to make a still, and $100 isn't that much in the long run. You can also buy them online for higher prices if you'd rather spend the money.

I'm using an aluminum pressure cooker at the moment, but I'd strongly recommend you get a stainless steel one! If I run the still too long, the water left in the still oxidizes the cooker and pits the metal. Not good.

You put the waste from the CO2 generator or whatever you're distilling into the pressure cooker and put it on high heat. The condenser needs to be kept away from the heat. If you distill slowly (lower temp) and keep the liquid you collect away from the still, ethanol fumes are less likely to escape from the still and cause danger of fire. Methanol boils at a lower temperature than ethanol, so discard the first 20-30 mL per gallon if you plan to drink ANY of it. If it's strictly for use as a solvent, you can leave the methanol, but all of the solvent must be evaporated from the extract. After that, the first 50 mL or so that come through the coil will be the most concentrated. You can check what proof the ethanol is with a hydrometer, which is pretty easy to buy online. If you collect the ethanol in small jars, you can run any ethanol that isn't high enough proof back through the still again until it's strong enough.

Oldchuck is correct that apple juice or whatever you use to provide nutrients for the yeast will leave some odors and flavors in the ethanol if you run it through only once, because the fruit contains oils and volatile compounds that boil before water. They're not very noticeable compared to the ethanol itself or what you're extracting from. If you double or triple distill like commercial vodka distillers do, all the odors completely disappear.

There's a lot of helpful information online, too. I haven't blown up the house yet, and I'm not exactly a qualified individual, so I think the still I'm using is safe if you use common sense and don't spill booze on the fire or steam the room up with fumes. Keep it ventilated, etc.

Oh, and I use 1/3 gallon 100% apple juice, 2/3 gallon water, 4 cups of sugar, and 1 g of yeast to make ~20% ethanol per undistilled gallon. Maybe for a full gallon of apple juice the flavors in the ethanol would be unpleasant unless you distilled it a few extra times, though I haven't tried it.

Back
Top Bottom