EC throughout grow?

Dank91

Can anybody share what EC they typically run during late veg and transition? Any help is much appreciated as I've been trying to dial in my nutes. Thanks

I'm running botanicare PB series with my hydro grow but their doseage rates are pretty high on the EC.

Stole this from LEDBud.. will edit with a link to his/her journal

Almost forgot about the PPM Guide I plan to use

Nutrient Solution PPM per Stage (Suggested)

Indica's
Seedlings and clones 300-400ppm 5.3-5.5 ph
early vegg 500-600ppm 5.3-5.6 ph
middle vegg 600-800ppm 5.4-5.6 ph
late vegg 800-1000ppm 5.5-5.7 ph
early flower 1000-1300ppm 5.5-5.7 ph
middle flower 1400-1600ppm 5.5-5.8 ph
late flower 1000-1100ppm 5.5-5.7 ph
ripening 300-500ppm 5.4-5.6 ph

sativa's
seedlings and clones 250-350ppm 5.3-5.5 ph
early vegg 300-500ppm 5.3-5.6 ph
middle vegg 500-700ppm 5.4-5.6 ph
late vegg 700-900ppm 5.5-5.7 ph
early flower 1000-1100ppm 5.5-5.7 ph
middle flower 1100-1300ppm 5.5-5.8 ph
late flower 800-1000ppm 5.5-5.7 ph

Don't take it as gospel , its something I found online and will try it out somewhat.
Never know if the plants will like it unless they get a chance with it

Currently my base water is 125ppm micro Grow and flower are at 400 and cal mag is at 150ppm

PH down added 150ppm for a total reading of 825 ppm , a strong dose by any standard at this early stage and still not a sign of leaf tip burn (yet)

Edit..
Maybe I shouldn't advertise others work. I don't want to plagerize and this is a good summary of what makes sense. Maybe LEDBud will chime in, but if you want to follow a clean journal, look him up.

Perhaps you guys should mention conversion so thread doesn't get confusing. There are people from USA and UK here

I've heard botanicare nutes being dosed real high with no burns. Maybe someone has a journal on same nutes ur using.

Sent from my iPhone using 420

Stole this from LEDBud.. will edit with a link to his/her journal

Almost forgot about the PPM Guide I plan to use

Nutrient Solution PPM per Stage (Suggested)

Indica's
Seedlings and clones 300-400ppm 5.3-5.5 ph
early vegg 500-600ppm 5.3-5.6 ph
middle vegg 600-800ppm 5.4-5.6 ph
late vegg 800-1000ppm 5.5-5.7 ph
early flower 1000-1300ppm 5.5-5.7 ph
middle flower 1400-1600ppm 5.5-5.8 ph
late flower 1000-1100ppm 5.5-5.7 ph

sativa's
seedlings and clones 250-350ppm 5.3-5.5 ph
early vegg 300-500ppm 5.3-5.6 ph
middle vegg 500-700ppm 5.4-5.6 ph
late vegg 700-900ppm 5.5-5.7 ph
early flower 1000-1100ppm 5.5-5.7 ph
middle flower 1100-1300ppm 5.5-5.8 ph
late flower 800-1000ppm 5.5-5.7 ph

Don't take it as gospel , its something I found online and will try it out somewhat.
Never know if the plants will like it unless they get a chance with it

Currently my base water is 125ppm micro Grow and flower are at 400 and cal mag is at 150ppm

PH down added 150ppm for a total reading of 825 ppm , a strong dose by any standard at this early stage and still not a sign of leaf tip burn (yet)

Edit..
Maybe I shouldn't advertise others work. I don't want to plagerize and this is a good summary of what makes sense. Maybe LEDBud will chime in, but if you want to follow a clean journal, look him up.

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I'm gonna have to go check him out. I know botanicare uses the EC to PPM conversion of X 700 oppose to most brands I believe use X 500 on their nutes.

