Federal Court Tells The DEA To Stop Harassing Medical Marijuana Providers

Jacob Redmond

In a scathing decision, a federal court in California has ruled that the Drug Enforcement Administration's interpretation of a recent medical marijuana bill "defies language and logic," "tortures the plain meaning of the statute" and is "at odds with fundamental notions of the rule of law." The ruling could have a broad impact on the DEA's ability to prosecute federal medical marijuana cases going forward.

At issue is the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment to last year's government spending bill. The amendment lists the states that have medical marijuana laws and mandates that the Justice Department is barred from using federal funds to "prevent such States from implementing their own State laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession, or cultivation of medical marijuana." Pretty straightforward, right?

When the legislation was passed, advocates and lawmakers on both sides of the issue agreed that the bill basically prevented the DEA from going after medical marijuana dispensaries, provided that such dispensaries were acting in compliance with state law. The DEA, however, didn't see it that way. In a leaked memo, the Justice Department contended that the amendment only prevents actions against actual states – not against the individuals or businesses that actually carry out marijuana laws. In their interpretation, the bill still allowed them to pursue criminal and civil actions against medical marijuana businesses and the patients who patronized them.

The DoJ's reading of the amendment infuriated its sponsors. They called for an investigation into the Department of Justice's "tortuous twisting of the text" of the bill, saying it violated common sense. Yesterday, Judge Charles Breyer of the U.S. District Court in northern California agreed.

Breyer goes through the arguments against the DoJ's case, referring to the floor debate as well as the plain language of the bill. But, "having no substantive response or evidence, the Government simply asserts that it 'need not delve into legislative history here' because the meaning of the statute is clearly in its favor," Breyer writes. "The Court disagrees." He called the DoJ's interpretation of the amendment "counterintuitive and opportunistic."

Seeing it as perhaps the final nail in the coffin of the DEA's years-long involvement with California's medical marijuana program, medical marijuana advocates are cheering the ruling. "It's great to see the judicial branch finally starting to hold the Justice Department accountable for its willful violation of Congress's intent to end federal interference with state medical marijuana laws," said Tom Angell of Marijuana Majority.

Dan Riffle of the Marijuana Policy Project agreed. "This is a big win for medical marijuana patients and their providers," he wrote in a statement, "and a significant victory in our efforts to end the federal government's war on marijuana. Federal raids of legitimate medical marijuana businesses aren't just stupid and wasteful, but also illegal."

The amendment's congressional sponsors are happy too. "After months of experiencing the Department of Justice's refusal to follow the letter and intent of the 'Rohrabacher-Farr' provision, a federal court has finally reined them in," said Rep. Dana Rohrabacher in an email. "Judge Breyer's rebuke of DoJ's ridiculous interpretation of our amendment is most welcomed."

The ruling could discourage the DoJ from creative interpretations of the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment going forward, which should let medical marijuana businesses and their patients in 23 states breathe a sigh of relief.

Lynette Shaw, owner of the Marin Alliance for Medical Marijuana, the dispensary whose case was at issue in the federal ruling, told the San Francisco Chronicle that "we won the war. And I'm the first POW to be released."

Neither the Justice Department nor the DEA responded to a request for comment.

14836.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Federal Court Tells The DEA To Stop Harassing Medical Marijuana Providers
Author: Christopher Ingraham
Photo Credit: The Drug Enforcement Administration

They are in jail : the open air jail we call America. Osama Bin Laden was right when he said America was going to become the world's largest abuser of human rights and that the Bill of Rights would be abrogated and virtually ignored. We are at that point now. To truly see that you need look only to the cases the Innocence Project works on and the cases of Dale Johnston and Tyrone Noling here in Ohio. The only bright spots are the good men like Jim Petro. Mike Dewine is the polar opposite of Jim Petro, truly a Nazi wrapped in a red white and blue flag. The cops can create a police state because the judiciary is now totally complicit in the crimes of the police. Makes you feel real safe doesn't it? The cops can and will put what ever they can dream up into an affidavit, and it cannot be questioned. Makes you feel real safe. It's like the wizard of OZ, " I don't believe in spooks, I don't believe in spooks......." The US is not a police state, until you fall into the rapacious jaws of the wolves, then it is too late to believe and let that belief galvanize you into action. The time for action is far past. We've been asleep at the switch, and the only ones to blame are ourselves.

I have noticed that Many of the People freed from a wrongful conviction were convicted by embellishments made by the Prosecutor and are void of any meaningful facts.

They can pick up off the street pressure a witness to lie and convict you with your own Tax dollars.

