Emmie's Breeder's Run: Chemdog IBL BP#6 x Blowfish F2 By Santero

Here is what I was looking for, on our CD female. I believe this one fingered leaf twist is what we are looking for, and it is indeed very distinctive. Santi, this was two separate leaves on the same side of the plant.

cd_leaf_twist_2.JPG

cd_leaf_twist_1.JPG

Here are a couple shots of the veg canopy as of today... getting very bushy in here.

veg_right1.JPG

veg_left1.JPG

Yep, definitely have seen that twist.

Been staying busy with the lines and now have 9 CD clones working, two of them males. Yep, I cloned two males. All of the blue cups are CD.

cd_clones_2_males.JPG

Also today, our older CD has been moved to the bloom tent, still vegging... but with a lot more room to do it in and with a bit more light and air. She was carefully stripped out of her 2 gallon smart pot and moved into a 7 gallon container, watered to saturation and given another small trim in the lower regions. The plan is to now veg for another month, and to trim these 4 plants into the monsters we all know that they want to be.

cd_transplanted.JPG

One thing that has been noted here, that may also be the reason for the odd leaf twist. This line appears to be very photosensitive. Leaves that had been close to the agromax bulbs in the veg tent were starting to show signs of sunburn, and I needed to get them away from that light.

After moving the plants to the bloom tent and doing their up-potting, the big Raptor hood with a single 600w HPS was moved down to about two feet away from the tops of the plants. This morning I noticed all the signs of sunburn at the tops of the plants... several leaves curled and burned, freaked out looks from the girls, all while some leaves were tenuously reaching up to the light, handling it just fine. These are some sensitive girls.

I have backed the lights up another 6 inches or so, and told them to get used to it... this is the new reality. They gave me a funny look, but they understood. It is time for some serious vegging now girls... let's get to work.

Here is the tribe today... everyone is doing quite well.

the_tribe.JPG

And here is our older girl, sitting over in the bloom tent under 12-1 lighting. These girls have gotten over the sunburn thing and now are turning into bushes, and getting fatter every day. I expect a big growth spurt this week since they should now be establishing into the 7 gallon smart pots, and with the watering this afternoon, I added fish emulsion and dandelion flowering extract to the mix, the first nutrients these plants have seen. I plan on 2 more weeks of this, followed by a ramping up of nutes, starting with calcium phosphate and as flowering sets in, and a couple of other surprises to get flowering going real well as I flip to 12/12.

cd_2_weeks_left.JPG

On this update I will concentrate on the veg tent. We now have 6 of our ChemDog's up-potted to 1 gallon smart pots, with one more and a couple of males still left to work with. Along with these, we have up-potted our electro experiment with 3 Chocolate Cheeses, and we have 9 more still in solo cups. Some of these will have to go... there is only so much room. I also have a patient who needs a few. We will see what survives all the way to flower.

The plan is to have one more big run, and then shut down in the spring for vacations. The plan for that big run is for a 3 gallon sea of green with 16-20 plants. Here are two shots, showing the left side and right side of the tent.

left_veg.JPG

right_veg.JPG

Here for Santi, are a couple of shots of our girls showing some personality.

personality.JPG

lets_do_the_twist.JPG

(Bloom Tent, Day 1)

Greetings everyone! First, let me say welcome to DTRave420 and thank you for all the likes and thank you messages! Dave the Rave is a great friend and supporter of Emmie's Gardens, and I am thrilled that he has joined us here at 420 Magazine! I hope you all can get to know him, he is a great great guy and huge supporter of the cannabis community. Glad to have you here my dear friend!

Next, an update! Today is the first day of flower for our girl in the bloom tent and her lights were only on for 12 hours today. I have set my calendar for 65 days from now, and we will see what happens. In about 10-12 days I expect to see bud set and two things will happen. First, I am going to try out my ideas in DIY'ing a cationic drench and foliar feeding at this critical time. Second... one of those branches is getting pollinated with our CD pollen that is sitting in a pill bottle in my fridge.

The next waterings are going to start featuring my DIY Calcium-Phosphorus-Magnesium supplement, as well as my DIY Dandelion Flowering extract. Tonight on lights on, I plan on spending some extra time in the bloom tent, cleaning up all of the undergrowth and getting us ready for flower. Tonight I feel is the last chance to do this, for I follow my adage that in veg, plants adapt... but in flower they react. I don't want to be chopping on them much after this. I will move a MH bulb in there while I work tonight so I can get some good pictures of the very healthy girls as we move forward to the next stage.

In veg we have a huge December run in the works, and I am working to keep about 20 plants happy in their 1 gallon smart pots (or solo cups) and am uppotting and training them as each become necessary. There are 9 chemdog females, and these two precocious CD IBL double top males, as a backup in case we have trouble with the original pollen taken over a month ago.

cd_split_males.JPG

I forgot to mention an important change in the bloom tent this round. I have the capability of running two 600w bulbs inside of my huge Raptor AC Hood, and with all the fans that I run, heat is not a problem. Being an experimenter as well as a miser, I have been reluctant however to run all of that wattage full time... until now.

Two runs ago I experimented by turning on the second light, a HPS, for 3 hours around the noon time to supplement the first and primary MH light, and simulate the noon day sun. The experiment was a success, and the buds were better and the weight was heavier, than just running a single 600w bulb.

The next run, I upped the exposure of the second bulb by an hour, running it for 4 hours each day, again centered around noon. I also made the HPS the primary that time and made the MH the secondary bulb. Again, an improvement in bud size and quality and weight was observed.

