Using a dimmable 1000w ballast

Canadabinol

Hi, I'm curious as to how a dimmable ballast works. I have a 1000w ballast with 1000w HPS and MH Bulbs. My question is: If I want to dim down the ballast to 75% or 50% instead of running it at the full 1000w (incase temps become an issue) do I need to buy 500w or 750w bulbs? or does the ballast just output less power to the 1000w bulb hence making it dimmer.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Can I use a 1000w bulb when running my digital ballast at a lower setting.

Thanks for any help whatsoever~

One.

If you use probe start bulbs like hortilux, ushios, cheap plantmax's, maxlumes etc. you'll experience certain failures: BULB FLICKERING, Shorter bulb life, and random miss fires! I actually just bought several Solis Tek Matrix Lcd Digital Ballast from these guys: mbferts.com, and this is where I got all my info from. FYI I too bought cheap bulbs and since learned "the hard way" that you must use pulse start bulbs.

Good news is they sell them for around $60 NEW (FYI $120 MSRP), also they were selling the Matrix's for $200(FYI $400 MSRP) NEW, but Solis Tek I guess made them raise their list prices. I recently talked to them and they said "My friends and I would have to call or email them for the prices, since they no longer can list ANY Solistek products this low on their site, or they can lose their right to sell them." Good group off people though, and in this "cut throat business" we need people like them out here, you know the people who look out for the little guys!

Red Neck

Back
Top Bottom