Drying Humidity & Why

Koolbudz

So I see all these numbers all over when it comes to growing, veg, flower, drying etc..... Well I am confused by one set of numbers....

Drying humidity....

I hear people freak out about humidity levels during flower and suggest 35-50% RH during flower so you dont get mold or bud rot, but then I see many people say dry at a RH of around 60-65% till stems snap .....

What about rot and mold????

I ask because I have not much experience and all my drying has usually taken 4-5 days and then goes in jars yet all I ever smell is grass/hay unless of course I fondle my nugs.... I hate having to fondle my nugs....

30-35 will lead to overdrying with hay smell

60-65 with proper ventilation will prevent mold, also if you're laying it on some cupboard make sure to flip them buds every few hours.

The reason of grass/hay is due to the presence of chlorophyll breaking down .
It should be normal for drying phase, that's why with RH 60-65 after a week the smell will reduce.

Once cured the smell will return back

I found keeping RH 60-65% will produce smell that no curing will bring back.. What have I done wrong? any suggestions?

I found keeping RH 60-65% will produce smell that no curing will bring back.. What have I done wrong? any suggestions?

how long are you curing it that no smell returns? and 65 is too high,, buds stick together,, not good. right around 60 they seperate

how long are you curing it that no smell returns? and 65 is too high,, buds stick together,, not good. right around 60 they seperate
at least three weeks... on most smell always returns but I seem to do something wrong at the first initial stages of drying and that seem to kill the smell and flavour tbh

I dry at 68⁰ with 60% humidity.
I would go cooler if I could but 68⁰ is about as cool as I can get.
If I had a space I could do 62⁰ with 62% humidity I would, you could basically leave the bud hanging in that space for about as long as you like.
I was thinking of doing 70 with 55% but never tried it my self.. only heard it does work.. have you tried it?
Would you say the 62/62 settings would help with white ash/ flavour?

cannabis 'does' kinda lose all of the smell going thru the drying stage,, it gets a grassy smell, quite grassy,, but that fades as the cure carries on and the smell returns gradually and intensifies with aging

I was thinking of doing 70 with 55% but never tried it my self.. only heard it does work.. have you tried it?
Would you say the 62/62 settings would help with white ash/ flavour?
Right now I do 68⁰ and 60% humidity and that gets decent size oily buds down to between 62-65% humidity once put into a jar after about 10 days dry time.
From there another 2 months curing in jar gives me pretty much white ash every time.

20190322_183043.jpg

cannabis 'does' kinda lose all of the smell going thru the drying stage,, it gets a grassy smell, quite grassy,, but that fades as the cure carries on and the smell returns gradually and intensifies with aging
Thanks for this. I will be sure not to panic this time and just have more hope in curing

Right now I do 68⁰ and 60% humidity and that gets decent size oily buds down to between 62-65% humidity once put into a jar after about 10 days dry time.
From there another 2 months curing in jar gives me pretty much white ash every time.

20190322_183043.jpg
wow amazing work mate honestly wished my burn this good.

Would you always put them in jars after 10 days or you would wait for the stems to snap first? I'm assuming at this temp and humidity after 10 days they are ready every time?

wow amazing work mate honestly wished my burn this good.

Would you always put them in jars after 10 days or you would wait for the stems to snap first? I'm assuming at this temp and humidity after 10 days they are ready every time?
It varies, could be ready at 9 days or might be 14.
10 is an average.
The "snap" is just the outer skin on the stem that you hear snap.
The whole trunk or stem never really snaps right in half like a dry piece of spaghetti.
Every bud is a little different, some super dense some bit airy.

Just have to go by feel, and then test by filling up a jar and putting a hygrometer in it to see.

Back
Top Bottom