Feinstein's Nanny Senate Bill Forces Patients to Smoke Pot

In another misguided attempt to tell the American People that that are too stupid to know what is good for them, Dianne Feinstein (D), Senator from California introduced a bill (S258) that would force medical cannabis patients to smoke marijuana by doubling the federal penalties for distributing medical marijuana edibles.

Coyly named "Saving Kids from Dangerous Drugs Act, Senate Bill 258, makes no exception for medical cannabis. Since there is no nationwide movement to lace children's candy with ***, ******, or ***************s, clearly, this bill is targets legitimate medical marijuana dispensaries operating in states that have legalized it as medicine.

If this bill, which comes up soon for a floor vote, passes, patients who use edibles to relieve pain, ease digestion, or reduce neuropathy will be driven to smoke marijuana rather than ingesting it orally.

Though significant studies have shown that marijuana smoke does not cause cancer, and may even to protect against it, all smoke contains particulate matter which can irritate the lungs. While vaporizing the medication can go a long way to relieve this irritation, edibles supply a sustained, longer-lasting dose of medication, that, for instance, can carry a patient, pain-free, throughout the night.

There are two exceptions in this bill, but they do nothing to protect legitimate medical marijuana patients or their providers, since the federal government does not acknowledge any legitimacy of medical cannabis.

Though marijuana is legal as medicine in 14 states, the federal government has not yet removed whole cannabis from Schedule I (the most restricted category, defined as having no current use for treatment in the United States), though THC, the active, psychotropic ingredient in cannabis is placed in the much more relaxed Schedule III, and is sold, under FDA approval, as Marinol.

This legislation would be fine, if it also changed the category of whole cannabis to Schedule III or lower, but as it stands now, this bill specifically targets legitimate medical marijuana dispensaries who have pioneered the development of alternative forms of edibles for their patients.

The full text of the bill can be read here.

Make your own views known to your senators by clicking here.

How to contact Senator Feinstein to voice your opinion about this legislation:

Senator Dianne Feinstein
United States Senate
331 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510
Phone: (202) 224-3841
Fax: (202) 228-3954
TTY/TDD: (202) 224-2501

Click here to email the senator.

A review of the top 20 contributors of Senator Feinstein's campaigns indicates that she is heavily financed by large law firms which to stand to gain from ensuing litigation.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Open Salon
Author: Brinna Nanda
Copyright: 2010 Salon Media Group, Inc.
Website: Feinstein's Nanny Senate Bill Forces Patients to Smoke Pot

* Thanks to Brinna for submitting this article

And these are the people we want to tax and regulate our marijuana.

Again vote no and vote these people out of office. If you give them control over our mmj you are just asking to be a slave to whatever they dictate. Again prop 19 gives them the power to tell you what you can and can not do.

Vote No on 19 and Vote for someone else other than Feinstein

Feinstein has no say (other than her one vote) on whether or not this proposition passes. It is the will of the people. How about instead of just voting her out, why don't you pick up a phone or write a letter, email and tell Mrs. Feinstein how you feel. How about doing something other than guessing that more will go to jail.

Kind of confusing there GanjaAL. You and Mrs. Feinstein are on the same page. She doesn't like prop 19 either. Why would you want her voted out?

It's not perfect but prop 19 will be a positive for the state of California. Less people will go to jail, not more. The language about minors is not going to be an issue. I am sorry people 18 to 20 will not be allowed into this deal but you have the draw the line somewhere.

Again prop 19 gives them the power to tell you what you can and can not do.

Aren't they telling us right now? Isn't that why they call it a law?

On the whole tax issue. It is kinda funny how in the state of california there is no tax on meds or produce but yet we are advocating tax on the same.

On the whole tax issue. It is kinda funny how in the state of california there is no tax on meds or produce but yet we are advocating tax on the same.

You're against legalization because minors can't smoke and taxes will be paid.

Forget all the people that would get access to cannabis through Prop 19 because your situation is covered right? You can get your weed now, so the state of CA should wait until a bill fitting your approval manifests itself on Sacramento’s door step?

Cannabis and apples are not even in the same group. Foods provide calories which are necessary if you want to live. Cannabis makes living nice, but it's not paramount to ones ability to continue living...although it may feel that way. Junk foods and other non-essentials do get taxed.

Taxes pay for services like the military, schools and everything else you've benefited from as an American.