It happens all the time.

My best advice I can offer anyone is NEVER talk to a Cop - never ever never if you Value your freedom you *MUST* ask for a Lawyer or just do not answer his questions, they are trick questions that they use to Convict you with , Innocent or not. Please heed this Advice.

I am a strong advocate for mandatory police body cameras. And if they accidentally turn them off, then their case should go with it. Besides follow the news I also watch all the debates and almost fell out of bed the other night watching the last republican debate. 3 of the candidates openly stated that the US government has been stealing from Social Security. Not one person spoke up and said whoa, wait a minute, they borrowed money from it, it was NOT stolen. If the police are aware of a crime, they are required by law to pursue it and determine if any laws were broken. Last I checked, stealing is against the law. They like throwing people in jail so much, how about we go back 50 years and arrest, convict and jail every congressman and senator who voted yes on "STEALING" money from Social Security to fund their pet projects. Because we all know, not one of them ever intended on paying that money back ever. Not once have they ever replaced any of the money they appropriated.
Sorry I will get off my soap box, i just get worked up when I have to face the facts that the foxes are in control of the hen house and I am suppose to relax and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

I have noticed that Many of the People freed from a wrongful conviction were convicted by embellishments made by the Prosecutor and are void of any meaningful facts.

They can pick up off the street pressure a witness to lie and convict you with your own Tax dollars.

It happens all the time.

My best advice I can offer anyone is NEVER talk to a Cop - never ever never if you Value your freedom you *MUST* ask for a Lawyer or just do not answer his questions, they are trick questions that they use to Convict you with , Innocent or not. Please heed this Advice.

Fuck the cops of all stripes. In the world of the walking dead, Rick the cop would have been killed within days,and not be the hero of the show. One of the three questions would have to be were you a cop, not how many people have you killed. When the currency crisis comes, and it is coming, which will make the banking crisis of 2008 look like a small wave compared to the tsunami coming, the cops will pay for what they have turned America into. Their police state will evaporate, and their toadies the judiciary will burn their robes and hide. Remember, never aid, talk to, give information to, be friendly with, in any way Mr. Officer Friendly who is our deadly enemy, always will be. The good people who become cops are soon harassed and drummed out of the cop forces. Like I said, fuck the cops, and the horses they rode in on. They never " accidentally" turn body cameras off. They get turned off so that the said cop can kill or abuse you. Like I said, fuck a cop. The prosecution doesn't embellish, they conceal evidence, lie, and get their cop buddies to lie too, all under the wink wink nod nod smiles of their judicial toads. Jim Petro is and was that very rare prosecutor interested in justice. There plain ain't NO good judges.

I am a strong advocate for mandatory police body cameras. And if they accidentally turn them off, then their case should go with it. Besides follow the news I also watch all the debates and almost fell out of bed the other night watching the last republican debate. 3 of the candidates openly stated that the US government has been stealing from Social Security. Not one person spoke up and said whoa, wait a minute, they borrowed money from it, it was NOT stolen. If the police are aware of a crime, they are required by law to pursue it and determine if any laws were broken. Last I checked, stealing is against the law. They like throwing people in jail so much, how about we go back 50 years and arrest, convict and jail every congressman and senator who voted yes on "STEALING" money from Social Security to fund their pet projects. Because we all know, not one of them ever intended on paying that money back ever. Not once have they ever replaced any of the money they appropriated.
Sorry I will get off my soap box, i just get worked up when I have to face the facts that the foxes are in control of the hen house and I am suppose to relax and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Hahaha. That was what caused you to almost fall out of bed? hahahaha. the Republican debates are a real clown show.

Hey Dr.
I do tend to ramble, my bad.
Both parties are the real clown show but worse then that is the American people. Many have been blinded by propaganda crammed down our throats, every day through TV Movies advertising and all the rest that I am not sure if anyone really knows the real truth anymore. I believe that for many, it is easier to play ignorant and bliss, then to be forced to face reality. Heck I am not completely sure I know reality from the BS propaganda anymore. One thing I do believe though is this. 1st off this country and the world for that fact is right on track with where the people who run it want it to be. Will we crash? If that makes them more money in the long run, they do not care. Will America survive the upcoming rises and falls of the world economies? Only if it is profitable to the one who actually call the shots. Now the real question is who is calling the shots. I do not know, I do know it is not the president, or congress.. or even the senate. They are merely puppets to distract us all from paying attention to the man behind the curtain.

So if you find my comment humorous thats cool with me, we each are entitled to our own opinions and yours is just as important as mine.
Peace

Back
Top Bottom