Ebb & Gro: How do you clean the system mid-grow?

PerpetualNoob

I just finished my first crop. All in all it turned out well given the challenges of a brand new grower making mistakes and having heat issues early in the grow until I got the greenhouse ventilation dialed in.

One thing that concerned me during the grow was the inability to get a really good clean on the Ebb & Gro. We would pull the plants out of the buckets every couple of weeks and wipe sediment out of the bottom but that wasn't practical once the plants got big. Space in the room was limited and it got to the point we were risking damaging the plants to pull them out of the buckets like that.

Starting with the second week of flush (one week to harvest) the reservoir started to smell like a sewer instead of a fish tank. Since we were flushing I combated this by just dumping and starting clean every couple of days. It seemed to work and we had a successful harvest.

So gearing up for round two I'm looking for some advice on how others are keeping their ebb & gro clean. What do you do during the grow to clean the system?

I have an ebb n grow style unit. When I do res changes every 14 days I take my handy cordless wet and dry vac and suck the bottoms of the buckets out. Its also good for the tubing that connects all of the system, Suck up all of the residual salts left behind. As everything gets bigger I have the wife help with it. Shes the best.Sometimes I think its more her garden than mine. Any how thats how I handle it.

Perpetual,

Since we were flushing I combated this by just dumping and starting clean every couple of days. It seemed to work and we had a successful harvest.

You got it my friend..answered your own question..from the day you run water you should be changing your reservoir at a minimum of every 7 days. I actually change my reservoir and nutes every 3 to 4 days (advanced nutes mind you)...but I have the money, time, and ability...Slide the reservoir out, get a second hand, then scrub and clean...I actually used to grow many plants in one reservoir and it got real heavy like you described. I had knee surgeries and they gave me a walker, I used it to hold my lid and plants while I cleaned my reservoir. The plants loved the air and they were a great audience while I cleaned their home, their previous ancestors at least made me high enough I swore their leaves were clapping!!!!!! After all, if it smells like sewer, it probably is going to taste like sewer. My plants are my babies..They get fed like I do...steak and potatoes and plenty of protein shakes to wash it down with....:goodluck:

Ive used the Ebb 2 years straight....I dump the res with a sump pump mounted to the wall and suck it dry...I dont wipe or rinse...fill with fresh and renute...7 days.....as far as "flushing" the pots, unless there is an issue then dont worry about it, if you do have an issue then I run a few gallons from the top down....redrain.
I dont worry about the residual in the bottom of the buckets.
just another opinion....

OK. I think I was probably freaking about nothing. The girls ended up producing quite well for us and there is no issue with the taste of the smoke.

It is good to hear from PV that I shouldn't need to worry about a more thorough cleaning regimen. I started modeling my reservoir and nutrient processes from the volumes of advice PV has posted and its worked great for me so far. I think I'll follow your advice on this one too. Thanks Pitviper.

Back
Top Bottom