People tend to think I am against legalization but I am not. I am just realistic in the fact that rec use with not further our cause regardless if prop19 passes or fails but it is mmj that can change even the most hardend conservitive.

Also with the new view of the VA on MMJ for vets gives me hope that a defense at the federal level will come about by way of the mmj movement over the rec movement. I believe prop19 will hinder it and serves to make people rich over helping others accross this nation. We all know the federal government will not stand for it... but if every conservitive gets behind the mmj seen... it will only be a matter of time before every state will be able to benifit from this great plant.

People tend to think I am against legalization but I am not. I am just realistic in the fact that rec use with not further our cause regardless if prop19 passes or fails but it is mmj that can change even the most hardend conservitive.QUOTE]

Again, we already have established medical marijuana laws and a federal administration that is handling it completely different than the last administration. That is another thing to consider. This is the time to get these propals on the ballot and passed because the Obama administration is going to handle it different than a George Bush type regime. We need to be progressive in our thinking and this is the next step. Take it. Vote yes.

Sorry... I do not see it that way. Change does not come out of desperation and usually big time mistakes are made with hasty decisions. MMJ laws are the only way you are going to win over conservitives. To think the rest of the nation will fallow prop19... I just do not see. I see it as a way for them to enforce prohibition by using all the grey areas against us.

Sorry... I do not see it that way. Change does not come out of desperation and usually big time mistakes are made with hasty decisions. MMJ laws are the only way you are going to win over conservitives. To think the rest of the nation will fallow prop19... I just do not see. I see it as a way for them to enforce prohibition by using all the grey areas against us.

Nobody is in desperation. Someone took the time to write a proposition and it will be voted on. The proposition is out there in writing for everyone to see. For a long time you have been trying to stay that you are not against legalization. Now you have turned to say that there should only be medical cannabis, no recreational. "That is the only way to convince someone". But let me quote you...

Collective grows can do what is needed without fears as long as they stick within the confines of 215.

And under prop 19 the same will apply. The only issue that you have raised is about an adult giving MJ to a person under 21. Here's a tip: Follow your own advise. Follow the rules that will be established by Prop 19 and there will not be a problem. :peace:

Nobody is in desperation. Someone took the time to write a proposition and it will be voted on. The proposition is out there in writing for everyone to see. For a long time you have been trying to stay that you are not against legalization. Now you have turned to say that there should only be medical cannabis, no recreational. "That is the only way to convince someone". But let me quote you...

And under prop 19 the same will apply. The only issue that you have raised is about an adult giving MJ to a person under 21. Here's a tip: Follow your own advise. Follow the rules that will be established by Prop 19 and there will not be a problem. :peace:

Again.. you fail to relize that prop19 is a restrictive grey area that will only add to the prohibitionist agenda and will be voted in by the people.

Half the problems we have now is because of the grey area and prop 19 is full on the color grey.

Not to mention that the reason people are going to jail are not for mear possesion of on ounce but:

more than an ounce

cultivation of more than what you need at the personal level

possesion with intent to sell

giving someone more than an oz as a gift

giving it to someone under the age of 18

giving it to someone 18 and over...

again prop 19 will not stop this and this is what is filling our prisons now.

Also I just looked it up... the number one reason people are being arrested for... is for possesion of more than an oz.

Sorry but prop 19 will not stop that... if anything that number could skyrocket as more people become comfortable carring weed on there person. Aslo the fact it will not change that local LE will continue to recieve funding for busting marijuana users.

Fact as the laws are now:

possesion of an oz or less- 100.00 fine

possesion of over an oz- 6 month in hotel cali with a 500.00 fine.

Again.. you fail to relize that prop19 is a restrictive grey area that will only add to the prohibitionist agenda and will be voted in by the people.

Half the problems we have now is because of the grey area and prop 19 is full on the color grey.

Not to mention that the reason people are going to jail are not for mear possesion of on ounce but:

more than an ounce

cultivation of more than what you need at the personal level

possesion with intent to sell

giving someone more than an oz as a gift

giving it to someone under the age of 18

giving it to someone 18 and over...

again prop 19 will not stop this and this is what is filling our prisons now.

Also I just looked it up... the number one reason people are being arrested for... is for possesion of more than an oz.

Sorry but prop 19 will not stop that... if anything that number could skyrocket as more people become comfortable carring weed on there person. Aslo the fact it will not change that local LE will continue to recieve funding for busting marijuana users.