I use the botanicare nutes. Mostly growing in sunshine mix (peat/perlite). Also some drain to waste hydro in perlite only, and some coco. I tend to feed a bit low probably by some standards but I'm not seeing underfed plants so I'm happy that way.

All my ppm numbers are at .5 conversion.

Young plants in veg- I just feed these with plain water which has Botanicare calmag added as a base at about 200ppm. This calmag has almost as much N as the Grow does so it works fine for the purpose.

Plants up to 4 or 5" high are fine with this. Once they get a few leaves I bump it up a little by adding some Grow. Mid sized plants 8-12" high get about 400-500ppm.
It's not really so important what you do in veg. I just give them light feedings. If they seem hungry I add a little more grow or just feed more often.
Feeding in veg is the easiest thing in the world.

So
Seedlings- calmag base@ 150-200 ppm
4-8". 300-400 ppm
8-16". 450-600 ppm

Flowering - pure sativas -

I max out at 750 for the sativas. That usually gives them slight nute burn so it's a little high. I can pretty much run all the way through flowering at about 650 ppm. I do mess around with the N level. As I mentioned the calmag has quite a bit of N. PBP has a bit as well so later in flowering I sometimes switch to using Hydroplex which has no nitrogen, depending on the plant and how it's looking. I've ordered a calmag with no N nute to have some more control over that N thing.

Flowering- indicas

I max out at about 1250 ppm for the heavy feeders have in the room, like Critical Cheese and Pineapple Chunk.

Drain-to- waste hydro - I tend to stay around 600-650 ppm for the drain to waste, feeding 1-3 times per day. This has worked very well for me.

For the first week of flowering I use Grow nutes. Second week half and half. Third week usually some grow as well. You also have to keep the calmag levels up during this time.

I don't really get too worried about doing the bell curve shaped ramp up to high levels in mid flowering. I just kind of juggle things a little- maybe feed a little more often mid flowering. I do taper off feedings a month before harvest and for the last two weeks use bloom nutes at about 300. Sometimes water only depending how the plant looks.

It's more important to have a health plant and not overfed than it is to be constantly pushing the maximum feeding level. A healthy plant will produce better than a plant that is always maxed out on the nutes, in my opinion.

This may be a little mangled and full of typos. :lot-o-toke: Any questions just ask, also I can point to any number of examples of things in my journals.

Here is a plant grown 12/12 from seed in a solo cup size container in coco. Drain to waste setup being fed three times a day. The highest ppm I reached was 650 - mostly hovered around 600 for all of flowering.
image10739.jpeg

I don't know what sort of Hydro you are using but the DTW style of multiple light feedings works very well in my experience.

I use the botanicare nutes. Mostly growing in sunshine mix (peat/perlite). Also some drain to waste hydro in perlite only, and some coco. I tend to feed a bit low probably by some standards but I'm not seeing underfed plants so I'm happy that way.

All my ppm numbers are at .5 conversion.

Young plants in veg- I just feed these with plain water which has Botanicare calmag added as a base at about 200ppm. This calmag has almost as much N as the Grow does so it works fine for the purpose.

Plants up to 4 or 5" high are fine with this. Once they get a few leaves I bump it up a little by adding some Grow. Mid sized plants 8-12" high get about 400-500ppm.
It's not really so important what you do in veg. I just give them light feedings. If they seem hungry I add a little more grow or just feed more often.
Feeding in veg is the easiest thing in the world.

So
Seedlings- calmag base@ 150-200 ppm
4-8". 300-400 ppm
8-16". 450-600 ppm

Flowering - pure sativas -

I max out at 750 for the sativas. That usually gives them slight nute burn so it's a little high. I can pretty much run all the way through flowering at about 650 ppm. I do mess around with the N level. As I mentioned the calmag has quite a bit of N. PBP has a bit as well so later in flowering I sometimes switch to using Hydroplex which has no nitrogen, depending on the plant and how it's looking. I've ordered a calmag with no N nute to have some more control over that N thing.

Flowering- indicas

I max out at about 1250 ppm for the heavy feeders have in the room, like Critical Cheese and Pineapple Chunk.

