Spectrum Guys Question

Bush Doctor 77

I've got an old HID reflector that holds two 400 watt bulbs. It came with a double magnetic ballast with a HPS side and MH side. The HPS side went out, so I bought a new digital ballast that can run MH and HPS. Now the spectrum question: should I run two MH bulbs in veg or one MH and one HPS to get the best grow spectrum. I will bloom under 1000watt DE HPS.

2 MHs, otherwise you'll get different growing traits under each light, such as nodal spacing.
They are both in the same Gorilla reflector, and I was wondering if adding the yellow HPS to the MH vs 2 MH would create a broader spectrum for veg state, and would that be a good thing. I've gotten very good results using the MH & HPS combination for bloom.

If they are in the same reflector then I see what you're saying. Personally I would still go 2 MH. If its beneficial to run a MH over an HPS in veg, then it's probably beneficial to run 2 MHs over one of each. I don't like to use any HPS until mid week 3 of flower.

Results are results, so don't change it if it ain't broke. Still, I would run 2 HPS over one of each in flower. I know you said you get good results. I'm sure you could run one of each for the entirety of the grow and be pretty set without having to change out bulbs. But I would bet you'd get even better results going double MH in veg and double HPS in flower.

If they are in the same reflector then I see what you're saying. Personally I would still go 2 MH. If its beneficial to run a MH over an HPS in veg, then it's probably beneficial to run 2 MHs over one of each. I don't like to use any HPS until mid week 3 of flower.

Results are results, so don't change it if it ain't broke. Still, I would run 2 HPS over one of each in flower. I know you said you get good results. I'm sure you could run one of each for the entirety of the grow and be pretty set without having to change out bulbs. But I would bet you'd get even better results going double MH in veg and double HPS in flower.

It's a moot point. I just tried to put a MH bulb in, but 2 of those are too long to fit. I'll just run an HPS and MH as that's my only alternative beside going to my 1000w HID.

Back
Top Bottom