DIY COB LED build - 6 Cree CXB3070 220W

Didn't realize they were much different price wise on the other side of the pond? Here a vero29 is between $21-$28 USD even more some places. Which ain't bad unless you need 20 of them

Yeah I could really careless about your location that was just curriosty lol more if where you got everything from one place as everywhere I've looked you have to get different parts at different places with the exception of cobkits and rapid which are kinda over priced. No big deal either way
I wasn't trying to be funny I got my parts from Mouser, there aren't many other options to get everything from the same supplier over here. The cheapest I saw a vero29 converts to around $40 US and my Cree chips were about the same price.

I just built my first one.
200w full spectrum Cob.
420-magazine-mobile1900759844.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1144650384.jpg

Been working on the build again today, got my wiring finished off just need to mount the COBs and push fit the flexes to the terminals on the holders.
420-magazine-mobile122564895.jpg

Resistor and potentiometer soldered up for dimming circuit
420-magazine-mobile1116168157.jpg

Heatshrink on the dimming circuit for insulation and added strength
420-magazine-mobile1699703521.jpg

Mounted the dimmer on this tub which also holds all the wiring for the COB power leads.

I started drilling and tapping one of the heatsinks, unfortunately despite measuring countless times I've drilled the holes in the wrong place (could be the brownies I ate ). Took some photos during the process though
420-magazine-mobile1260795234.jpg

Made a paper template for the centres of the holes and used this to make a jig out of UPVC soffit I had lying around. Taped the jig to the heatsink and then punched centres for the holes through the holes in the jig.
420-magazine-mobile1482575460.jpg

Checking the punched centres against the paper template
420-magazine-mobile819912373.jpg

About to drill the heatsink. I've removed the fan and supported the heatsink on scrap timber to avoid damage. I used PTFE spray lube to lubricate and cool the bit during drilling.
420-magazine-mobile73572336.jpg

Checking the drilled holes against the paper template.
420-magazine-mobile1186920213.jpg

About to tap the hole. I ended up mounting the tap in the drill and going very slow with the torque setting on the drill chuck turned down low. I went forward a few turns and then back a little and so on, using the spray lube again. This seemed to work pretty well as the aluminium was quite soft.
420-magazine-mobile1480270954.jpg

Checking the machine screw threads into the heatsink. It went in fine no stiffness. You can see the holder I'm using in more detail here.
420-magazine-mobile1665713127.jpg

Rubbed the heatsink down with fine sandpaper to ensure good contact with the chip via the thermal grease.
420-magazine-mobile1104148237.jpg

Cleaned the heatsink before mounting the chip with nail polish remover and tissue.
420-magazine-mobile998830744.jpg

All the gunk that came off the heatsink.

I got to this point and then realised I'd drilled 10mm too close together... Can't read a ruler apparently. So I've stopped for a smoke and something to eat

Peace.

420-magazine-mobile2087574226.jpg

Discovered today that I will need to drill two additional holes in the heatsinks to accommodate positioning pins on the COB holders.
The terrible drawing above shows the measurements for marking out the centres of the holes. The Bs are holes for bolts and Ps are holes for pins. A 2.5mm hole will accept the pins which conveniently is the same size as the holes for the M3 machine screws.
420-magazine-mobile1242346754.jpg

New jig I made with all 4 holes in the right place. I cut it the same size as the heatsink footprint so I can centre the jig easily. This is the underneath of the jig, I marked the holes on this side but mirrored for better accuracy as this side will be in contact with the heatsink.

420-magazine-mobile1889691182.jpg

First COB mounted. A lot of fiddling around and re-doing things. Hopefully now I have my process dialed in. I wouldn't recommend using these two part holders unless you have access to proper tools (pillar drill at least) as they need to be very precisely mounted and it's incredibly hard doing it by eye with hand tools. I wish I'd looked harder for 1-piece holders.

This is really coming together. Nice job!

You can try soldering the ends and see if that helps ?
I tried this already, I think the wire I was using was just a little too thick and my soldering skills are mediocre as well so some ended up a bit lumpy. The hookup wire should give me a perfect connection just a shame having to wait when I thought I was nearly finished.

Back
Top Bottom