magnetic ballast noise

Stumped

Hey I got a few questions maybe someone can help me out.

Currently I have a 400wat magnetic hid and the noise isn't that bad after its running for a hour. Recently I was given 2 magnetic 1000w HPs ballasts and bulbs. The new ballasts look a hell of a lot newer then my old 400. My question is how much louder will this ballast be? Or will it be about the same? Obviously I'm only going to run 1 of these.

Second... The breaker I'm using is a 15a. Can I run 1 1000w, 2x 42w cfl. 25w exhaust fan, 4x 5w circulating fans and a 3.5 watt air pump. Total watts 1132.5. Should be right around 10a. Is this safe to run?

Next.... These ballasts are just the ballasts, ignitors and the other part I forget the name, no housing. Can I just mount these on plywood? Or should I sit them on bricks or concrete board?

My current setup in a single 400w mh and I'm told they generate more heat in the room then a 400w hps. My current high temp is just about 75c. In the summer I was well over 85 and had great crops. So should I expect big temp spikes? Or marginal being as I'm going 400w to 1000w but mh to hps.

Also.. Don't yell at me.. My timer isn't grounded. Been working fine for a year no issues. Should I definitely ground this 1000w?

Re: magnetic ballast noise.

As long as you don't go over the 15 amps you should be fine. I have my ballast on a piece of floor tile on top off a dresser. Your temps will go up with 1000 watter, but nothing you can't fix with a fan blowing under the light.

:peace:

Re: magnetic ballast noise.

As long as you don't go over the 15 amps you should be fine. I have my ballast on a piece of floor tile on top off a dresser. Your temps will go up with 1000 watter, but nothing you can't fix with a fan blowing under the light.

:peace:

Thanks for the tip!

Now I'm just trying to figure out if temps will be OK. Got 3 weeks left on half the room, so when that's done I'll be able to get into the room easier.

I don't know the exact measurements of the room, never did actually measure it. I figure its 4 x 5 and expandable to 6 or 7 feet long.

I can easily swap back to the 400 if heat is a issue.

OK so i was doing some reading about growroom temps..... Apparently I was measuring the radient heat from my light now my room temp. My thermometer was mounted pretty close to my light hanging like I've seen in many grow room pics.

I moved my thermometer to the wall and shaded by some leafs. Air temp was 20c 5 min before lights out.

I don't think I'll have an issue with the 1k w.

I decided to bite the bullet and set it up.... Got the 1000w hps running for a hour now. Temp is about 24c (broke my theometer that tells F)

With the old 400 mh temps were about 3c less at this point. As point as I can keep it under 30 35 I should be OK till I pickup a cool tube for it.

Also. Are HPS bulbs supposed to buzz? Not the ballast. That is in a different room. Running a 1000w sun master. New bulb.

My mh was the opposite. Ballast hummed and bulb was quiet. Now the hps ballast is quiet but the bulb humms abit. Sounds like metal pinging in the glass.

The first advice given is very bad. Do not run a sustained load of more than 85% max current on a circuit. This is a great way to burn down your house. Remember that when you are calculating Amperage pull of a device to use 110 volts (the actual draw amount) and not 120.

Yea after some research I found the same thing. 75% or so. The ballast says 10.5 amp at 110v so I decided to just run the light and light only on that breaker. The other 150 watts on its own breaker.

That was very very bad advice lol no offence to the first guy, but shit man.

Thanks for confirming some valuable info hosebomber

Back
Top Bottom