Fact as the laws are now:

possesion of an oz or less- 100.00 fine

possesion of over an oz- 6 month in hotel cali with a 500.00 fine.

These issues are not grey. They are very specific in your explaination.

-Don't carry more than an once when away from home
-Don't cultivate in a space bigger then 25 sq.ft.
-Don't give your buddy more than an once.
-Make sure your buddy is 21 or over.

It looks pretty black and white to me. And like you have stated, if you follow the rules of prop 215 you will be fine. Just apply that to Prop 19. Yes, it is that easy.

Yes I wish it was that simple... but you are not reading.

Prop19 will not stop those who are being arrested now... no matter how much you wish for it.

Again they are getting 6 months for over an oz on their person... guess what, that law will still be in effect with prop 19.

Also it is a mear infraction for an oz or less... guess what... people are still doing it and going to jail for 6 mo. That will not change unless marijuana is decriminalized or they get a rec.

Yes I wish it was that simple... but you are not reading.

Prop19 will not stop those who are being arrested now... no matter how much you wish for it.

Again they are getting 6 months for over an oz on their person... guess what, that law will still be in effect with prop 19.

Also it is a mear infraction for an oz or less... guess what... people are still doing it and going to jail for 6 mo. That will not change unless marijuana is decriminalized or they get a rec.

I am reading. Sometimes I even read it twice. I cannot connect how you come to this conclusion that more people will go to jail. Let's see.

People are being arrested because they are in possession of an once or more???

These are non-medical people, right? If you are including medical into this then where are these people. I think you mean non-medical. Current law states that is a felony violation. Technically you are right about it staying the same but you have to ask yourself "why would you be in possession of more than an once outside of your residence"? Can you give me example why a non-medical rec. user of MJ would need to have more than an once. On the medical side most dispensaries only sell up to an once at a time and the Califorinia supreme court has ruled prop 215 recommendations that limit under supplement 420 are unconstitutional. The medical side would not be effected by Prop 19 other than the price might fluctuate. I am trying to see your point but stay with on mine. Who are these people that will be arrested under prop 19 that are in voilation of the law. Please don't tell me people that are under 21 years old.

Lastly, and I don't mean to be rude but we have decriminalized MJ already. A person with no criminal record would not go to jail for growing three plants or less in California. The person would be put on deversion and placed on probation. If there weren't other issue, it drops off their record. Also, possession of an once or less is an infraction like a speeding ticket. That is decriminalized MJ. Very similar to people who are caught speeding (relatively). They are not thrown in jail. They are not made into criminals. My whole attitude is "why keep things as they are." Let's progress and take the next step.

Vote yes on 19, I am.

That is exactly my point... people will get comfortable and push the limits as they do now. Right now the biggest reason people are going to jail is possesion of more than an oz. Why because they push the limits.. they know it is only an infraction and 100.00 for an oz or less.

Now with that in mind... with the market flooded with weed... more people will have it on hand and more than likely.... more than an oz. Why.... because people are people. Hence more people in jail.

That is exactly my point... people will get comfortable and push the limits as they do now. Right now the biggest reason people are going to jail is possesion of more than an oz. Why because they push the limits.. they know it is only an infraction and 100.00 for an oz or less.

Now with that in mind... with the market flooded with weed... more people will have it on hand and more than likely.... more than an oz. Why.... because people are people. Hence more people in jail.

Dude! What? You said people go to jail because they cannot control themselves? Why??? What would you say to a medical cannabis patient who sells MMJ to a non-medical user or gives it away for that matter? Wouldn't you say that is wrong that it messes it up for everyone else? GanjaAL, you have even said it. You have to stay within prop 215's law. Am I right? Why can't you apply your own reasoning to prop19? On the surface it seems very contradicting. On the one hand you tell medical MJ patients just stay within the confines of prop 215 and you will be OK. Why can't you use the same thought. Stay within the confines of prop19 and you will be fine. It is very simple and it is not a grey area.

Vote yes on Prop19, I am.

Sorry if you can not understand that there is a big difference between an oz and 8oz. No one carries 8oz but most people cary over an oz.

Hope you can understand that.

Most of the people I knew did that when I was growing up... so they would not be left short when sharing... but under prop 19 they will end up in jail still.

Am I advocating breaking the law... by no means whatsoever... however people are people and are going to do what they want carry more than an oz of weed that should be free and not taxed or prohibited.

Back
Top Bottom