Drain-to- waste hydro - I tend to stay around 600-650 ppm for the drain to waste, feeding 1-3 times per day. This has worked very well for me.

For the first week of flowering I use Grow nutes. Second week half and half. Third week usually some grow as well. You also have to keep the calmag levels up during this time.

I don't really get too worried about doing the bell curve shaped ramp up to high levels in mid flowering. I just kind of juggle things a little- maybe feed a little more often mid flowering. I do taper off feedings a month. Score harvest and for the last two weeks use bloom nutes at about 300. Sometimes water only depending how the plant looks.

It's more important to have a health plant and not overfed than it is to be constantly pushing the maximum feeding level. A healthy plant will produce better than a plant that is always maxed out on the nutes, in my opinion.

This may be a little mangled. Any questions just ask, also I can point to any number of examples of things in my journals.

Here is a plant grown 12/12 from seed in a solo curing size container in coco. Drain to waste setup being fed three times a day. The highest ppm I reached was 650 - mostly hovered around 600 for all of flowering.
image10739.jpeg

I don't know what sort of Hydro you are using but the DTW style of multiple light feedings works very well in my experience.

Thanks I appreciate this info alot. My plants were showing deficiencies which I believe were nitrogen deficiency related but may have also been a little calmag related as well. I'm currently in first day of transition and I bumped my nutes up to 1.7 EC which is 1190 PPM for botanicares line. My medium is also 6" rockwool which I'm still trying to get the hang of, but I am doing drain to waste. Would you happen to know the reason when the run off EC is dropping and the PH rises. How often do u water, and is it just during daytime? Thanks in advance

For the drain to waste plants I never give them plain water- just light nutes as I described. I don't think you'd want to ever give them water-only. I could be wrong. But a plant in a medium like rock wool given water only would show deficiencies pretty fast from starvation I would think.

I'm actually not positive about this and might just be talking shit- you may want to ask around.

If you're feeding often then feed lighter. There aren't many people on 420 growing in rockwool right now but I can point you to at least one and he would know better than me how to answer some of your questions.

The DTW run I did in solo cups needed three feedings a day in order to not dry out. I just feed/water however many times per day/week are necessary- so that depends on the plant size and the container size.

The run I'm currently doing in one gallon pots of perlite can get by with just one feeding per day. I set up an electric pump in a timer, a garbage can for a reservoir with a nute mix in it, and a simple system of hoses for feeding the plants. It's detailed more in my second journal.

There are different ways of doing it. I haven't tried doing DTW with heavy feedings like you are. I've only done the multiple light feeding thing.

For my next run in coco I'll probably feed twice a day. It just depends how big they are. The aim is to balance things out so they dry out a little between waterings.

For one feeding per day I set it up to feed around the time the lights come on. I don't think it matters hugely when you feed.
Run-off is important in my opinion. You want to flush out the medium each time.

As for the EC dropping- if I understand your question-that would be normal I think because the plant eats some. And ph usually rises in the root zone. That's normal. I wouldn't spend any time looking at measuring runoff unless there's a growth problem. Just focus on making sure what goes in is good.

That early flowering yellowing is a common problem. You have to keep the nitrogen level up a bit till they show flowers, and always keep that base calmag level going too.

Thanks again I appreciate this info alot. Yea I usually just feed as soon as the lights come on as those rockwool cubes retain alot of water, but I'm sure I'll have to start doing small feeds throughout the day. I have each rockwool cube plumbed up to drippers so this should be achievable. I've been testing the run off of all my trays to ensure its close as to what i've been top feeding because that's just what I've heard before. I have heard to flush with plain ph'd water and I have also heard just to flush with fresh nutes which is what I've done in my Lil flushes that I've done. I'm hoping the lower yellowing does go away this week but we shall see.

I'll check into that tomorrow as I am new to this page and barely know how to get around it lol. Thanks again I appreciate the chat and knowledge shared.

Back
Top Bottom