This time I am going full bat guano crazy and running both lights full time. For 12 hours a day the plants now get 1200w of multi-source, multi-spectrum light. I expect to see a huge increase in all aspects as a result of this additional 50c/day cost in electricity over the last run. Total, just in that one tent I am spending $1.58 in electricity per day and bloom for these 4 plants will cost approximately $102. It is time to stop being such a miser... $25 per plant is not bad at all.

Also, with good setup for air flow, even in August and September, it was not as hard to remove heat from the area as I thought it would be and costs were down from what I projected them to be in the hot months where typically I shut down for a while. I seem to be rethinking everything around here again... and because of it, things are going much more smoothly than ever before.

So, no pictures today, but we are about 4 days into the transition to flower, and so far there is nothing major to report. I expect a bit of stretch to start being a problem in the next few days, and I will be raising the light as necessary. The plants have all gotten down to a 2 day wet/dry cycle in their 7 gallon containers, and at this stage they have been getting fish juice and cal-mag-phos as their major supplements.

As soon as bud set is determined, I am going to attempt a DIY version of a cationic drench involving aloe vera juice as a wetting agent and a heavy dose of cal-mag-phos and bone meal, all run through a 2 day AACT to get everything really energized. It is my theory that the heavy phosphorus hit and silicates in the aloe will greatly add to the cation level of the soil. I will also be doing a foliar feeding of lactobacillus serum mixed with the only commercial product I still have around simply because it is so valuable, Liquid Karma... just for its vitamin and amino acid mix. If I have this figured right, the plants should show an immediate improvement and robustness that they would not have been able to achieve without these steps. My thoughts and thanks go out to Doc for his work in this area and the ideas that provide the basis for this experiment and to SweetSue who first got me reading about soil cation holding ability.

The experiments never stop... thank you for looking in to see what I am doing.

Blessings,
Emmie

I forgot to mention an important change in the bloom tent this round. I have the capability of running two 600w bulbs inside of my huge Raptor AC Hood, and with all the fans that I run, heat is not a problem. Being an experimenter as well as a miser, I have been reluctant however to run all of that wattage full time... until now.

Two runs ago I experimented by turning on the second light, a HPS, for 3 hours around the noon time to supplement the first and primary MH light, and simulate the noon day sun. The experiment was a success, and the buds were better and the weight was heavier, than just running a single 600w bulb.

The next run, I upped the exposure of the second bulb by an hour, running it for 4 hours each day, again centered around noon. I also made the HPS the primary that time and made the MH the secondary bulb. Again, an improvement in bud size and quality and weight was observed.

This time I am going full bat guano crazy and running both lights full time. For 12 hours a day the plants now get 1200w of multi-source, multi-spectrum light. I expect to see a huge increase in all aspects as a result of this additional 50c/day cost in electricity over the last run.

Alright!!! Way to go Em, a pleasure watching you work... :)

(flower, day 13)

Today finds us in full budset and stretch almost to the limits of my system. The lights have been moved to the top of the yo-yo and if I end up needing the extra 4 inches, I will have to tie the lights directly to the overhead support rod. I don't think that we will have to get that drastic though, and for now, rearranging things a bit has produced the headroom needed... for now.

DSCF61692.JPG

This girl is not the biggest one in the tent, but she is definitely healthy and looking to produce well with about 6 main kolas that appear to be ready to develop about a foot down into the plant. The 1200w lights are really starting to show their power in this grow, already. The last two waterings have been quite heavy with aloe and cal-mag-phos supplements, along with fish juice and dandelion growth extract. I have also been doing foliar feeds comprised of dandelion extract, Liquid Karma and lactobacillus serum. I have no idea what my brix level is at this moment, but I suspect it to be high.

cd_budset.JPG

Today was also pollination day. I picked a strong but still below the canopy bud to pollinate, and I very carefully dabbed a good bit of pollen/flour mix onto the bud and its two lower companions on the branch. A clear sandwich baggie was attached with a twist tie to seal this pollen and reduce further contamination in the high wind environment that is my bloom tent. In a day or so, we should be able to see clear evidence that this bud has been fertilized... updates on this soon. At that point the baggie will be removed and the branch thoroughly sprayed down so as to kill any remaining pollen.

pollinated_cc.JPG

(Flower, day 15)

First a shot just for Santi... the classic leaf twist of the G13:
(please do not be concerned about the white spots that you see in this shot... this is simply residue from the recent foliar feed.)
cd_twist.JPG

Pollination appears to have taken... I think that I am seeing some pistils changing color and folding back... another day will tell for sure.

The plant appears to be very strong and will be able to hold up most of its weight as the buds develop. Transpiration is amazingly strong at this point, with all the leaves reaching up to the light, and the baggies that I attached to the pollinated buds were filled with several grams of water. This plant is definitely moving some water!

Here is today's picture, and please note the depth of the kola setup under the bright lights:

cd13.JPG

(flower, day 17)

One of the two main things to note today is that pollination has taken... so the buds have been sprayed down and allowed to dry and rejoin the rest of the room.
cd_pollinated_2_.JPG

Next, just a pretty picture of top of the plant... she is a sturdy thing...

cd_2_2.JPG

And lastly, a close up of the bud where clearly an early frost is beginning. I am not sure if this is a direct result of the DIY cationic drench I have been giving them, or the genetics... but here you have it... we have liftoff. This is good... very good.

cdbud.JPG

Back
Top Bottom