Ducting Question

shaker1

Question....my friend has a 6" 409 cfm fan but running 4" ducting. Also has a 8"x6"cored, 24" long DIY carbon filter reduced to fit the 4" ducting. How hard will this be on the fan? Will it be able to pull enough through to work? The area is 2.5x2.5x7' with a 400hps. 2 3" passive intake holes from a room with a/c. Plans on running 3-4 plants from Sannie's. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Ducting Question.

Reducing the intended duct size will most likely reduce the life of the fan. Really have no idea by how much. The fan will probably be louder due to it trying to pull through a smaller duct. I'm guessing he got the 4 inch duct cause that's all he saw at the HD or Lowes? If so I would recommend getting insulated 6 inch flex duct and remove the insulation.

Thanks for the reply, Stix. That's kinda what was figured. Gotta work with whats there now and hopfully, it being a fairly good fan, it will last a couple harvests, then will redisign. I'm just hoping it doesn't bunch up like a stuck vacume cleaner and rip everything apart, lol.....

Re: Ducting Question.

Reducing the intended duct size will most likely reduce the life of the fan. Really have no idea by how much. The fan will probably be louder due to it trying to pull through a smaller duct. I'm guessing he got the 4 inch duct cause that's all he saw at the HD or Lowes? If so I would recommend getting insulated 6 inch flex duct and remove the insulation.

...or double-walled type-B 6" vent - it'll cut the noise a bit both from being rigid and smooth inside and from the extra wall with the dead-air space in between. Of course, you'd still need some short pieces of the flex if it's going to have to pull double duty as both the odor-control ventilation and the light-cooling ventilation so that the light could still be raised/lowered (but there are a number of reasons why that's not the best idea in the world, anyway). Selkirk is a good brand that isn't too expensive (or at least it used to be).

Back
Top Bottom