Dual Spectrum II VS MH & HPS

Mr.M

Currently I have two sets of the dual spectrum bulbs. I have heard of people using both spectrums at the same time, but I thought they were to be used at separate times, veg and flowering. Am I incorrect in this assumption?

Also I have been looking into purchasing a HPS and MH setup in hopes of expanding. But all this talk of ballasts and conversion bulbs have left me befuddled and wary of spending money. What would be the most adequate set up for, lets say, 400 Watt bulbs?

And then lastly, would there be any significant differences in the yields between the dual spectrum setup and the HPS/MH setup. ;)

Currently I have two sets of the dual spectrum bulbs. I have heard of people using both spectrums at the same time, but I thought they were to be used at separate times, veg and flowering. Am I incorrect in this assumption?

A mixed spectrum is a good thing. Consider: You are growing a 100% indica. It's already short and compact. You add some <3000K lighting during the vegetative cycle in order that the plant will grow not quite so compactly (perhaps you are worried about mold/rot in the center of the plant where humidity is higher due to transpiration). Or you're growing a sativa and add some ~6500K lighting during flower to keep the stretch from overgrowing your GR.

The traditional ratio is 75% 6500K / 25% 2700K (or below) for vegetative phase and reversing the percentages for flowering.

Keep in mind that sunlight is not a single-spectrum light.

Also I have been looking into purchasing a HPS and MH setup in hopes of expanding. But all this talk of ballasts and conversion bulbs have left me befuddled and wary of spending money. What would be the most adequate set up for, lets say, 400 Watt bulbs?

My 400-watt Lumatek ballast was only $120 before shipping and it will run both (at separate times, of course) a 400-watt HPS and a 400-watt MH with no trouble. Also 250-watt ones, lol.

And then lastly, would there be any significant differences in the yields between the dual spectrum setup and the HPS/MH setup. ;)

Guess it depends on what exactly you mean by dual-spectrum. Are you talking about running two sets of CFLs that are biased towards two different spectrum? One bulb that is enhanced with an additional amount of illumination - such as a 430-watt HPS with an extra blue element? Or something along the lines of a 1kW bulb which actually includes both a 600-watt HPS and 400-watt MH in it?

Wow.. see I hadn't even realized. I knew how the two different types of light affected the plant, but I didn't consider how they could be used with each other in that sort of situation. I figured it was best to use as much light that is in the vicinity of 6500K as you could during veg, and as much 3000K for flowering. But then again I am only a beginner at this. But I'm learning..

And by dual-spectrum I mean a pair of 85W fluorescent lights. One gives off more red light and is 3000K, and the other gives off more blue and is at 6500K. I know they don't sound like much but these bulbs are fairly large and give off plenty of light, about 5000 lumens each. I have two sets of these, but sometimes I feel like it was a waste for me to get if using the HPS/MH would be better. But also I'm not trying to make a huge crop, I have limited space. But I am still gathering information for the future when I can expand.

I also learned something else from you, there can be a bulb with both a HPS and MH bulb? It seems there wouldn't be enough blue light for vegging, but then again it'll only make it stretch more right?

I'm going to look into that Lumatek ballast too, it sounds promising.

Back
Top Bottom