Ethics Expert Cautions Advertising Medical Marijuana

Weedpipe

420 Member
DENVER - As more medical marijuana dispensaries continue to open around the state, you may have noticed more advertisements on the air, and in newspapers and magazines.

Despite the boom, a business ethics expert says media companies need to use caution when airing or publicizing medical marijuana ads.

"I think they should tread carefully," DU business ethics and legal studies Professor John Holcomb said.

Medical marijuana dispensaries are pulling out all the stops to attract business.

From radio spots, to newspaper ads, Holcomb says media companies need to do some research before taking that revenue.

"If you're going to carry their advertisements it behooves you to do some due diligence to find out if these are legitimate actors or more suspect actors," Holcomb said.

Holcomb says there's no legal liability for companies that choose to advertise dispensaries, but he says it's more of an ethical issue.

If a dispensary gets caught breaking the law, for example, Holcomb says that could tarnish the company's reputation.

Plus, because marijuana is still illegal at the federal level, some consumers may not support that type of advertising.

"I think for most of the public that it does raise some concerns, that we might be crossing the line ethically when we start to over promote these things," Holcomb explained.

Jim Bent of Patients Choice of Colorado thinks media companies should consider dispensary ads as long as the dispensary's message is delivered in a professional manner.

"I can understand that, especially with everything that's happening, to do some background checks maybe, to make sure they are who they say they are," Bent said.

Bent's dispensary advertises in three different medical marijuana trade magazines.

He spends several hundred dollars a week on the ads.

Bent says media outlets shouldn't treat pot dispensary ads any different than companies advertising prescription drugs.

"Look to see how much good it's doing. If we can advertise pharmaceutical drugs that 85 percent, 75 percent of the ad is side affects, I mean why won't we advertise medical marijuana?" Bent asked.

Regarding 9NEWS advertising, General Manager Mark Cornetta issued the following statement: "At this time, 9NEWS has decided not to accept advertising from medical marijuana dispensaries."

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: 9NEWS.com
Author: Dan Boniface - Eric Kahnert
Copyright: 2010 Multimedia Holdings Corporation
Website: Ethics expert cautions advertising medical marijuana

Back
Top Bottom