Does nutrient brand affect THC content?

CB Rob

Hi people,

I just finished puffing some super stinky, heavily crystallized Durban Poison. It was grown full term, in GH nutes with GH additives. Cured slowly for 3 weeks. Its not that stony :(
So, what factors, other than the genitics play a role on final potency?
Does that cheesy youtube video promoting advanced nutrients actually touch on the truth?
CB

Hi people,

I just finished puffing some super stinky, heavily crystallized Durban Poison. It was grown full term, in GH nutes with GH additives. Cured slowly for 3 weeks. Its not that stony :(
So, what factors, other than the genitics play a role on final potency?
Does that cheesy youtube video promoting advanced nutrients actually touch on the truth?
CB

Here's what I would say about nutrients and THC content.

A plant needs certain things to grow strong and to produce THC in higher amounts. When the plant grows without any nutes, they're going to have a certain level of THC, but when nutrients are added to the mix, it increases the potency of the plant since certain processes in the plant are supported in ways they weren't supported before the nutrients were added.

Genetics obviously matter, but even so, what your plant grows in and the nourishment it gets will matter more. Just like you can eat healthier and feel better, your plants will 'feel better' when you give them good nutrients.

From my experience, and I'm not a scientist, I've had a much better high from plants grown with Advanced Nutrients. Other highs tend to make me fall asleep, but the AN high is much more mellow and it's not something that knocks me out. I'd rather be functional.

Now, if that's what a high THC percentage means, then yes, I think that nutrient brand affects the THC content. However, the brand alone isn't going to change anything about a plant.

It's more about how you USE the nutrient. If you use it like an idiot, your plants are going to suffer. Use the nutrients the way they're supposed to be used, and you'll see results.

I know it's hard to believe everything that you see online - and you're absolutely right for asking questions - but I would go with your experience with the buzz. Test out different nutes, see what happens. Unless you have a lab in your house, that's really the only way to truly know whether one nute works better to produce THC than another.

:rollit:

i run advanced, and not that you have to go out and buy up the whole line of every thing thinking you need it. one of there base and a few additives go along way. i use sensi a&b, big bud, over drive, bud candy, kushy kush. it works perfect for me.

Have there been any unbiased tests done? That would be pretty cool to see, from someone other than a nute company. I'm a new grower, but from the reading of done so far I'm thinking that all of the nute company's are putting out good products. Maybe the AN instructions are more stoner proof than their competitors.

CBRob: I would like to elaborate on what's been said. The size of the root container is critical. It plays a much bigger role than most people realize. IMHO, whether in soil or aero, you have to provide more root room than the grown plant would utilize grown in nature. There are many factors as to why. Drainage during flower is a major reason.

Looking at 99% of the pics posted anywhere, most growers are providing less than half the physical space roots need. This compromises the plants ability to utilize nutrients, especially during flower.

IMHO, if your plant will be 3 ft tall at maturity you need at least a 10 gallon container. Imagine how detrimental it will be growing this plant in a 3 gallon container. You might be giving it the right amount of nutes, it just can't take full advantage of them. This will affect the quality and quantity of the harvest.

Need more plants? No problem. Small containers and SOG will do the trick

I have a hard time believing its the nutes, im not saying they dont matter but the major companies out there all provide what the plants need as well as additives to go along.

Did you grow this ? when you say grown full term what does that mean exactly? its suppose to be a 8 week strain and it went 8 weeks so it went full term? if so thats not going to cut it :roorrip: . what were the trichomes at?

The truth is, only a few nute companies formulate specifically for mj. Dutch Masters is one. AN might be another, if you could figure out which products specifically. They seem to be running scared from saying anything about mj. My frind who is handling the Kush Expo in Anaheim next week talked to get AN about getting a booth. He was turned down, and told they are not doing shows specific to mj anymore. That seems odd after all the companies they have bought up recently.

