drying/curing

CustomMX6

I've read so much about these subjects but I just cant find what I need, and I know this topic has been beatin to death...

Let's say...I just harvested my plants... Is it as simple as cutting the buds and then hanging them in my closet? I've also read to place them in paper bags.. After a couple weeks, when I decide to cure, can I just put them in a glass jar, and then in my refrigerator? (Dark, yes I know) In doing this I'll leave the jar open for about 20-30 minutes a day? Someone even said to do it for 6 hours a day. Also...if I plan to reuse the plant, does it matter how many leaves are still on the plant, within reason?

Sorry to sound like a noob...well...I am to growing! Anyone that helps is welcome to come to the great lakes to smoke some of this with me. :Rasta:

When I harvest, I first trim all fan leaves, into one pile, then I trim all the leave tips so all I have is trim bud. Then I hang to dry in a dark dry plaec with ventilation until buds are dry to the touch. Then I place the buds into mason jars and seal them and put em back into a dark place. After 8 hours or so I check and the buds hould be moist again. I then mix the buds around in the jar and leave them open until once again dry to the touch. Continue doing this, until buds are still dry when the jar is opened. At this point, buds are fully cured, all moisture ahs been redistributed and evaporated. Now buds can be stored in the jars or sealed bags without going moldy. Plus the high is much better with cured bud. I even cure bud I buy thats still damp, potency goes through the roof!

Don't put your weed in the fridge, The trichomes(crystal) become brittle and break and fall off easily. People put bud and trim in freezers because of this to make kif extraction easier for hash making. Just store in a cool dark area and check daily. All other info above sounds good. Using paperbags is another method for drying that you can do instead of hanging the plants or hang for a couple days athen store in bags until dry enough. The trick is to let your buds dry slowly without molding and its very easy, I don't think you will have to many problem bro.

The reason to hang the buds even before paper bagging it is necessary. The initial drying not only gets rid of moisture but lets all the chlorophyl subside. If you dont hang em, you may trap chlorophyl

Lord Jebus said:
The reason to hang the buds even before paper bagging it is necessary. The initial drying not only gets rid of moisture but lets all the chlorophyl subside. If you dont hang em, you may trap chlorophyl
I agree, Its why I hang then bag then jar.
I mostly bag for space saving.

CustomMX6 said:
so maybe...hang them for a week, then in the bag for a week?

When you hang dry, most people wait til the stems are dry enough to crack and break. But with the paper bag method you remove as much stem as possible because they retain moisture and slow the drying process. Well each bud has a little nub for a stem on one end. Grab one of the larger buds and bite down on the stem. If you feel it give instead of crack it needs more time to dry in the bag. If you feel it crack (and you will because your jaw is more sensitive than your hands) between your teeth. You know its now time to weigh in and jar the bud for curing.
About once a day I will open the jar for 5 minutes to a couple hours. The bud should feel a little springy. If it does not you will need to rehydrate your bud.
Just put a fan leaf or two in the jar with the bud or a piece of fruit peel like a apple or a orange.
Hope this info helps. LOL Grow well!

Lord Jebus said:

Not true.
I stopped hang-drying my buds 15 years ago, when I found out about bag drying. Now the buds go from the trim table into bags.
There's a thread somewhere in this forum where I detail how I bag dry and cure.
Curing is much more than "moisture re-distribution". There is a chemical process going on. That's why cured bud is more potent than uncured bud. Curing is a form a decomposition, i.e. composting. Chemical processes occur that convert non-psychoactive alkaloids into psychoactive ones. The reason you uncap the jar for 10 minutes a day is to let the built-up gases escape and to keep that process going.

True Ranger, and this chemical trasformation is how chlorophyl dissipates.

Lord Jebus said:
True Ranger, and this chemical trasformation is how chlorophyl dissipates.

Both methods work well, it normally takes me three days to trim a crop.
While I am trimming I like to hang dry in a closet and after I trim I paper bag it. Very convienent but its best to hang the paper bag also or a least keep it of the floor. I left some trim in a bag that was on a concrete floor and it molded on me. I guess the floor was too cold.
Because of Ranger, I have been using the bag method more often but I still hang dry first. It just does not feel right to bag them so soon.:laughtwo: :laughtwo:
Thanks for the good advise, both you and Ranger.

I let mine hang for a week until the bud got really dry "stem kinda snapping" then jared them.After the first 10-12 hours I opened the jar and the buds feel a little too moist to me.Is it alright if I but them in brown bags for a while then go back to the jar?Only been in jar two days.

Yeah I was just wondering if I missed the bagging ,and it needed to dry more to be jared could I just bag it up for a couple days then go back to the jar?Newbie dry cure.:bitingnails::passitleft:

Cool. Mad science. I'm pretty much doin what u r all doin. Kinda dry... Kinda bag.... Kinda jar.... And hope I did the best I can do. Although I really don't know what the F I'm doing. Goin by feel, smell, sight. May we all be blessed with a proper batch.

Back
Top Bottom