Midn8Toker

420 Member
First time using HID lighting. Just picked up a reflector, 600w MH lamp, and Apollo 600 ballast to replace my T5 setup.

Hooked it all up, fired the light with no issue.

On closer inspection, the ballast (model # uhps-d600) doesnt specifically say it can run MH lamps.

Ballast is making a high pitch noise. From what I've read, digital ballasts should be near silent.

Is noise caused by age, or could it be caused from running an MH bulb with a ballast intended for HPS, or should some high frequency noise be expected?

Can't find much info out there.

Attachments

• IMG_20190303_205923704.jpg
    IMG_20190303_205923704.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 203
On closer inspection, the ballast (model # uhps-d600) doesnt specifically say it can run MH lamps.

You should be fine. Some older and cheaper electronic 600-watt ballasts had issues with 600-watt metal halide bulb longevity, and you might buy a random bulb brand and find that it fails to fire either initially or within a short period of time (week) but other than that, lol.

Ballast is making a high pitch noise. From what I've read, digital ballasts should be near silent.

It looks like that ballast has provisions for a fan inside it. Unless you have extraordinary hearing and are young enough to hear those ultra-faint "electronic sounds" that some electronic gizmos produce that no one over the age of 25 or so can even ever detect... My guess is that unplugging it and blowing air through it in the opposite direction of normal flow with an air compressor and "blow tool" will help some and that then swapping the old fan out for a brand new one would help a bunch.

Now if you notice that the bulb starts "singing," then you've got a problem (harmonics? IDFK... ) , and should probably discontinue use of that specific brand of MH bulb with that specific brand of ballast.

Back
Top Bottom