I used AN for my first hydro grow; Sensi Grow A&B and Sensi Bloom A&B, and. although I screwed it up horribly and burnt my plants, the bud I ended up with is wonderful. I am now on my second hydro grow, and I decided to go with the "hobbyist" bundle advertised on AN's site, which includes the above, as well as Voodoo Juice, B-52, Big Bud, and Overdrive. This was quite expensive, but should last several crops, and even if I screw it up like the first time, I'll still get 8 ounces, so I'm way ahead of the game. I'm projecting double that.

The Voodoo Juice is amazingly expensive, but claims to promote vigorous root growth among other things, and, as far as I can tell now, not two weeks into my grow, the root claims are true. They seem to double in size every day. And I have not yet reached 100% on my nutes. I started with 10% and increased by 10% every two days, watching carefully for signs of over-fertilization. So far so good, and I'm at 60%.

I would like AN to continue not referencing pot in their literature. No sense in getting raided and going out of business. Until prohibition ends, discretion is still the better part of valor.

Peace,
Ruckatruck

I agree in the statement that Nutrients do affect plant quality and THC quantity. Happy plants produce maximum ammounts of the good stuff as long as they are healthy plants. To have an extremely healthy happy plant you would need to have a fully ballenced nutrient regimen. Meaning having 1 suppliers full line. You would need the essential Macro nutes found in all Micro/Grow/Bloom formulas. Addatives are Micro nutrients which usually are accompanied by sugars viable to be used for floral production in a plan. Having a good broad spectrum of Macro and Micro nutes allong with optimal environment conditions accompanied with the best genetics and growers techniques will give you the best yeild. As said before, one may have all the nutes and tools needed to grow great bud. Having the knowledge and will to maintain a near perfect environment is a different thing.

wow ir really rambled on there lol

Just my humble opinion....

When you stress a female and not let her get pollinated she produces a sticky substance (resin) in higher abundance to hopefully catch pollen. It is a mater of propagation and survival of the species. A healthy happy plant May do it better. How that plant gets healthy is a matter of everything in it's environment. If it has the proper amounts of what it needs at the key times things are fine. So getting the most of your specific genes is determined by health. However, word on the streets is that genes are the biggest factor in potency. The best thing you can do to improve potency is start off with the best genes. They say that there is enough genetic diversity in seeds to always end up with a winner and some loser no matter what strain though.

I picked up an all-in-one nute kit from my local hydro shop, they're Technaflora's B.C. line
0922002028a.jpg
0922002029.jpg

its worked wonders for me, i've been using them for 2 1/2 grows now, about 15 plants in total soil & hydro, and the only thing running low is the yellow boost bottle. its worked great for me, no problems, no deficiencies, and no nute burn just follow the directions :p

I like GH. The price is right and I have excellent results!!!:roorrip:

I use GH and love it. Tho nutes can make a difference, genetics and harvest timing usually are the make or break stats. Many people harvest way to early and some too late.

:peace:
WillyB

Yeah, I think a lot of people harvest early because of impatience or greed (gotta get that extra crop). I'm growing Kali Mist because I like Sativas. I'll trade for some good Indica if I want a soporific or maybe just a change. This strain flowers for at least 10 weeks and grows quite tall, so most people won't grow it. It also seems a bit more difficult to clone.

Jorge Cervantes claims that there is a best time to harvest depending on strain. Generally, Sativas should be harvested when the trichomes are mostly clear with a few of them starting to turn cloudy. Indicas, on the other hand, should be harvested when the trichomes have mostly turned milky or even amber-colored. The rub here is that you won't know exactly when that point comes until you have grown a strain at least once, and the last week of flower should be used for flushing. So you won't know exactly when to flush the first grow. In addition, apparently harvesting when the trichomes are more clear gives buds with a cerebral stone, while waiting until they turn darker gives a heavier, couch-lock stone. So it also depends on what you like.

Anyone got thoughts on that?

Personally, I think that the amount of THC ultimately depends on strain, but that the best in any strain is brought out by growing the healthiest plants possible and harvesting them at their peak.

Peace,
Ruckatruck

Back
Top Bottom