Does the topsy turvy work with weed?

I'm trying this right now actually. The stem follows gravity down but all the shade leaves turn them selves over to get more light. it's about 3 foot tall and the branches do angle them selves up slightly. the gravity effect on the buds is what i cant wait to see. but its just been an experiment so far.

in the video the plants not in topsy turveys look like they are doing much better, but that could just be me...

I own 4 of these and grew cherry tomatoes with them in my greenhouse this year. They also make model for growing chili peppers. Have one of those also. You have to be careful when growing with these because the bag acts as a greenhouse and can cook the roots if you're not careful. As for growing weed. It would work fine for vegging or making mother plants but the problem I see is when you water the water trickles down onto the plant and soaks the plant. This could be a problem causing powdery mildew in flowering. However, being able to hang these would make them ideal for growing in spots. Seeing as how my tomato plants have died because of the recent cold October weather I will buy or make several clones and grow them in the Topsey Turvey and post pics. This sound like a fun project. I have a perfect place to hang them also indoors. I have a No Holes Bar light stand so this should be a fun weekend project.

Ok. I should have almost everything I need. Went to the local collective and picked up seven clones. Two "headband", one Lemon Diesel, a Purple Urkle, one Romulan. I have transplanted them into one gallon pots and will give them a week under my T5 to let them get over the transplant shock. Then, one of these lucky clones will make it into my Topsey-Turvey. Haven't decided which one yet, maybe the Lemon Diesel. One other thing is I will be painting the Topsey Turvey black. My hope is this will stop light from getting to the roots. The material the Topsey Turvey is made out of is a thick green plastic and light shines though it so I am hoping painting it black will improve root development. I got my digital camera out of the closet but the battery is completely dead and will not hold a charge so I will buy a new battery and post some pics if and when there is some good growth.

P.S. I remembered this right when I hit post. A 5 Gallon bucket with a hole in the center and other tiny holes on the bottom makes a great home brew Topsey Turvey! So, if you don't want to go out and buy one you can make one really simply using a spare 5 gallon bucket. I have done this many many times to grow tomato plants. Simply use the handle of the bucket as the hook and make sure you hang it somewhere secure because they are very heavy with dirt/water/plant.

I'm chomping at the bit to get this done but I need to wait until Friday before I get paid so I can buy some decent planting soil. I also came up with a way of containing the water when I water the plant. I took a cord and ran it through the bottom of the bucket so when I water the runoff water will drip into the 5 gallon bucket instead of the floor. I was also thinking about taking the Topsey Turvey for growing peppers and putting 2 or 3 clones in there allso because the bag has holes on the sides of the bag instead of the bottom. I might give it a try. I have some mother plants I am making clones for it right now. Buying clones at the collective was just too expensive and I'm not sure I want to spend money when I can make clones myself.

Transplanted the Purple Urkle clone into the Topsey Turvey today and gave it a good dose of water and nutrients to get things moving. Also, took some photos with my digital camera but the plant hasn't really started growing toward the light yet so I will give it another week or so before I snap any photos. I was happy I went through the hassle of doing this actually because I have a plant canopy sea of green covering every inch of the ground in my veg room so being able to hang a plant or 3 takes advantage of the very limited space and light being thrown off to the edges that would normally be wasted. I'm thinking these would also be good for stealth outdoor grows in trees too.

To update I finished my grow with the Topsey Turveys. Nothing to write home about. Maybe it was the fact that I used a tiny clone that was undervegged and forced it to flower but I did get several small branches with some small buds on them. The plant kept trying to grow up into the grow bag instead of out and around so training the plant on a almost daily basis was needed. I had the plant positioned getting the side light off my 1000 watt Sunmaster. The plant was in the grow zone but still, very small yields compared to my plants grown in waterfarms and smart pots the Topsey Turvey plant was a joke. More a novelty like a Chia Pet than anything else. I came, I saw, I found the Topsey is not good for growing ganja.

These would be really good if you were doing a guerilla grow and put them up in the trees to keep the deer from eating them. Only problem is the yields I got really sucked. However, you could do the same thing with a 5 or a 2.5 gallon bucket from the dollar store and not hang them upside down and hang them up in the trees using a pulley system to water them. Heres some photos of some PURPLE URKLE I grew indoors using Topsey Turveys
Picture_00744.jpg

My buddy and I saw that frigging commercial too. At first we were kinda excited... then we were like... "whats the point... how much space are you really gonna save... can you hang it high enough that you can walk under it and still reach it to water and feed it. Also just following the sames laws the plants always do (gravity and light), won;t the plant just grow up around the planter. I have a feeling the grew that tomato plant on the ground and turned upside down for filming.

WRONG MY FRIEND! They do work, and it was not turned upside down for the commercial....I bought one and it worked great and I did get tomatoes, not to say they were anything awesome but my daughter liked it so that was all that mattered....:cheer:

Cool, I've heard lots of people say it would work incredible.
Now I have pics.lol
Different kind of plant, I think. Aren't most(all?) tomatoes vine? You could probably grow anything in it, so long as it's a fruiting vine. Peas n Cucumbers?
Looks like you really are growing 24/7. lol

What about growing sideways, using fluorescent tubes laid across the
pot tops at least initially until the main light is used
in an effort to train it to bend and curl into a bushy, low, closet height , giant bush bud

also would too much light and or keeping a huge light hovering without burning
keep a plant down and stunted in a closet? for space

or What about literally holding the main stalk down with wire

Back
Top Bottom